Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
K, My husband was prescribed an allergy medication (Omnihist LA) that seemed to help with his IBS. We looked up the ingredients and it includes methscopaline nitrate (sorry the spelling may be wrong). When I looked up methscopaline I found out that it is Pamine. However, Pamine is methscopaline bromide. Will this make a difference? He doesn't want to keep taking the allergy medicine because the decongestant (which he doesn't need) is making him anxious. Thanks for any info you can provide.Kerri

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
It looks like Omnihist is (Generic Name: Pseudoephedrine HCl, Chlorpheniramine maleate and Scopolamine oral)Not methscopolamine. The Meth could be important. Often adding a methyl group alters the function of a molecule.OK looked up Scopolamine (hyoscine). It may be acting like the methscopaline. It is also from henbane (like Levsin is) so but what it may be doing in there is to act like a bit of a sedative to counteract the jumpiness of the decongestant. One of my Dad's asthma meds had phenobarbatol to counter act some of the jumpiness so it is done.I'm not sure if the bromide vs nitrate makes a big differnce. Just a different salt of the compound, but it could be what is making his IBS better. Additionally histamine has effects on the GI tract as well so it could be countering that.It may be worth seeing if the doc will prescribe the Pamine or Levsin (which is from henbane as well but is a different molecule--hyoscyamine. to see if it helps the IBS. Chlor-Trimeton Allergy which is OTC will have the antihistamine part in it and should have versions without the decongestant in it, so it may be interesting to see if that alone helps. Or if one of the antispasmodics alone helps.K.------------------I have no financial, academic, or any other stake in any commercial product mentioned by me.My story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html [This message has been edited by kmottus (edited 07-23-2001).]

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
It looks like Omnihist is (Generic Name: Pseudoephedrine HCl, Chlorpheniramine maleate and Scopolamine oral)Not methscopolamine. The Meth could be important. Often adding a methyl group alters the function of a molecule.OK looked up Scopolamine (hyoscine). It may be acting like the methscopaline. It is also from henbane (like Levsin is) so but what it may be doing in there is to act like a bit of a sedative to counteract the jumpiness of the decongestant. One of my Dad's asthma meds had phenobarbatol to counter act some of the jumpiness so it is done.I'm not sure if the bromide vs nitrate makes a big differnce. Just a different salt of the compound, but it could be what is making his IBS better. Additionally histamine has effects on the GI tract as well so it could be countering that.It may be worth seeing if the doc will prescribe the Pamine or Levsin (which is from henbane as well but is a different molecule--hyoscyamine. to see if it helps the IBS. Chlor-Trimeton Allergy which is OTC will have the antihistamine part in it and should have versions without the decongestant in it, so it may be interesting to see if that alone helps. Or if one of the antispasmodics alone helps.K.------------------I have no financial, academic, or any other stake in any commercial product mentioned by me.My story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html [This message has been edited by kmottus (edited 07-23-2001).]

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks K! I saw the scopamine too when I looked up omnihist, but if you look at omnihist LA, it mentions methscopalomine. Chris has switched to OTC chlortrimiton and already has pamine. We were looking for clarification as to if the pamine we already have will to the same as the methscopalomine in the omnihist LA. Looks like we will just have to take a shot in the dark and hope.Kerri

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks K! I saw the scopamine too when I looked up omnihist, but if you look at omnihist LA, it mentions methscopalomine. Chris has switched to OTC chlortrimiton and already has pamine. We were looking for clarification as to if the pamine we already have will to the same as the methscopalomine in the omnihist LA. Looks like we will just have to take a shot in the dark and hope.Kerri

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
I'd tend to think so.If the only difference is the salt that it is of it probably has the same main part. Kind like taking calcium citrate vs calcium carbonate.They may have some differences in how well they dissolve in certain situations, but the active group is the same. In a salt the bromide, citrate, nitrate, etc part falls away when it is in solution and you get a negative ion (usually the bromide, citrate, etc) and a postivie ion which whould be the calcium or methscopalomine. After it dissolves the postive ion and negative ion are the same no matter what they were originally attached to.I'm not sure why sometimes they use one salt and sometimes another, it may depend on the specific manufacturing process and how well the salt comes out of solution under whatever conditions they happen to prefer using.K.------------------I have no financial, academic, or any other stake in any commercial product mentioned by me.My story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
I'd tend to think so.If the only difference is the salt that it is of it probably has the same main part. Kind like taking calcium citrate vs calcium carbonate.They may have some differences in how well they dissolve in certain situations, but the active group is the same. In a salt the bromide, citrate, nitrate, etc part falls away when it is in solution and you get a negative ion (usually the bromide, citrate, etc) and a postivie ion which whould be the calcium or methscopalomine. After it dissolves the postive ion and negative ion are the same no matter what they were originally attached to.I'm not sure why sometimes they use one salt and sometimes another, it may depend on the specific manufacturing process and how well the salt comes out of solution under whatever conditions they happen to prefer using.K.------------------I have no financial, academic, or any other stake in any commercial product mentioned by me.My story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.