Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you think that eating too fast can cause IBS-like symptoms? What about sucking in your gut. I am not over weight by any means, but I am a fairly slender guy so any bulge in my stomach looks bad to me in the mirror so I have just grown accustomed to always sucking in my gut. So my abdominals are tight all day. But its not intentional. I just realize sometimes that I am holding in my "gut".Whatever, this is all new to me. I haven't been diagnosed with IBS. I am currently trying to change my diet/lifestyle to see if that improves anything. I went to a walk-in clinic last week and the doctor was completely useless. He wouldn't even listen to me. He just handed me some brochures and that was about it. Anyways.... thoughts?

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
quote:Do you think that eating too fast can cause IBS-like symptoms?
I don't think eating too fast could do that. The purpose of the stomach is to store food until the digestive system gets around to working with it. So no matter how fast you consume food, it will remain in the stomach and be released as the rest of the gut can handle it. It seems in fact, some prefer eating very fast:http://www.nathansfamous.com/nathans/news/...ontest_2004.phpYou might, however, precipitate symptoms by consuming a large volume of fat, say a whole tub of pure butter. That would cause the stomach to "lock up," so to speak, and could give you feelings of satiety, bloating and indigestion. But ordinarily the stomach can hold a gallon of water.Of course, this all applies to someone who is healthy and does not have any gut problems.As far as "sucking in the gut" is concerned, I don't think that could impact gut performance much. It may even help. Anything that independently moves the gut around especially after a meal would enhance absorption, although something involves consuming blood/oxygen could have the opposite effect, e.g, situps.That again applies to healthy people. For IBSers, I don't know. Many complain of visible distension and we're not sure what the mechanism is here. It might even be the case that sucking in the gut helps with that.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.