Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
My doctor prescribed Elavil for me about a year ago. I tried it for about a month and didn't see any positive results at all. As, the side effects made me very sleepy all the time, so I eventually discontinued it.

G

·
i tried elavil (amitriptyline) which is a tricyclic antideppresant with lot of side effects. I didnt work well, so i discontinued it and started paxil about 6 months ago. The paxil has really been a big help, it cut down my attacks by at least 50%.I am a pharmacy tech and did a little research on ibs and more and more they are sayin that paxil has a significant impact on people who have ibs.

G

·
I have been on Elavil for about 2 months. It has helped a lot with the abdominal pain but not with the diarrhea. I take Lomotil for the diarrhea. It takes about 3 to 4 weeks to start working. Give it a try.Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Hi CarmenSeveral years ago, I was on a moderate dose of Elavil for depression. I don't recall the mg but it was at the suggested dose for moderate depression. It worked well for depression, pain, sleep and totally controlled D. I was on it for a few years.I have been told that a low dose of Elavil can help some people with pain and D. People can react differently to the same medication and dose! Therefore it has to be tried to tell how it effects you.------------------vikee

·
Registered
116 Posts
I have been on Elavil at a relatively low dose - 50-75 mg./day. It has seemed to help with D, but certainly not a cure. And not a good as Lotronex has worked. One problem I have had with Elavil is that I go through withdrawal symptoms when I cut down or try to stop it - weakness, flu-like symptoms, D. So I try to limit my dose, especially when starting.

G

·
I take 20 mg of Elavil before bedtime. It is a low dose for controlling pain and D. My GI said to start low and if we need to we can always raise the dose. The only side effect I had was dry mouth but that has gone away. I am not spacey or sleepy with this low dose.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts