Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
third day and much muchb bgetter- but its intersting as this could be because smaller portions are providing the relief at the moment . because its dificult to eat just a lot fo protein on its own and we are all used to having chips, pasta rics as a filler and bulk- with that gone you are left with not mjuch- so the smaller portions may be something for ibs suffereres to think about doing - regardless of strict elimnation diets- it may help to cut the carbs a bit- if anything to enable you not to eat so muchits not that the less you eat thye less you go to the loo- theres more to it then that- it just seems the d is not so bad and then this reduces a whole lot of stress and you know if you going to the loo it wont be horrendousso my advice for any fellow sufferers out there is to keep low on the carbs if any and to keep portions really small- we are al, used to eating more than we ned anyway=-- most of us are over weight- (In general population terms) so this can only be a good thing in eating to survive not survive to eat.just thought id share this with you as i know sufferers are looking for any tips on a constant basis for relief and a way out- but this has helped us hugely- the worry is not half so bad either

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
You may want to try google as I think there are several SCD forums and email groups that may be more helpful in finding out specific information about this diet.We do have some users who do this diet (or use some parts of it) but if you want to talk to a lot of people who all follow this particular diet a more specific forum may be a good place for that, and many of those people may not be here because it isn't an IBS only diet. It is used for a lot of things.http://www.scdiet.org/5community/email.html has some sources for that.While we do have some people here who follow this diet, you might get more info on how to do it from a board that is used by others doing that same diet as there are almost as many different IBS diets as there are IBSers.Now most IBSers (and most people with most disease) do find smaller meals help. Portion size is completely out of control and just eating the amount of food our bodies actually work best with can go a long way to helping IBS. Often how we eat is more important than what we eat. A lot of IBSers can eat most anything they want as long as they eat 300-400 calories at a time and limit the fat (so not 400 calories of butter for a meal, but 10-25% of the 300 calories from fat) That may mean eating 4-5 meals rather than 3 large ones.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I am very much in tune with Kathleen on this subject. Small meals and cutting out the fat has helped me more than anything else I have tried over almost three decades of IBS D 'experience'. (Why has it taken me this long, I am asking myself!) I'm low or no salt also but I'm not sure that has anything much to do with IBS D but it does help maintain a steady blood pressure reading!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
whilst elaines diet is not used specifically for ibs but also for a variety of diseases it is still a valid diet for ibs-dok?therefore it goes in with discussion on ibsyou show a considerable amouint of prejudice against it and havent let me talk about it since ive metnioend the subject. it might not be your way of coping with things but it may be othersother people might not have heard about it and so by flagging it up it might be alerted to other forum members who have a right to know about it aswelli have joined a specific forum to talk about this diet but please give me the freedom to talk about my ibs issues and the things i use to treat it

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
It, like every diet, is hit and miss.Some people swear by it, some people find it doesn't help.Diet it not the end all or be all of IBS control and a lot of people do way more harm to themselves than good trying to find some diet that will work when they are someone that will never get better with diet. A lot of people claim all you need is their diet to cure you. Diet can help, can make people feel better, and no matter what anyone says you aren't a failure if diet alone doesn't fix you. (and I know a few people that do come off as if it doesn't work you did something wrong because that one diet must the the one and only cure for every person and something like IBS is just way too diverse for there to be one diet to rule us all.
)I'm not particularly against this diet. Just hate to see you eating food you say you can't stand for a year or more hoping something will happen eventually. If you can find enough foods you like within the confines of the diet so you get adequate nutrition, go for it. If every recipe has ingredients that you hate the taste of you won't be able to stick to it, or you will be so stressed out from eating it that you do more damage from the stress of every meal being a battle to choke down the food that your IBS will be worse from the stress.I'm sorry I want you to enjoy your food and have less stress around meals. I didn't know that was bad and evil. :)If you at least some results quickly it may be the diet to you, but some IBSers do better on a diet that is completely opposite of SCD so it really is individual. Since SCD is very hit and miss with IBSers you may not find a lot of people here who have a lot of experience to help you find something you actually like to eat and stay on the diet. I didn't know it was wrong to help you find people who I believe have the knowledge you are seeking. I thought you were wanting people to help you with the diet, not just promote it for IBS-D. I'm sorry if I misread your intentions.That being said SCD is one of the controlled carb/low carb diets that can work for IBS-D. Finding one you can stick to will help more than one you are always needing to cheat on because you don't like the recipes. People, in general, can't stick well to diets (especially for a year before deciding if it did any good or not) if they hate the food.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.