Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm quite worried to say the least.the first week during my IBS attack i did manage to go. In fact my stool was quite normal.This week although the cramping and nausea have subsided, i'm chronically constipated.I took soluble fiber and miralax all week, and only a few hard pebbles have come out.Last night i took 2 dulcolax and nothing yet.There is some air coming out ...does that mean i don't have an occlusion?2 dulcolax normally do the trick (before i was diagnosed with IBS) is that a weak dose for IBS type constipation?I have not gone for about 5~6 days...a few hard balls/pebbles that's all...any ideas? thanks

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
As long as you are passing gas you are not completely obstructed. If you stop being able to fart you need medical attention.Sometimes it helps to do an enema to get the hard dry stool at the end moving. Anything you add to the first part of the colon can help push things along, but sometimes you need a bit of help from both ends.Passing some stool. Even hard constipated stool, is a good sign. It doesn't feel like much, but it means things are still moving.If it suddenly changes to watery diarrhea I would also see the doctor as you can be close to a complete obstruction and your body may try to dislodge it with the watery stool so a long period of constipation that goes straight to watery diarrhea can be a bad sign. Usually if you get things moving there will be some solids even if you do go far enough with laxatives to cause some diarrhea.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts