Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried peppermint tea ages ago - it tastes DISGUSTING and I had a bad reaction to colpermin aswell - it made me feel like I was going to faint.One day I tried earl grey tea, not for the purpose of helping my IBS - just because my boyfrind drinks it and I grew to like it too.I noticed that if I had a noisy, gurgly and crampy tummy (like I get when I know a D attack is on the way)when I drank the tea, the symptoms would lessen for at least an hour. It did not slow down or stop the D but helped the other symtoms of it.Anyone else tried this? I think its a bit weird because I know the caffeine in tea and coffee is a strong bowel stimulant which is why I don't normally drink it.Earl Grey does have bergamot in it - is this known for its soothing properties at all?It has only a mild effect so might not work for everyone or indeed even for me all of the time - it just gives me a nice 'settled' feeling in my tummy when I drink it.As I am sure you all know we are always looking for anything to make us feel a tiny bit better so I thought I would share this with you.------------------Take CareEmGood, better, best. Never let it rest. Till your good is better and your better best.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
EmI don't know about earl grey, but I always have a cup of tea in the morning - I don't know if it is the sensation of warm/hot water inside but it seems to help reduce any abdominal pain and sets me up for a bowel movement nicely.Now every morning my bowel decree's that I must have a tea before it settles down for the day
Kinda strange considering the vast majority of advice on tea and IBS is not to take it. Oh well, I guess my bowel never did follow rules too well.Clair

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
EmI don't know about earl grey, but I always have a cup of tea in the morning - I don't know if it is the sensation of warm/hot water inside but it seems to help reduce any abdominal pain and sets me up for a bowel movement nicely.Now every morning my bowel decree's that I must have a tea before it settles down for the day
Kinda strange considering the vast majority of advice on tea and IBS is not to take it. Oh well, I guess my bowel never did follow rules too well.Clair

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for your input guys.I think Twinings is the best make aswell - maybe they do a decaff version that would be even more inoffensive to our tricky tummies.I also like tea in the morning but normal tea irritates me - mind you in the morning as soon as I put ANYTHING in my tummy its like a call to arms.Wanderingstar I will look into bergamot a bit more closely, thanks for the tip.------------------Take CareEmGood, better, best. Never let it rest. Till your good is better and your better best.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for your input guys.I think Twinings is the best make aswell - maybe they do a decaff version that would be even more inoffensive to our tricky tummies.I also like tea in the morning but normal tea irritates me - mind you in the morning as soon as I put ANYTHING in my tummy its like a call to arms.Wanderingstar I will look into bergamot a bit more closely, thanks for the tip.------------------Take CareEmGood, better, best. Never let it rest. Till your good is better and your better best.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Another vote for the Earl. It rarely solves my severe c problem, but it does seem to help relax things. I take a hit of the Earl several times a day. One small step up from agony is better than nothing, right? JohnA.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Another vote for the Earl. It rarely solves my severe c problem, but it does seem to help relax things. I take a hit of the Earl several times a day. One small step up from agony is better than nothing, right? JohnA.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.