Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi all,do any of you have tips for lessening early morning anxiety? i have no trouble falling asleep or sleeping through the night but i often wake about 30 mins before my alarm. as soon as i wake up i feel my heart beating in my midsection, my tummy feels tight and soon my gut starts moving and gurgling. this morning it was so bad i felt my midsection quivering for about 15 mins. i wasn't cold or anything just super anxious.during the day i'm fairly relaxed, i never have panic attacks. i am just constantly waking up in a tense, frightful state and it's so frustrating!btw - i am two weeks into listening to mikes ibs tapes, so far no positive changes, in fact increased IBS-D and increased anxiety. but i am still very hopeful as i have a long ways to go still.thanks! miranda

·
Registered
709 Posts
miranda
i can relate: anxiety is a big problem for me...mornings are particularly hard...starting a new day is daunting.things i do to cope with this morning anxiety:1. stretches...say you wake up before your alarm again, use that time to stretch.2. warm shower3. allow myself lots of time in the morning to get ready (in all ways, mentally, emotionally, physically...) for work4. have a morning routine5. have a good sized breakfast6. maybe read a little7. give my cat hugs8. listen to the corny morning radio (even though it's really corny--i feel more connected to the outside world this way--preparing me to face it)9. step outside for a couple of minutes and just breathwell, i don't know if this was any help...but good luck regardless!

·
Registered
709 Posts
good! this 'anxiety-monster' is relentless...i find every little thing that helps make life more relaxing helps keep 'him' in check in the long run...if anyone's interested...i just got this book called "the little book of inner space: your guide to finding personal peace" by stafford whiteaker---it's small, but full of things we can do to find some calm in our hectic lives...sample:"learn to take time...the clock should not measure out your life...make time your servant, not your master...there is nothing so important in your life that it cannot wait a little longer...the world and its worries will still be there...be late at least once a week."

·
Registered
4 Posts
This is my first post and I am new to the group.IBS-D has ruled my life.This honestly is the most agonizing part of my day. I live in New York City and take the subway to work, if I have any feeling at all that I will not make my 30 minute commute without problems, I will try to wait until I feel safe. I will never eat breakfast until I am actually at the office and know that I have no appointments outside. After lunch, I usually have to go again. On the days I do not, I feel normal and usually know I will be ok for the rest of the day. I do find routines are best for me, but when an attack happens I feel depressed that I cannot control my body.I look forward to sharing more with you all in order to understand this more.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Are you watching what you eat? I find that I've cut out certain foods and my D has decreased a great deal and that helps reduce my anxiety. I'm doing the tapes and I think they are great! Its really helped my relax. But I also work at home and don't have to "be somewhere at a certain time" anymore so that REALLY helps to.Good Luck.

·
Registered
601 Posts
I have that anxiety in the morning too. For me a big help was leaving more time to get ready in the morning. You'd be surprised- knowing you have that extra ten minutes before having to step out the door helps a lot!

·
Registered
10 Posts
My D is anxiety induced too, but I've been very bad since Christmas. My doctor had to leave the area suddenly, and I think this caused my problem. I started taking Caltrate every day, [read about it on here] and it's done wonders for me, maybe getting used to a new doctor has a lot to do with how I feel, but I still think the Caltrate has helped. The mornings have always been the worst time for me, leaving the house early is a no no, most days. I suffered so much stress when my children lived at home, I felt responsible for them getting up and off to work everyday. If it rained I drove my son to the rail station. this was a nightmare for me, it wasn't far to go, but it felt like climbing Mount Everest to me. Thankfully I only have myself to deal with in the mornings, except when hubby & I are going away, then everything has to wait for me, and that can cause anxiety too. This site has been a Godsend to me, just knowing others have the same problems makes it easier to deal with.Lowenna

·
Registered
29 Posts
The dread in the pit of my stomach is there every morning. I have a job and though I am single, life should be OK at this time. But the anxiety is always there and my whole unhappy past is always with me. I love this site because I hear about others with the anxiety attacks, IBS, depression and know I am not alone. I wish there was an easy answer to this so we could all be well and happy and normal. It is like we are a separate species. I have withdrawn from life in many ways. I miss out on so much because I just can't participate out of fear and IBS symptoms that never leave me. I want to curl up in a ball and hide some days.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Dear Bonnie,You said " wish there was an easy answer to this so we could all be well and happy and normal."There is an easy answer--go to a psychiatrist, get on anti-anxiety meds and get on with your life. You can get your life back. Take care.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
great suggestions minimum! thanks for sharing. i am trying some deep breathing to calm my nerves before i get out of bed.i have never meditated...don't really know what that entails any resources?bonnie: i can relate, my life should be great too. my job is good, i have friends, etc... i just get stuck in these anxiety ruts and i just cry sometimes...i miss going to restaurants, eating out makes me sooo nervous. i even have a secret hiding spot for immodium in my wallet lol!

·
Registered
29 Posts
thank you miranda-van re: anxiety ruts (good description) I inherited a bad nervous system so it doesn't take much to turn me into a tense mess. I don't believe there is a simple cure all for this. I have friends on anti-anxiety meds who are still constantly fussing and worried and having trouble with life. I do have spells/times where I can't function too well so I just stay in and do nothing until it eases up a bit so I can carry on. It is best to get busy at something that I enjoy but the hard part is getting started so times it can't be done.Minimum has great a great morning helps, easing into the day in a more relaxed way is nice rather then a jump-start wake-up, get dressed and charge out the door to work.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Hello all,I'm sorry that I was rude and abrupt but I so much want you all to know that anxiety can be controlled, you don't have to live half a life. The right medication can make an enormous difference, and it can be tapered off as you learn the skills to change the way you deal with others and yourself so anxiety does not become the dominant force. I am frustrated that so many people have demonized Xanax to the point people would rather suffer and turn into hermits than take a medication that could truly improve their lives. It saved mine. I wish the best for all of you. Take care.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
hi california,don't get frustrated, i think as long as you provide your story and your suggestions you have done your part for the others on this BB. i think if there is one single lesson i have learned from reading this board it is "what's good for the gander may not be good for the goose".M

·
Registered
709 Posts
california: it's great that meds have helped YOU deal with anxiety...really...but don't assume that the rest of us haven't tried any because we are trying other alternatives to dealing with anxiety(i myself have tried many) and don't assume that meds are the answer for everyone...

·
Registered
897 Posts
Hi Min, I have been very surprised by the very small number of people who have tried Xanax, one of the few true anti-anxiety meds that acts quickly and in fact is known to quell anxiety in most people if taken at the necessary dosage. On BackFire's survey of what people had tried, I think only a couple mentioned Xanax. I know a lot of people have tried SSRIs, but that's a different group of meds. I only getstrident with people who say they've been miserable virtually forever, have always had anxiety etc. They can do 500 other things, but if the anxiety keeps triggering their brain, the D will not go away. Take care.

·
Registered
601 Posts
I just had a thought- what if you tell yourself when you wake up that you can take comfort in knowing you made it through yesterday, so today is going to be just like yesterday and be fine. If that makes any sense!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.