Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Peter J D'Adamo and Chaterine Whitney. "Eat Right For Your Blood Type."In this book are lists of foods to be avoided by persons according to their blood types. The intention is to avoid making blood cells insoluble by eating plants with the wrong proteins. (Those wrong proteins supposedly combine with their red blood cells, making the cells insoluble, supposedly a bad thing.)Please feel free to comment on the theory and reality behind these assumptions as well as on how healty you do or don't feel following the food recommendations in the book.Have you tried such a diet? What is your impression & opinion of the results?I hate to experiment on my own body first when others have already tried this stuff and might have pointers I wish to consider before I decide whether to try it.I am much more interested in YOUR experiences than in researcher's, doctor's and drug company statements about how and whether stuff works.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
I follow a modified form of that diet, 'cause my nutritionist believes in the theory. I believe the blood-type theory has some merit, but it's hard to know for sure, of course. It appears that lots and lots of research was put into the theory.As it turns out, for me, the basic diet works well. For example, since I'm an O, I am supposed to always have a fair amount of protein and fewer carbs (including low or no gluten). Many people on this BB have found that a "high"-protein, low-carb diet works for them. Examples of what I'm not supposed to eat much of at all are white and red potatoes (too starchy) and oranges (which would sometimes bother me in the past and which I had to cut out because of acid reflux anyway).Perhaps I'll write a bit more on this subject later, as I'd intended to do a lot earlier -- but I kept forgetting.
------------------Cultivate gratitude. Believe in possibilities.

G

·
I bought the book and really studied it. My type is B so for a while followed the diet. I came to the conclusion it made no difference as far as IBS was concerned. It probably has merit but it didn't help me.

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
Three for three.

G

·
I'm a type O and found that I had already naturally gravitated to almost all the O foods in the book. Basically, a meat-based, high protein, low carb diet. Beans and grains definitely make my IBS-C worse, and with a few exceptions they are not on the O list. One food that the author says some O's can tolerate and others can't is oats. A big bowl of oatmeal/oat bran mixed 50/50 is often the only thing that keeps my IBS-C in line. Most other fiber kills me. I don't know if the book has any scientific validity, and I see he is now peddling a line of vitamins and supplements. But, all the blood type diets seem well balanced, so I can't see any harm in trying and seeing if it helps.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
WEll, I just got the book. I see this guy thinks I thrive on soy beans. He could not be more wrong. They kill me. He is right that wheat is not too good--it is downright lethal and the soy is too_Oh well, it was an idea.Sure do appreciate your replies/comments. Thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts