Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
61 - 80 of 120 Posts

·
Community Manager
13,177 Posts
hooray!!! they have a website now for Motegrity! progress!!

yes, fingers crossed that it's available before your GI appointment.

thanks so much for the update!

·
Registered
195 Posts
hooray!!! progress!!

yes, fingers crossed that it's available before your GI appointment.

thanks so much for the update!
If you go to the website: www.motegrity.com there is a customer service phone number (844) 447-2582.

And yes IT HAS OFFICIALLY LAUNCHED! You can get a prescription for it today.

Just to be 100% sure I called up my pharmacy (Express Scripts) and the CSR said it was available in 1mg and 2mg doses from them. I can get a 90 day supply for 53 dollars.

I'm not going to wait to see my GI in the middle of April. First thing tomorrow I'm going to schedule an appointment with my GP and try to get him to write me a prescription for it. If he says no then I will ask the GI in April. I don't care if the GI gets mad at me. I've been waiting forever to try this drug out and I don't want to wait any longer than I have to.

·
Community Manager
13,177 Posts
oh that's wonderful!!!! finally!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! what happy news!!! thanks so much for posting this!

Good! i'm so glad you decided to make an appointment with your GP and ask him to give you a script for it! hopfully he will--i don't see why not. my GP gave me a script for zelnorm back in the day.

and right--don't worry about your GI getting mad at you. IMO, if he's a good doctor and if he really cares about his patients, he shouldn't get mad. he should be happy for you that you are getting treatment. you've suffered way to much as it is.

keep us posted and good luck!

·
Community Manager
13,177 Posts
oh yes! this is huge! motegrity works so much more differently than linzess and trulance. motegrity doesn't just add water to the colon like they do. motegrity is prokinetic med that stimulates colonic peristalsis, increasing bowel motility.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Today I saw my urologist (this appointment was made weeks ago) at 7:30AM. I asked him if he would be willing to prescribe motegrity, he said no because that is not his area and its a brand new drug. I do want to say, however, that my urologist is completely awesome and if he had a twin brother who was a GI I would be in patient heaven.

Then I went to my general practitioner at 9:00AM. I specifically made an appointment with the doctor instead of one of his PAs. He's often been willing to prescribe things for me in the past and I figured I had a decent shot of getting a prescription if I got to see him. My heart sank when a PA walked through the door to the patient room, and of course, she said "no" and to ask my GI for a prescription to this medication.

Early next month I have an appointment with a colorectal surgeon. I'll go ahead and ask him as well, but if history is a guide he will say "no". Last year when I asked him for a prescription for Rifaxamin he said "no" and to try to get it from my GI.

Then on April 16th I have an appointment with the GI. He's already said "no" when I previously asked for a prescription for this so I could get it from Canada. Now that its available in the US he might be wiling to do it, but his modus operandi is to wait half a year or more after a drug is released before prescribing it to his patients, so its 50/50 at best. OTOH, I'm pretty sure that by the Fall at the latest he will be willing to write me a prescription for this.

The PA DID say she would be willing to get me a referral for another GI, but I'm hesitant to do that because that's a lottery ticket. I could get someone a whole lot worse than who I have now. The GI I have now is my 2nd one since having these problems again and the 1st one was a complete disaster.

·
Community Manager
13,177 Posts
Oh Noooooooooooo !!!!!!!!!

i am SO SORRY!!!!!!

that's just terrible!

i'm not surprised about the urologist but it was certainly worth a shot. but to have your GP's office play "bait and switch" with you--that's just not right. you're appointment was with the GP--- NOT the PA !!!! that's just not right!!! none of my doctor's offices have ever done that to me. your appointment is supposed to be with the doctor you made it with. if that doc for some reason isn't available that day, they should call you ahead if time and give you the option of seeing the PA (or another doc) but they shouldn't make you see him (her).

well, hopefully and fingers crossed your c/r surgeon will give you the script.

and i really think your GI's modus operandi is waaay too conservative especially considering that prucalopride has been available in other countries for years! you desperately need help. you've been suffering way too long. how can he not see this.

i'm so sorry. how very very frustrating and disappointing!

Reactions: wgbutler

·
Registered
195 Posts
Thanks, Annie. One of the good things about having these problems again is that it has allowed me to meet people like you.

At the risk of talking off-topic, I would like to say that it's not all bad news. I told my urologist about my GI issues and asked him if they could be related to me having chronic prostatitus (the non-bacterial version), and he said that yes chronic constipation could aggravate and irritate my prostate. He said that one thing that might help is pelvic floor physical therapy, and he's going to have his office set me up with a physical therapist! I asked him if the therapist could also assist me with my chronic constipation, and he said yes they do all of that because its all close together anyway.

I think I'm still going to allow the colorectal surgeon to do those extra tests on me, but now there is nothing to gain but knowledge since I will already have access to a pelvic floor physical therapist.

·
Community Manager
13,177 Posts
oh, thanks for the kind words. and likewise--i'm glad to have meet people like you.
smile.png

that's interesting what the urologist said. i know my C always made my bladder problems worse. and actually, based on what he said about chronic C aggravating and irritating the prostate--well, to my way of thinking, that might be a reason why he should prescribe motergrity to you--because it might help your prostate problems. but i can understand (i suppose) his retuctance to do this.

but anyway--that's great that he's sending sending you to a pelvic floor PT !!! wonderful news! these pelvic floor PTs are simply terrific---there's nothing they do not know. i asked mine tons of questions. and if it does turn out that you have pelvic floor problems or PFD, then the PT can help you with that as well, just like your urologist said. you'd be killing two birds with one stone, so to speak.

(and yes, it sure would be wonderful if your urologist had a twin brother who was a GI. he sounds like a terrific doc! )

and yes, that's a good idea to have your c/r surgeon go ahead with those tests. i was really glad i had mine (sitz marker, defecogram and anal manometry). they are great diagnostic tools and they give you a good idea of what's going on in there and specifically what your problems are.

good luck! keep us posted.

·
Community Manager
13,177 Posts
another update on zelnorm:

hopefully the pharma that has acquired zelnorm, alfasigma usa, will indeed make zelnorm available by prescription very soon--like the article says "in the coming weeks."

https://www.business...oduction-Market

·
Registered
140 Posts
I'm still not clear on why Zelnorm is female-only. I had taken it when it first came out, but actually quit because it caused D, a known side effect. Perhaps Alfasigma simply decided to include only women in its trials, and I can see that as they are more prone to CIC. In my case, if I wanted to try it again, my GI could request an insurance waiver for gender and age (I'm 69, but have an excellent health history with no heart issues-just a right hemicolectomy). My sense is that my doc would say "no." For the time being, I'm doing well with Motegrity - much better than with Linzess, Amitiza, and Trulance, which all worked for a while. Zelnorm does appear to have prokinetic properties, which may make it similar to Motegrity.

·
Community Manager
13,177 Posts
Reactions: Robert_Larsson

·
Registered
46 Posts
I can confirm what Annie posted, SYN-010 is still in Phase 2 clinical trials. I'm not sure if the drug is using the 505B1 or 505B2 development path. The latter which is applicable to already approved drugs which are reformulated (in this case lovastatin) usually takes less time to clear since safety and exposure data is already available at the FDA, so we could see a NDA sooner if the Phase 3 trial is shorter.

You can see how the Phase 2 study is progressing here: https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT03763175

Estimated Study Completion Date : January 1, 2020

·
Community Manager
13,177 Posts
as always, thanks for the info! appreciate it!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Thought I should add a potential new drug to the pipeline. This drug is not being evaluated for IBS specifically but is using a well studied mechanism in IBS (5HT-4 agonist) and is being investigated for Gastroparesis, Functional Dyspepsia and Chronic Constipation. This means the drug could potentially be used off-label to treat IBS-C patients in future.

Drug code: RQ-00000010

Company: RaQualia

Source: https://www.raqualia.com/product/

·
Community Manager
13,177 Posts
thanks again, Robert! as a 5HT-4 agonist, the drug sounds very promising.

61 - 80 of 120 Posts