Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody out there suffer with an eating disorder aswell as IBS, I find this makes the battle with food so much worse.It would be great to talk to someone who has the same problems....as Im finding food a very scary issue!!

·
Registered
368 Posts
I don't like to admit that I have an eating disorder but more like a social fear of eating out b/c restaurant food is the worst. I sometimes will skip a meal b/c I know if I eat I will get bad stomach cramps. I am thin to begin with, so of course I was losing weight and looking anorexic after doing this. I just learned to relax and with the help of Bentyl, an antispasmadic, I can tolerate most foods but I still stick with something bland when I go out to eat like chicken and nothing to creamy or saucy. Turkey is also good too. I am lactose intolereant so I try and stay away from dairy too. I guess its all trial and error but you have to eat! I know its easier said then done but you can't let your IBS take control over you!!!

·
Registered
368 Posts
I don't like to admit that I have an eating disorder but more like a social fear of eating out b/c restaurant food is the worst. I sometimes will skip a meal b/c I know if I eat I will get bad stomach cramps. I am thin to begin with, so of course I was losing weight and looking anorexic after doing this. I just learned to relax and with the help of Bentyl, an antispasmadic, I can tolerate most foods but I still stick with something bland when I go out to eat like chicken and nothing to creamy or saucy. Turkey is also good too. I am lactose intolereant so I try and stay away from dairy too. I guess its all trial and error but you have to eat! I know its easier said then done but you can't let your IBS take control over you!!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I suffered from an eating disorder in the past, and I feel that has alot to do with my current IBS situation. I did not have as many problems before I had the disorder. There are times I sense myself starting to relapse a little bit, not eating because I know it will make my stomach feel worse. So I know there are days where I don't eat enough which isn't good because I am also thin and don't need to lose weight. I am also very active and can tell if I lose 1 or 2 pounds by how it affects my running. Have you been recieving any help for your disorder- dietitian, doctor, counselor? I feel you need all three to be able to overcome your disorder. Mine has not completely gone away, but I am definetely 98% better. Food is still scary to me at times even now, I am very careful with my diet for more reasons than just IBS. Surprisingly I have gone on to become a dietitian, so I understand the food aspect, but still not all of the psychological aspects. I wish you luck and just know there are others who sympathize and have gone through the same thing!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I suffered from an eating disorder in the past, and I feel that has alot to do with my current IBS situation. I did not have as many problems before I had the disorder. There are times I sense myself starting to relapse a little bit, not eating because I know it will make my stomach feel worse. So I know there are days where I don't eat enough which isn't good because I am also thin and don't need to lose weight. I am also very active and can tell if I lose 1 or 2 pounds by how it affects my running. Have you been recieving any help for your disorder- dietitian, doctor, counselor? I feel you need all three to be able to overcome your disorder. Mine has not completely gone away, but I am definetely 98% better. Food is still scary to me at times even now, I am very careful with my diet for more reasons than just IBS. Surprisingly I have gone on to become a dietitian, so I understand the food aspect, but still not all of the psychological aspects. I wish you luck and just know there are others who sympathize and have gone through the same thing!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for replying stacey.I have been to councelling years ago and I left when I thought I didn't need it anymore. I am about 75% better, its the mental side all the thoughts that go on about eating that I all have a problem with and then the added worry with IBS I never know where I am with food and some times I like it and sometimes I feel that I never want to eat again.My mind is contantly on what Ive eaten,what Im going to eat,what can I eat!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for replying stacey.I have been to councelling years ago and I left when I thought I didn't need it anymore. I am about 75% better, its the mental side all the thoughts that go on about eating that I all have a problem with and then the added worry with IBS I never know where I am with food and some times I like it and sometimes I feel that I never want to eat again.My mind is contantly on what Ive eaten,what Im going to eat,what can I eat!

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
I used to have an eating disorder which caused me to fail to gain any weight when I was growing. It's too late now; I cannot gain it back on a "normal" diet, and my IBS (mainly abdominal bloating and gas movement) is keeping me from any weight-gain diets. Although I'm eating what I feel is a relatively normal diet, NO doctor will help me and they all INSTANTLY label me as "anorexic" only because of my weight. They will not address my IBS or they say I have gas and bloating from not eating enough! They don't listen to me much at all. It is for this reason, I can never see a doctor or get prescription medication or seek help for IBS. I've even had to give up hope for Zelnorm since I won't be able to get a doctor to give me a prescription. I'm on my own for the most part with the IBS.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
I used to have an eating disorder which caused me to fail to gain any weight when I was growing. It's too late now; I cannot gain it back on a "normal" diet, and my IBS (mainly abdominal bloating and gas movement) is keeping me from any weight-gain diets. Although I'm eating what I feel is a relatively normal diet, NO doctor will help me and they all INSTANTLY label me as "anorexic" only because of my weight. They will not address my IBS or they say I have gas and bloating from not eating enough! They don't listen to me much at all. It is for this reason, I can never see a doctor or get prescription medication or seek help for IBS. I've even had to give up hope for Zelnorm since I won't be able to get a doctor to give me a prescription. I'm on my own for the most part with the IBS.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I can sympathize with what you are going through... I've been in recovery from anorexia and bulimia for a few years and my IBS started pretty much around the same time I started to recover... for me, and I realize it might be different for you, but it's something you might want to think about- I think that the IBS was partly a product of my body not being used to handle normal food intake, and also partly caused psychologically of my continued fear and thoughts about eating, even though I was eating at the time. You said that it's the mental stuff that really gets you now, and I think it's important to tackle that stuff in order to really recover from an eating disorder. One thing that helped me a lot was antidepressants, and also just challenging my food habits, etc. But I can tell you that when I stopped being afraid of food and getting anxious after I'd eaten, etc. my IBS became about 99% better. I know how hard it is though to get the thoughts out of your head, but it's worth it.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I can sympathize with what you are going through... I've been in recovery from anorexia and bulimia for a few years and my IBS started pretty much around the same time I started to recover... for me, and I realize it might be different for you, but it's something you might want to think about- I think that the IBS was partly a product of my body not being used to handle normal food intake, and also partly caused psychologically of my continued fear and thoughts about eating, even though I was eating at the time. You said that it's the mental stuff that really gets you now, and I think it's important to tackle that stuff in order to really recover from an eating disorder. One thing that helped me a lot was antidepressants, and also just challenging my food habits, etc. But I can tell you that when I stopped being afraid of food and getting anxious after I'd eaten, etc. my IBS became about 99% better. I know how hard it is though to get the thoughts out of your head, but it's worth it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hello, I have suffered from anorxia in the past also. I suffered with it for about 4 years and when my husband was trying to help me eat normally, I started suffering from symptoms of IBS. I think I've had IBS for about 5 years now and I'm trying to overcome this problem too. I too, am suffering with anorxia mentally too. Right now, because of IBS, if I go out any where, I won't eat a thing all day until I get home, which to me, is about the same thing I did with anorxia. Well, except now, I want to eat as normally as I can, it's just that my body doesn't seem to want too. My doctor seems to think I had problems with my first pregnancy because of both my problems. So, I think I may know where your coming from, and it's nice to know there are others out there to talk with about it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hello, I have suffered from anorxia in the past also. I suffered with it for about 4 years and when my husband was trying to help me eat normally, I started suffering from symptoms of IBS. I think I've had IBS for about 5 years now and I'm trying to overcome this problem too. I too, am suffering with anorxia mentally too. Right now, because of IBS, if I go out any where, I won't eat a thing all day until I get home, which to me, is about the same thing I did with anorxia. Well, except now, I want to eat as normally as I can, it's just that my body doesn't seem to want too. My doctor seems to think I had problems with my first pregnancy because of both my problems. So, I think I may know where your coming from, and it's nice to know there are others out there to talk with about it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.