Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that oral dulcolax causes horrendous side effects. Do the dulcolax suppositories cause the same or are they gentler? And are they as effective? Mineral oil, saline and glycerin suppositories do nothing at all for me so I'm not real keen on trying something else that won't work. But since these have an actual medication in them maybe it will be more effective - at least I'm hoping so.

·
Community Manager
13,181 Posts
i never had any bad side effects from taking oral dulcolax but that's me. one thing to remember about dulcolax is not to take it within an hour of eating any dairy foods or you'll get cramping.

and yes, i've used the dulcolax suppositories. definitely more effective than the glycerin ones but i found they did burn a little bit.

good luck!

·
Community Manager
13,181 Posts
you're welcome.

hopefully you'll get some more replies. if not, you might want to do a board search. i think this topic has come up before.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I use everything. lol. I just started using the dulcolax suppositories because the pills just seemed to quit working majority if the time. The suppositories do burn a bit but I use a water Enema to stop the sting afterwards. I hasn't really worked too well for me but nothing does anymore. If you have IBS-C I'd say use anything that works for you. Don't over use though. Your body will become immune to things and stop working. I will switch it up so that doesn't happen.

·
Community Manager
13,181 Posts
none, as far as i know. i used them for years and years..

Reactions: Gooby

·
Registered
70 Posts
none, as far as i know. i used them for years and years..
That's good to know. I take a few with each meal to try to make the stool softer, moister, and easier to pass. What I have noticed over the years is that my stool dries out and then clumps together into one big mass making it difficult to pass. But if I take magnesium capsules and stool softeners with each meal it seems to stay moister and easier to pass. And then also to speed up transit time I take Miralax on an empty stomach to push everything out quicker so it does not get a chance to dry out too much and clump together.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts