Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

At my most recent Dr appointment, my gp suggested I give Effexor a try (on top of the low dose of amytriptiline I'm already taking). My main and most troublesome ibs symptom is pain from gas. I don't have a lot of gas (probably pass gas only a 4-5 times a day max), but it doesn't move through my system well and causes lots of horrible cramping pain (mostly on my left side) until it is finally released (out the bottom end). This happens almost daily, and is worse when I have to sit or lie down for long periods.

I'm really looking for something that will help me manage the pain or help the gas move better through my system. I do suffer some constipation issues also, and take dulcolax and miralax pretty regularly in small doses as per my doctor's instructions. This is pretty necessary as not only is my system slow, but I have pelvic floor dysfunction, hemorrhoids, and was out of work for a year from a chronic anal fissure. So if the Effexor would help with constipation, that would be a bonus.

Any advice on Effexor for treating pain plus any ideas of the side effects would be really helpful.

Thanks

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, many times. I get what I can through diet but too much fibre, insoluble or suluble, gives me tremendous stomach pain.

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
Yes, many times. I get what I can through diet but too much fibre, insoluble or suluble, gives me tremendous stomach pain.
If I were you and that is the case I wouldn't take ANY extra fiber at all. For about 75% of us here? More fiber = more constipation.

I don't have intestinal pain but I do take aloe gel pills every day to help lesson the 'clumpy' feelings I get in my intestines. I get them here (click on below link):

https://www.amazon.com/NOW-Aloe-Vera-10000mg-Softgels/dp/B00772AQD0?th=1

2 pills twice a day, with meals.

Read this when you have the time, it's almost all my knowledge of chronic constipation I've gathered in the last 4 or 5 years (click on below link to read):

http://www.ibsgroup.org/forums/topic/325690-the-abcs-of-chronic-constipation-aka-ibs-c/

Good luck and keep us posted!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. I have tried a diet without fibre also and it didn't provide much improvement. I worked with a dietician on this for two years and the only thing that we found to help was to avoid high fibre diets and most fruits, along with dairy and gluten. But even when I do this, I still have pain from trapped gas.

I also take those exact aloe Vera capsules.

Again, my real problem is not the constipation - it's under control. Really, it's the severe pain from trapped gas. I'm looking more specifically for information on whether or not Effexor has helped anybody with this issue.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Some of the antidepressants can definitely help with pain. Also, maybe it would still be a good idea to try getting the gas out rather than just dealing with the pain. For example you could try chewing a lot of fennel seeds or drinking a lot of fennel tea. Fennel has volatile oils in it like anethole, fenchone and estragole which can have anti-spasmodic effects that relax contracted intestinal muscles and allow trapped gas to escape.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts