Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, My name is Patty and I am new here. I have been experiencing something and I would like to know if this is common with others. In the middle of the night sometimes I awake with painful cramps and I need to have a bowel movement. I become very dizzy and I end up lying on my bathroom floor feeling like I am going to pass out. I have to run cold water on my arms and throw it on my face. I am very scared about this as it lasts for about an hour or more. Until my bowel is emptied. The pain is unreal and sometimes I feel like I am going to die. Does anyone else have this??Is this normal??Patty

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi, I started to get panic attacks in the spring of 2003. This was then followed by IBS. I never had to do any tests or anything, the doctor just told me that I had IBS from all the symptoms I had. I was suppose to go for tests but I chickened out. I get these night ones every once in a while and I am wondering if it is because of something I ate. I have bowel movements every day and then two night ago I was up at around 2 and in soo much pain on the floor. I was scared and just not sure if it was the IBS or not. I wonder if this is common with panic attacks?I mean the IBS developing. Thnaks for replying to my message.Patty

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi, I started to get panic attacks in the spring of 2003. This was then followed by IBS. I never had to do any tests or anything, the doctor just told me that I had IBS from all the symptoms I had. I was suppose to go for tests but I chickened out. I get these night ones every once in a while and I am wondering if it is because of something I ate. I have bowel movements every day and then two night ago I was up at around 2 and in soo much pain on the floor. I was scared and just not sure if it was the IBS or not. I wonder if this is common with panic attacks?I mean the IBS developing. Thnaks for replying to my message.Patty

· Registered
892 Posts
Anxiety, including panic attacks, was what triggered my D. Once I got on Xanax they stopped almost immediately, as did the D. You might want to talk with a psychiatrist about the panic attacks...they can certainly make you feel like you're going to die. Take care.

· Registered
892 Posts
Anxiety, including panic attacks, was what triggered my D. Once I got on Xanax they stopped almost immediately, as did the D. You might want to talk with a psychiatrist about the panic attacks...they can certainly make you feel like you're going to die. Take care.

· Registered
23,788 Posts
It is crucial to go for the tests, it is also an alarm symptoms to be woken at night although it can happen.You said here " I never had to do any tests or anything, the doctor just told me that I had IBS from all the symptoms I had. I was suppose to go for tests."having the tests done is very important and will also give you a better peice of mind as to waht your problem is and how to treat it. Soemtimes there is very little testing, the first should be blood work and three stool samples.But it is very important to get them done.

· Registered
23,788 Posts
It is crucial to go for the tests, it is also an alarm symptoms to be woken at night although it can happen.You said here " I never had to do any tests or anything, the doctor just told me that I had IBS from all the symptoms I had. I was suppose to go for tests."having the tests done is very important and will also give you a better peice of mind as to waht your problem is and how to treat it. Soemtimes there is very little testing, the first should be blood work and three stool samples.But it is very important to get them done.

· Registered
457 Posts
The current Diagnostic Criteria for IBS lists "red flag" symptoms that are:
quote: ... NOT typical of IBS:
  • Pain that awakens/interfers with sleep[*]Diarrhea that awakens/interfers with sleep
  • Blood in your stool (visible or occult)
  • Weight loss
  • Fever
  • Abnormal physical examination
You should have your doc look into this. It may be OK but there may be something other than IBS causing the symptoms you describe.

· Registered
457 Posts
The current Diagnostic Criteria for IBS lists "red flag" symptoms that are:
quote: ... NOT typical of IBS:
  • Pain that awakens/interfers with sleep[*]Diarrhea that awakens/interfers with sleep
  • Blood in your stool (visible or occult)
  • Weight loss
  • Fever
  • Abnormal physical examination
You should have your doc look into this. It may be OK but there may be something other than IBS causing the symptoms you describe.

· Registered
892 Posts
Sorry, I have to disagree with those who say testing needs to come first. Since the poster said she suffers from panic attacks--which are known to bring on GI distress--why not try treating the anxiety first with one of the true anti-anxiety drugs first? If her problem is caused by anxiety, it will stop and the tests can be avoided. And pointing out the D that awakens/interferes with sleep is kind of a red herring. If this poster is like me, SHE HAS BEEN MISDIAGNOSED. Waking in the night with D is not uncommon with anxiety-induced D...I had it half a dozen times at least. So I say see a psychiatrist first, try to get those panic attacks under control, and then see what happens. I bet you'll get better...that's what worked for me. Take care.

· Registered
892 Posts
Sorry, I have to disagree with those who say testing needs to come first. Since the poster said she suffers from panic attacks--which are known to bring on GI distress--why not try treating the anxiety first with one of the true anti-anxiety drugs first? If her problem is caused by anxiety, it will stop and the tests can be avoided. And pointing out the D that awakens/interferes with sleep is kind of a red herring. If this poster is like me, SHE HAS BEEN MISDIAGNOSED. Waking in the night with D is not uncommon with anxiety-induced D...I had it half a dozen times at least. So I say see a psychiatrist first, try to get those panic attacks under control, and then see what happens. I bet you'll get better...that's what worked for me. Take care.

· Registered
156 Posts
HiI can sympathise with your pain, I have blacked out a few times and fallen off the toilet, its awful, cold water helps, I often put a wet cloth or towel round the back of my neck this seems to help, BUT most of all what helps is dont eat anything past 6.30pm at night, this gives time for the body to digest food naturally, also take an imodium before you go to bed, this has helped me enourmously, let me know how you get on.Take care, I feel with you, your not aloneSam

· Registered
156 Posts
HiI can sympathise with your pain, I have blacked out a few times and fallen off the toilet, its awful, cold water helps, I often put a wet cloth or towel round the back of my neck this seems to help, BUT most of all what helps is dont eat anything past 6.30pm at night, this gives time for the body to digest food naturally, also take an imodium before you go to bed, this has helped me enourmously, let me know how you get on.Take care, I feel with you, your not aloneSam

· Registered
1,188 Posts
IBs D had gotten me out of bed for the last 15 yrs or more for a lot of nights and i am still here. It may have to do with what and when you last ate like Sam posted, also try the Imodium before bed. It can be from a lot of anxiety also. I find that even having one bowel movement starts the anxiety ball rolling... If I go once will I have to another 10 times and ruin my day,,, the ugly monster comes to call and my day is shot. Will taking Xanax stop this once it starts?

· Registered
1,188 Posts
IBs D had gotten me out of bed for the last 15 yrs or more for a lot of nights and i am still here. It may have to do with what and when you last ate like Sam posted, also try the Imodium before bed. It can be from a lot of anxiety also. I find that even having one bowel movement starts the anxiety ball rolling... If I go once will I have to another 10 times and ruin my day,,, the ugly monster comes to call and my day is shot. Will taking Xanax stop this once it starts?

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi everyone! I did see a psychiatrist last summer and she wanted to put me on a pill but I wanted to wait a little to see if I could help me myself. I snapped out of it and I learned to deal with my panic attacks. I have not had any in quite a while. I am not afraid of them anymore. I know that I am not going to die. These ones that I have at nite are not often, maybe once a month. I am thinking that I had alot of pasta last week and maybe that built up inside even though I was going regularily. I know I should go for the tests I guess I was scared. Once he diagnosed me I felt better sort of. When I first had these spasms I thought I was just backed up or something like constipation. I did not think it was my IBS. I feel much better having been able to talk to others who have what I have. This really is the best therapy. I will make an appointment to see my doctor and see what he says. ThanksPatty

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hi everyone! I did see a psychiatrist last summer and she wanted to put me on a pill but I wanted to wait a little to see if I could help me myself. I snapped out of it and I learned to deal with my panic attacks. I have not had any in quite a while. I am not afraid of them anymore. I know that I am not going to die. These ones that I have at nite are not often, maybe once a month. I am thinking that I had alot of pasta last week and maybe that built up inside even though I was going regularily. I know I should go for the tests I guess I was scared. Once he diagnosed me I felt better sort of. When I first had these spasms I thought I was just backed up or something like constipation. I did not think it was my IBS. I feel much better having been able to talk to others who have what I have. This really is the best therapy. I will make an appointment to see my doctor and see what he says. ThanksPatty

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.