Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever tried and/or had any success with treating their IBS-D with an elemental diet? If so, could you share your tale? Like most of us, I've tried everything and would even be willing to try this if anyone has found even some relief from it after the 2-3 week course that seems to be the standard. Thx!

·
Registered
555 Posts
I tried it a couple times. The first time i went all out. Bought all the different supplements including the glucose powder, amino acids, oil, vitamin mixes, etc. My body didnt like that very much and I only lasted a few days. I think it was the oil that caused my diarrhea to be explosive and fiery.

I was muuuuuch more successful on the other version of the elemental diet which also happened to be much less work. I just drank boost shakes. I probably had 7-8 per day. They are milk based but only have milk protein and they say right on the bottle that they are suitable for people with lactose intolerance which includes myself. These slow down my stomach a lot. They were not a cure, but I still keep some around. They have a lot of calcium which helps make stools more solid. I drink a couple if I have one of those days.... you know, the kind where you cant stay off the toilet. They calm my stomach without causing rebound constipation and diarrhea.

That being said, as far as I know, the point of an elemental diet is to starve bacteria and give your digestive system a rest. Personally my experience has been that antibiotics do a wayyyy better job and killing bacteria than an elemental diet. So just consider what your goals of the diet are before you decide to go for the elemental diet.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts