Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
How do you suggest handling what I can eat at a restaurant,not a fast food place? I am hoping they have a good variety of what I can eat. Do you check out the restaurant before youactually go there to have a meal? This is a buffet styled restaurant.Thank you for any suggestion....diannamlp

·
Registered
391 Posts
Well you're laughing as it's a buffet style restaurant, you can choose exactly what and how much you want. Don't touch the salads, no fancy sauces, if you eat meat I'd stick to chicken. Potatoes should be fine, also maybe pasta. Cheese, but not Brie or Stilton type cheeses. Eat sparingly, don't stuff or you will be feeling uncomfortably full.This is just my view and what I would do.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Often you can check out menus online ahead of time, but buffet can be good or bad as you often can't make special requests (like bring the sauce on the side).Stick to thing you usually do well with at home. Stick to grilled baked or broiled fish and chicken. Avoid breaded meats or ones with a sauce. If you do beef OK and they have a grill steaks to order you might be able to do a leaner steak like sirloin if you get a small portion.Plain rice (not fried rice) if they have it, or plain pasta or baked potatoes where you can decide what to add to them may be good for a starch. If you tolerate bread OK look for something like a french bread that doesn't have a lot of fat rather than a dinner roll. Also usually they will have a few different steamed/boiled veggies, again get the ones without sauce.Keep the portions of everything small (which can be hard to do at a buffet) as eating a larger volume than usual can be enough to set off symptoms even if the foods are safe for you.Sometimes you can also order off the menu, so you may do that and you can make requests like don't add extra fat, serve sauces on the side, substitute steamed veggies for a fried side, etc.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi there. Great question! I used to be afriad of going out to eat because I feared that I would suffer an IBS flareup right afterwards. But...I have learned a few tricks to help1) Check out the menu online before hand if you can. This allows you to plan what you are going to eat in a calm, no-rush, not-starving manner. 2 ) Always start your meal with soluble fiber (bread, pasta or rice). This should be readily available at any restaurant.3) DO NOT OVEREAT! I recommend that you order some tea to start (peppermint would be ideal, but any tea would work). The act of slowly sipping on your tea will likely slow down your eating and help you not to overeat.4) And finally, do NOT be afraid to ask the wait staff about ingredients in food, etc. You are paying for it, so you have a right to know what's in it!I have a blog, www.eatandbe.com that I update daily and because I love to go out to eat, a lot of my posts cover the topic that you are curious about. YOu may find it helpful. good luck!

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
Hey Dianna.. BTW.. Happy Birthday!!!!

·
Registered
473 Posts
BQ, I celebrate two birthdays - my normal birthday and my re-birth day (the day I began recovery).Hopefully we can all get there, one day.In the meantime, happy birthday Dianna.Jackmat

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.