Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone out there like me?I have bulimia nervosa which had been fading away as a problem until recently (Zelmac had been helping with digestion etc but then stopped)My problem is that,when I feel very bloated - which is more or less all the time these days,even if I do have BMs - I tend to find I don't have a proper appetite.Consequently I tend to overeat on sugary foods and carbs. and end up feeling worse.Also,if very tired,I crave sweets.Within this vicious circle,it's hard to establish a normal eating pattern.With the constant bloating,I feel so miserable and eat as an escape/comfort.The hot weather we're having just now makes it all much worse.With Zelmac,I at least used to wake up sometimes with a normal abdomen.That gave me something to work at - keeping the sense of well-being.Anybody else out there like me?Got any tips?(And please don't say "eat X,Y,Z,avoid wheat,dairy etc etc." as this kind of thinking only causes more trouble, as I get anxious about what I eat,having food I don't really want ,and then eating sweet stuff because I still crave it.I feel very alone with this problem - even people with eating disorders seem not to have all the digestive troubles I do.Messages of support/ideas for help would be very much appreciated.I'm currently having biofeedback which initially helped with BMs - until I posted my success on the site ! Since then,things have slowed down.On top of that,my current eating behaviour isn't going to help matters.Please help if you can.

·
Banned
8,831 Posts
Combat sugar cravings with sugar. I find having a glass of wine a day really kills my sugar cravings. People who drink a glass of wine every day are 42% less likely to develop diabetes where people crave sugar. That is because alcohol raises insulin sensitivity and lowers the amount of insulin the pancreas has to produce to control blood sugar.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks,but for me it's the absolute opposite!Give me a glass of wine and my appetite shoots up - especially for filling carbs. and sugary foods.I suppose every body is every different.Appreciate you posting - thanks .

·
Registered
3 Posts
no your not alone. I suffered from an eating disorder and ibs. Still ibs but my fear of food is gone. I know exactly what you mean by feeling bloated and wanting to eat more. I doesn't make sense. I hate feeling fat so I feel like eating more with a bloated stomach is going to make it worse, yet I still do it.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
Altho I do not have the bloated feeling you have, I can relate to the bulimia and food cravings you mentioned. Right now my bulimia has been threatening to come back again and I'm having an awful time not succumbing again.PM or e-mail if you like b/c this is one thing I am not too comfortable discussing on the BB.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Although I can not relate to bulima, I can, however, relate to the bloating...I am always bloated!! What I usually do to try to help the bloat is use my heating pad. Other than that, nothing has helped me
Take care and feel better

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Many,many thanks for replying.It helps in a small way to feel less isolated.ActresschParticularly appreciate your telling me that.I've decided,for now,to just try and eat when I'm hungry - even if I end up eating less veg,protein etc.Till now,I've been forcing myself to eat healthy food at mealtimes,even if I don't feel like eat ......and then turning to the chocs. etc later on.(I am slightly under weight so weight isn't an issue - except that I ought to have a bit more in order to feel stronger and healthier!It's hard to eat well when you feel bloated and heavy before you even start to eat)AuroraheartThanks.Will do.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I know that when I eat less over the course of the day, the next day I am much much better! I only eat 2 meals a day now and I am fine if I stick to this. The more I put in, the less I go and the less I put in, the more I go or I can't go! And, yes, I have been known to miss a day or two of eating because I feel simply too full of food - like it hasn't gone down or digested - distressingly, like I am full from my throat to my ass! (scuse me). On these days, I would drink watery soup and fruit juice until I was 'clear'. Anyway, It depends on how active you are as a person as to how high your particular calory intake should be so it is wise to consult a doctor if you plan to go on a diet. Lots of us are simply eating too much for our needs, hence the rise in obesity in the western world. I was only a few pounds over weight, nothing like obese.Ideally, you should be eating 3 meals a day, breakfast, lunch and dinner but these meals should not be huge! They should also be balanced nutritionally and not swimming in grease!I have stopped snacking, or grazing as someone else so nicely put it and by sticking to regular meal times and eating quite lightly my symptoms went! My theory is that my digestive system, being quite sensitive, was constantly working because of my snacking! If it's only forced to work on one meal at a time, surely this would help to control the IBS. It took about a week or so because my stomach would rumble in protest and I felt really hungry and empty! The gas also increased for a time as if it was continuing to digest food that wasn't there! I felt like I had trained my stomach to constantly work! My theory anyway. To curb this, I used fennel seeds and over the counter indigestion remedies.I can now have the occasional blow out meal but I make sure they are only occasional. I can even have a few glasses of wine with this meal too now, which I couldn't touch before because it made the gas way too severe.Occasionally, I lapse. Oh do I suffer! So it isn't long before I get back on track again. I turn to peppermint oil capsules to relax the bowels (stops the spasm and releases the gas) and lots of coffee to get me going in the morning! I will resort to a hemmeroid supposity in the anal passage to help smooth the way too. But by sticking to my diet, I don't have any of the symptoms of IBS-C breakthru D! But I have to stick to it and avoid snacking or grazing like the plague!My typical day is:-Meal 1 : Poached egg on toastMeal 2 : Steamed cod, few potatoes, mixed vegetables or salad.If this isn't enough for your particular needs, you could have a breakfast and also add a piece of fruit to each meal or a yoghurt. I also drink watery soup if I feel hungry. If you want to snack, try a juice or water. Often we eat when in fact we are thirsty!My suggestion is to write down everything you eat. And I mean everything! Yes, even that little fishfinger you finished from the kid's dinner! And that little peice of choccy hiding in the fridge! And those 2 biscuits you had with your tea. You may be surprised at how much you are eating or simply how often! Keep recording everything on a daily basis for approx 1-2 weeks. Write down what you ate and the time you ate it.I mentally put all the items I had eaten over the course of the day onto a large platter and thought, goodness that's way too much for me!If you are unable to see the problem, take your diet diary and show your doctor/GP. He/she may be able to see the problem and suggest and alternative eating plan more suitable for your needs.I hope I haven't sounded too condescending. If I have, this wasn't my intention. I would simply like to share my story in the hope it may help someone else, but I would add that what works for one person may not work for someone else. I would also add that a sensible eating plan never hurt anyone and if you think yours could do with improving, then do so if you would like. Of course, there are those that will protest they are not over indulging when in fact they are and therefore, they may have other problems too that also need sorting. We are all different.Good luck everyone and my wishes and intentions are honourable. I don't want anyone to sink into eating disorders but it's just possible that you already have one anyway.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Hi Ibsed,I too suffer from an eating disorder and believe it is a primary cause in my ibs because it set up such a fear of food going into my body and my body not trusting if I was going to eat or keep the ffod down. I'm 21 and underweight (I weigh 78 1b which is about 35 kg). The ibs and anorexia are partners in crime - I know the ibs has by no means caused my eating disorder (it began 9 years ago long before I had the ibs), the symptoms began when I first when in to hospital to be put ona refeeding programme. More recently I have gotten into the binge/vomiting cycle which definitely exacerbates the problem.My advice to you is that your issues around your food, body and most crucially yourself (the binging/starving or whatever your pattern is merely a symptom not a cause) should be a priority. If you start to want to nurture yourself you might find it possible to want to nourish yourself (sorry for the cringe worthy tone!) To try and help with the bulimic part of this I wrote to myself after a horrific binge and vomit session how weak and faint I felt, how this would destroy me if I didn't fight it and that it was possible for me to let this go so my mind and body would be healthy again, the intention is to make myself read this every time I feel overtaken by it. I'm not sure if this will work but I think it's worth a try. Also you could try reading a book called Getting better bite by bite by Janet treasure, a lot of bulimics have found it helpful. I have to admit my main problem is the anorexia but I truly empathise with your feelings, you really aren't alone. One more thing: having to much unstructured time can be a very dangerous thing for someone with an eating disorder - far too much space to let it burrow in, keep yourself occupied (but not frantic) and try, if possible, to be with other people.I hope this helps and hasn't been patronising. Take care, Midwinter

·
Registered
242 Posts
My eating disorder was a control thing. I had no control in all the areas of my life and this was the one thing I could control and so I starved myself. I think perhaps I was in so much mental pain (emotional abuse) and needed help but because the cause of the pain and the wounds and scars were not visible, this was perhaps my way of showing people I was in need.When I finally got my life back on track, I started binge eating! Then I got the ibs!Anyway, you can break the cycle. You must take time out because you are ill and to get better, you need to look after yourself ok? You need to adhere to a strict, nutritionally balanced, healthy diet. Eating cakes and bread are not healthy options. Try to eat lots of fruit and veg (they are low in fat and calories, but are high in those essential vits!). Try not to eat so much carbs. I was really surprised by how much carbs I was eating over the course of the day. I didn't eat red meat so I cut down on the carbs, introduced some red meat weekly and started to have a lunch and dinner. They don't have to be heavy meals! Also try to eat some dark fish like mackrel, tuna, pilchards, salmon. It has been shown it helps with depression, even severe depression and helps to lower colesterol.Anyway, if you channel your energy into positive things, like a healthy diet, changing your eating habits and taking great care of yourself, yes, even pamper yourself, I am sure you will reap the benefits.Yoga is great too! It's calming and increases energy! My mood is really uplifted after a session.A sauna weekly helped me too. A lovely way to relax.Do some stuff for yourself. Look after yourself. Love yourself.I wish you well.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
count me in too; I am a grazier that keeps finding her way out to the cookie jar. I quit baking years ago but my hubby buys his oatmeal cookies, which are not my favorite, and yet I keep getting into them. I try not to keep anything in the house that would temp me. I sometimes have a dish with carrot and celery strips in the fridge, So when I open it that is the only thing readily available. That helps until the carrots and celery shrivle up, then I throws those out and go buy some fruits which also are gas causers for me but less so than the sugars and starchy things.

G

·
Hi,I also had an eating disorder 13 years back which is when everything started. Looking back I don't know if it was anorexia or bulimia-but I was eating a LOT of carbohydrates which caused me diarrhea. At the time I just knew that carbs were causing diarrhea so I continued to eat them big time knowing I'd lose weight. Somehow things started to evolve and as I lost weight my digestive systems started to act weirder and wierder. I started to feel and look bloated - even after having diarrhea. Now 13 years later I have stopped eating like that but have IBS. I have constant bloating and when I'm bloated I feel like eating. I think partly its because eating relaxes the digestive system temporarily and also gets things moving. sweets and carbs relax it too and stimulate it at the same time. but they are really bad and contribute to the bloating.Here is what I suggest and it works for me somewhat. really get off the carb wagon. it will just make you feel better. if you need a snack try nuts and cheese and fruit. i think abuse of carbs is linked to ibs and particularly the bloating type.if you would like, pls PM me. you are not alone. -Susan

·
Registered
149 Posts
I, too, began my IBS symptoms after an eating disorder. My husband left me after 17 years and the extreme stress caused me to completely lose my appetite. I lost 80 pounds in 4 or 5 months. For a year I barely ate at all (some days not eating anything). When I finally got my life back in order and began to eat, it was like my digestive system didn't know what to do. I've been suffering from food allergies and lactose intolerance that I never had before. I am now also sensitive to many chemicals and cannot use any type of fragrances. All of this started after the eating disorder.

·
Registered
106 Posts
This board is such a godsend! It's so nice to know that you're not the only one who suffers from these problems! I was diagnosed with anorexia at age 14 and ended up with horrible digestive problems because of it, mainly in my stomach (acid buildup, horrible pains, etc.). Now, though, 10 years later, the stomach pains are mainly gone and I have IBS-C predominant. The years of abuse I've wreaked on my system have resulted not only in the physical symptoms of IBS-C (extreme bloating, gas pain, nausea, little appetite), but also an incredible amount of anxiety about fooding going in and out of my body. When I do go, I get so nervous about losing control that my bowel starts spasming and I end up taking Immodium to stop it, which clogs me up again. I'm also a "disimpacter" (I remove my stools manually) because I have huge anxiety around feeling like there's something that needs to come out and I want it to come out when I "tell" it, too, so that I keep in control over my bodily functions. I want to eat "normally" and put on some weight, but my body won't seem to allow it. I hate hearing people lecture about proper diet and nutrition because, even though I know it's helpful for those without eating disorders, for those of who have them or had them, diet is probably the hardest part for us. I'd love to eat 3 balanced, healthy meals a day, but my body won't let me because I have such a small appetite and such slow digestion. So, I end up eating what I can tolerate, which, sometimes isn't the healthiest choice (like chocolate, which is one of the only foods that I love and that doesn't bother my stomach). Those of us who can't change our diets or who have a lot of anxiety associated with food itself need a different route for our IBS. I'm going to try some cognitive-behavioural therapy books/cds because I know that anxiety is my major problem and I need to fix it if I'm going to ever have a life! I'm so glad that I found this board, though, because it's comforting just to know that you're not a freak and that other people suffer from the same "weird" problems and are willing to be supportive and help!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have anorexia...semi recovered a year back and going down again.
Hard not to when ibs makes m bloat so badly (in my mind that's 'fat' even though some days, when I am not going through a bad time with ibs, I do feel QUITE thin and then WHAM...something sets my body off and within minutes I swell like the michelin man).It's also hard to know if I have edema sometimes...cause my wrists swell...and edema is associated with electrolyte imbalances caused by purging of laxatives and bulimic behaviors. sigh.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I know how you feel - it becoems a vicious cycle-I think IBS has given me a mild eating disorder because I am so afraid of the consequences of what I eat- although even not eating regular emals can make IBS worse- the only time i enjoy food is when im alone- i hate eating in public- also the attempt to stick to a no carb or no starch diet which is recommended by people on this board i find is ometimes enough to giv eyouan eating disorder as it makes you hungry all the time and is almost impossible to stick to- i wish they would invent medicine which means we would not have to eat at all life would be bliss with no digestion problems to worry about!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.