Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I'm on 5mg on elavil and it makes me too tired. I can't barley funcation so I'm gonna start taking it at night or tell the doctor that I can't take it anymore. Write Back Soon Leah

·
Registered
194 Posts
I take mine at bedtime. Don't feel tired too bad in the morning. I never was a morning person tho. Even before IBS.Don't give up on it too soon. I think it helps me. Along with Kyo-Dophilous.Take Care,Joyce

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
I'm surprised your DR told you to take it during the day. Most people get tired from it at first which is why its usually prescribed to take at bedtime.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've been on it a year and it isn't helping much. It used to make me real tired (and I was told to take it at night) but now it doesn't have as much of an effect on me.

·
Registered
19 Posts
For the record, as a 52 year old man, I took Elavil for a week and became 100% sexually dysfunctional (a first!) and had trouble urinating. When I told the doctor, he shrugged.

·
Registered
275 Posts
If it's the same as amitriptyline, it made me feel tired, sick and headachey at first, but the side effects disappeared quickly, and helped my IBS so much i was prepared to see out the unwanted tiredness etc.I'm taking 20 mg before bed every night - originally it was 10mg but that dose wasn't doing quite enough.For me, it's been the only drug that has had any significant positive effect on my IBS.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts