Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I seem to find that everything i eat has an affect on me from toast to curries. This makes me really scared of eating and i start eating less food and sometimes just eat toast. I love cheese but am scared of eating it, love dairy but the same with that. I don't do fizzy drinks, don't do alchohol. Even water affects me.Is anybody else having the same probs? How do you manage with the eating sitch?Have you stopped eating specific foods? Is there anything else food wise that i should be eating instead? DO i keep eating all sorts of diff foods just so i can get used to them? Due to the eating sitch and not wanting to be on the toilet 24/7 i take codeine tabs and A/D which block me up so i can only go to the toilet in the morning and not in the day even if my IBS is playing up. IS this the best way to deal with this prob or should i be stop taking the meds?Please advise??Would appreciate any feedback.Thank you

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
I also like to make sure that I go in the morning and stop myself up for the rest of the day.Unfortunately it usually takes 2 or 3 BMs before I can eat imodium like smarties to stop me going all day.I used to take Codeine but I got used to them very easily as they can be habit forming in some cases.Do imodium/loperamide help you?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
HI, I have tried loperamide before and that hasn't helped at all. I have used immodium before too but nothing has helped with that also. I thought i hadn't used immodium but after checking with the docs i have found out that i have. Do you have BM in the day or does the meds immodium help so you don't need to?Can you eat properly in the day or do you need to go to the toilet after you eat?Please advise??Thank you for replying back to me

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
I don't usually leave the house before midday as I need my 2 or 3 BMs before I take my 8-12 loperamide/imodium tablets and then I don't usually go again until the following morning.I still get bloating,gas,sensitivity,cramps etc but mainly I don't go again.I don't travel much but if I have to I tend not to eat and take extra loperamide/imodium to back me up.BTW,loperamide and imodium are basically the same drug.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi, Thanks for answering my questions. I take it if they havn't worked for me before then they won't work now. I might just have to stick to the codeine and A/Ds to keep me going. Are you on any A/Ds at all??Thank you

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
A/D??Do you mean antidepressants? Those are a common IBS treatment. If not what do you mean by A/D?Generally for post eating problems try taking the antidiarrheal (codeine or Imodium, or a antispasmodic) 20-30 minutes BEFORE you eat the meal.Every single meal in every single human causes and increase in colon activity and if you over respond with too much activity you want the drug in place to block it, not try to stop it up after the worst is over. Small frequent meals are better for people who over-respond to the "I ate get the colon" moving signal. The longer you wait to eat and the bigger/fattier the meal is the bigger the gastrocolic reflex is. Some people do much better if they graze (100-300 calories every couple of hours) than if they starve themselves for hours on end (or wait until dinner to eat anything) and then eat.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
HI Kathleen, Yes, i mean Anti depressents. So you are saying take the codeine before you eat. That makes sense. I am scared that if i graze every few hours then i will need to take more codeine which will block me up even more so it's a No win sitch.Everytime i eat something my ibs starts playing up and thats if i eat my proper meals or in between meals. So what do you think is the best option for me?Eat more meds everytime i eat??Thank you

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Well if you do OK with three meals and aren't skipping any try taking a dose of the meds before meals.Some people really can avoid meds if they eat 4-6 small meals rather than 2-3 large ones. Some people are too senstive.The tendency from after meal diarrhea is people start avoiding meals, sometimes for a couple of days then when they get even worse diarrhea when they finally do eat they then avoid eating for even longer. That only makes things worse.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
I tried Amitryptiline but they caused looser BMs and Imaprimine? (Spelling) and that made me feel like a zombie so Antidepressants haven't helped.At times my bowels are a bit sluggish in the morning so I don't want to take drugs before a breakfast meal as my daily habit has always been to go in the morning every day.If I took tablets before my breakfast it would just postpone me needing to go until a more inconvenient time when I wouldn't be able to get to a toilet.I just wish I could go back to my one large BM soon after I get up and then not have to worry about things until the following day like when I was normal rather than never feeling evacuated even after a large first BM.Oh for happier times!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hello,I don't have medical insurance and am allergic to codiene, and prescription A/D's as well. I take GABA for anxiety and 5-htp for depression. I just found this site today and am finding lots of very valuable information. I started immodium today just because I can't leave the house. I was able to be gone for 2 hours and didn't have my "accident" until I got to the bathroom door. Another pair of undies down but at least it was at home.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.