Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My biggest complaint with this whole IBS diagnosis has always been pain (always on the right side) and a tendency towards constipation. Recently I started taking calcium supplements with magnesium because I am also experimenting with my diet and have cut out dairy products. Now I've noticed that my "C" now switches back and forth with "D" symptoms. The pain is still there and I can't seem to track what triggers it. My next experiment will be with wheat products. Have any of you experienced this? Can it be the magnesium? I don't know what to think at this point!

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
I still have pain from time-to-time, but the most debilitating pain I'm now 99.999% rid of. It used to come in the late afternoon or early evening.What got rid of that? I believe the key change was getting completely off of products containing high fructose corn syrup.When you are under attack from the pain, one of those $10 electric heating pads is a BIG help! Also, see about a prescript for Bentyl. It doesn't do anything else for me, but it does seem to keep the cramping to a minimum.

·
Registered
613 Posts
I have heard that magnesium can act like a laxative so it might be your problem if it just started when you began taking it. As for the pain on the right side a lot of us experience this at times I know I do. I had been on a wheat free and gluten free diet for quite a long time with pretty good results although for now I have to eat it again because of a test I'm having next month. Good luck with the wheat products!sickofsick

·
Registered
781 Posts
Yes I have experienced the same thing. I cut out dairy after being predominantly C (and G)for years and have tried to eliminate as much wheat as possible. Now I'm mild C/D alternating with gas still. I take calcium citrate with magnesium too. I don't think the calcium/mag has affected me in any way except that if I forget to take it I get muscle cramps. I too have occasional pain on my right side of my abdomen. I really feel like a lot of my emotions and what I feel is channelled into my digestive system. Sounds silly? Do you have less pain on weekends or when you are less stressed?I have found great improvement with hypnotherapy..not just the tapes, but actually seeing a hypnotherapist. You're not alone, I hope you can find relief too!

·
Registered
6,922 Posts
Hi sickofpain:I was alternating between C & D for a while, but things seems to have stabilized out now. I'm doing Mike's tapes, which I believe have helped a great deal.Also, do experiment with the magnesium. It can cause some D if you are sensitive to it. How much are you taking per day? You might want to try a calcium supplement with less magnesium.Making sure you get plenty of fiber and water will also help. Mainly it's trial and error until you find what suits you best.JeanG------------------Member of "The Advance Guard for the Ozone Rangers".May the "farce" be with you. JeanG

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks to all of you for your responses and suggestions. While I previously just took straight calcium, the calcium with magnesium is something new that I thought I'd try. Have just halved the dose from the 1000 mg I was taking and it seems to have corrected that problem. However, my right-side pain is as bad as ever - doesn't really pay any attention to time of day or day of week - the only time I can be pretty sure that it won't bother me is at nighttime when I'm asleep. I need to try to eliminate wheat from my diet but, as I read labels, it seems like this is going to be incredibly difficult. Eliminating dairy products didn't really make much difference but I need to work on that more too. Again, thanks to all of you for your concern.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts