Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it normal to have problems with IBS after you eat too much? I had a very big Easter dinner tonight, and even though I wasn't really hungry, I had a second helping of dessert about 9pm. Now I've only just been to the loo about 20mins ago and I need to go again already and it feels like it will be very unpleasent. Is it normal for eating too much to upset IBS?

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Yes it is normal.Larger, heavy, or fatty meals stimulate a bigger gastrocolic reflex.After every meal there is an increase in activity because of this reflex. IBSers tend to have the most trouble when the colon is naturally most active. Big meals tend to set it off.The colon tends to be most active in the morning and then has a burst after every meal. It tends to be least active at night when you are sleeping. This is why IBS commonly tends to cause problems in the morning, or after meals and rarely causes problems during sleep.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I really sympathize with you after yesterday's holiday meal. Boy, I overdid it. My Mom's just too good a cook.So, needless to say, that's why I'm sitting here on the boards at 7am the next day, commiserating with other folks who obviously feel as bad as I do right now.Usually my IBS is a morning thing and typically calms down by noon, but last night after the meal it kicked in very quickly.... so I knew then I'd have a volatile morning.I've done many things the past few months that have been helping me gain some peace and management with this condition: more sleep, a regular eating routine, eliminating a couple of trigger foods, reducing sugar and having smaller meals.I'm still getting the attacks, but a little less often and with the extra sleep, they don't last as long and I'm not getting as distressed when they do happen.I thought I did well at dinner yesterday, only taking a small portion of each dish... but there were so many dishes and courses, by the time we got to the dessert...!!! ugh.I always ask myself, during an attack that I know is my own fault for overindulging, "was it worth it".Normally not. Yesterday... yes.Happy Easter.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Glad to know it's not just me!! What makes it worse is I actually have a pretty bad cold right now too and that always has a nasty effect on my bowels as well. It's been a little better so far today but I still have that nasty deep ache where you know it's going to kick in badly later in the day!It always makes us feel so ill, so WHY do we do it?! I think we're in denial over how bad it is and occasionally become incredibly stubborn, deciding that we never get to eat/drink what we want so DAMMIT, this time we will!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.