Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had problems with IBS on and off the last five years (while in college). Now, I'm living a much more stress-free life and am doing much better. However, I have noticed that I get extrememly ill if I eat a meal right after waking from a nap. It doesn't matter what I eat, I always get sick. I get cramps that feel like an entire muscle is being wrung out and they make an audible groaning sound when they release. Then I spend a good twenty minutes in the bathroom. Afterwards, I feel fine, if not a little weak. This does not happen if I eat right after I wake up in the morning. I can immediately eat breakfast without getting sick. This only happens when I eat right after napping. I rarely take naps, so this doesn't happen very often. Just enough to make me wonder. Does anyone else experience this? Is it something more than IBS? Thanks for listening.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Hi! I don't know about eating but I know that whenever I have a nap (which like you is pretty infrequently) I wake up with a sore gurgly belly that lasts for a few hours after waking. Mostly if I have a nap it's in the afternoon so I don't eat right away but I doubt I could if I wanted to. Then again, I can't stomach breakfast either which you can. I'd say it probably is just the IBS.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Hi AliasI cant eat anything after a nap.well, when i wake up, my ibs hits me, then in the afternoon, im better. but if i take a nap that afternoon, my ibs hits me again. i dont know whats wrong with me.

·
Banned
415 Posts
I am just wondering: if the colon wakes up when, or shortly after we do, then maybe you're just pushing your digestive system too much having it wake up and then demanding it begin digesting new food straight away.Breakfast may be ok as you have gone all night without eating ( i can't stomach breakfast tho) so you could be empty, but i'd say you probably are not empty after just a nap and maybe you are asking too much of your body too soon.This is just a thought, makes sence to me tho.Lisa

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That does make sense. It reminds me of something a nurse told my friend when she was in recovery after surgery.. she told her she couldn't eat anything until her stomach "woke up." So, until my friend could actually hear her stomach growling in hunger, she wasn't allowed to eat anything. I wonder if my situation is similiar. Thanks for your comment.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi Everyone....Even before my IBS diagnosis last week I found that plain dry toast after I awoke helped me ALOT! I am also on seizure medications and as the body absorbs the medication throuhgout the day the dry toast also helps in some way as the stomach kicks into gear as I wake up. My neurologist suggested the toast...

·
Registered
10 Posts
I feel so sick if I go back to bed after a BM, now is that something anyone has heard of ? My intestines get all in a cramp. Once I am up, if I use the loo, I have to stay up. I typically have a couple saltines or a piece of toast in the AM myself. Slow to wake up the digetive system.Just a question.......what blood type are most of you ? Type A's have very sensitive digestive systems anyhow and shouldn't have a start the day off with a heavy meal at all.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.