Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have had IBS, C type, for over 20 years and have had a multitude of workups. The last colonoscopy was last May. All checked out OK. My new GP is a osteopath. At her advise I got a "dysbiosis test",from a lab called Metametrix, done from urine. The results on bacterial/protozoal, particularly the hydroxyphenylacetate was very high. She wants to treat me with Flagyl. I am afraid of the drug since it has terrible side effects. Is this the only drug available for this problem? Also, I'd like to know if this test is a real, ligitimate test, since it is not done at regular doctors offices and hospitals??? Can't a stool exam test for the same things? I really need your help on this since I am very gassy all the time and get constipation. Please help.

G

·
I am unclear of how you know what is going on in the colon by testing the urine. The company you mentioned is listed on quackwatch.com as a company that does non-standard testing. But that doesn't help figure out the value of this particular test.Do you have symptoms like excessive amounts of farting (significantly more than 25 per day) or just routine IBS-C type symptoms?Usually the things they treat with antibiotics tend to be more on the cause diarrhea side than cause constipation side, so I would at least ask a bunch more questions before taking the drug for this.I am unclear of how much training osteopaths get on digestive tract diseases (esp functional GI problems). At least ask how many people she has treated with these symptoms and these test results in this way and how likely does she think based on her clinical experience that it will work. (Note...if she says it helps everyone I would take that as a sign that maybe it is time to shop for a new doctor as no treatment is 100% helpful to everyone with something every single time)K.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.