Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
THIS CONDITION IS SO FICKLE EVERYTHING HAS BEEN FINE FOR ABOUT 2/3 WEEKS WITH NO COMPLICATIONS.THEN LAST NIGHT:WAKING UP ON/OFF THROUGHOUT THE NIGHT, UP AT 4AM - ATTEMPTED NAP AT 6AM- NO LUCK;THROBBING IN MY STOMACH;TODAY DULL, SICK WEAK FEELING, WITH SLIGHT STOMACH PAIN-WITH A COUPLE OF LIGHT SWEATS;NEITHER C OR D - SO FAR.I AM ABSOLUTELY CONVINCED THAT MY INTESTINES WERE SO DAMAGED FROM THE H-PYLORI AND SUBSEQUENT IBS, THAT IF THERE IS THE LEAST IMBALANCE IN MY SYSTEM, THE COMPLICATIONS RETURN. ALSO CONVINCED THAT THE ALOE VERA/ACIDOPHILUS WILL BE A LIFE LONG REQUIREMENT - UNLESS I CAN FIND SOMETHING BETTER.NEED TO WHINE TO SOMEONE.BILL

·
Registered
6,019 Posts
Hi Bill,It is always possible that you have a transitory bug in there, unless these are the same symptoms as before. You are probably quite right about the continual supplementation, although you may find that the amount may be reducible over time. I know when I get reminders, they are now minor and one-offs.Let us know when it passes.Mark

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
I take my supplements forever. If I go off any of them I go back to how I was before. And with Aloe it takes 3 months to start to work again so you need to stick with it. However despite being okay on my supps most of the time I still have really crummy times. Sorry you're going through one now. Hope you feel better soon.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
SYMPTOMS HAVE DISAPPEARED, LOADED UP ON ALOE VERA GEL/ACIDOPHILUS-AT LEAST 3 TIMES THE RECOMMENDED DOSAGE. SLEPT LIKE A BABY.DETERMINED WHAT MAY HAVE CAUSED THE PROBLEM;PECAN FUDGE CAKE - SATURDAY AT NOON. CANNOT BELIEVE IT TOOK SO LONG FOR THE CAKE TO WORK THROUGH MY SYSTEM.LESSON - BACK TO MY BLAND BORING DIET.BILL

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
SCREAMER DO YOU LOAD UP ON YOUR SUPPLEMENTS?I TOOK 3/4 TIMES THE RECOMMENDED AMOUNTS YESTERSAY - PROBLEMS ARE GONE.HOWEVER, NOW CONCERNED THAT THE BENEFTS MAY NO LONGER PREVAIL BECAUSE OF THE EXCESS DOSAGE.TODAY, AM AT 3 TIMES THE RECOMMENDED DAILY DOSAGE.BILL

·
Registered
133 Posts
Bill-Glad you are feeling better. Probiotics are like a miracle for me, too. I had the worst problems with urgency and gas, but within a day or two of taking acidophilus and yogurt last week, the problem is almost gone. I don't think that taking 3x the normal amount of probiotics will lessen the benefits (maybe so for aloe vera). My understanding is that Aloe Vera in small amounts is soothing and healing, but in larger amounts promotes a laxative effect. Of course, prolonged use of laxatives can make you dependent on them, so be careful. The acidophilus is probably perfectly safe for the long term. It just helps colonize the bowel with eubacteria (good). Supposedly, if you take too much acidophilus, it can cause diarrhea, however. If you are normal in that department, then I'm sure the acidophilus dose you are taking is safe and tolerable for you. I think I'm going to take acidophilus on a regular basis now, or at least yogurt with active cultures. It seems like good preventative medicine for those of us who find benefit from it.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Happy:Will return to normal dosage tomorrow, hopefully there will be no negatives.As previously noted, any deviation from the bland/restrictive my system goes into a tailspin.Bill

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Bill, I don't double or triple my dosage. I generally take the maximum amount of all my supplements but don't take extra (i've never thought to to be perfectly honest). I have taken a few too many acidopholous pills in the past by accident and spent a bit of time sitting on the loo (more so than usual) but otherwise, no I haven't tried it. Just be careful as natural things can be just a potent as pharmaceuticals can. Glad you're feeling a bit better though.Diet wise, when you're on a bland diet, it's important to reintroduce foods slowly. So if you're on a bland diet then blow out and eat pecan pie it's likely to cause big problems. Try just adding in some other plain foods (like plain vanilla cake or a muffin with apple and cinnamon) and work your way up from there. I'm not on a bland diet and I suspect pecan pie would near kill me

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.