Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone--I am 22 years old and have a problem with flatulence. Often it is loud and excessive (way more than the average 10-14 farts/day), and most of the time it has an odor to it. I hate it because I can never tell if I'm going to accidently pass gas, and worse yet, it usually happens when I'm in public!I also involuntarily pass gas during the night when I am sleeping, and I often wake up from it, which is embarrassing enough to admit, let alone share with another person (it happened to me all the time during college when I shared a room with my roommates...talk about humiliating).I have other IBS symptoms (such as bloating/abdominal distension, pain, and constipation), but this is by far the most obvious and embarrassing of them all. I found that exercise does help with the gas, so I am trying to be more active, but I still have bouts of flatulence that are becoming harder to predict and deal with.Does anyone have any suggestions? I would greatly appreciate any advice.

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
What happens if you don't eat for a couple of days?

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
quote: the symptoms don't ease up much if I fas
It suggests the gas is from the atmosphere. A standing flat plate x-ray could also confirm this by showing excess gas in the upper gut.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I'm sorry, I know how you feel. Have you eliminated all carbonated beverages? Can you tolerate milk, cheese, butter, all dairy or do you need to cut those out too. What about potato chips, they will give you gas in a hurry and doesn't take much to do so. If you want to cut down on the flatulence, then cut down on your carbohydrates. Try leaving out potatoes, especially french fries and fried onions. I know all of this is hard, I've been there but play like you are on a diet because you are on a diet so to speak. Eat cereal in the morning if you can as this gives you fiber and that helps. Try something light for lunch like tuna sandwich or boiled ham sandwich with just a little mayo. Maybe an apple or a few raisins for dessert. Watch very carefully what you eat and see if you can figure out the food or foods which give you gas, then eliminate them from your diet. Good luck! PS-TEll us what you eat during a typical day. Maybe we can help you. Annem

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
quote:is that a surefire way of telling what causes my flatulence problem?
Yes, it wil distinguish between bacterial production or air ingestion.

·
Banned
8,831 Posts
"The distinctive sound is dependent on the elasticity of the sphincter, the presence or absence of hemorrhoids, and the muscle tone of the surrounding flesh. ""Hemorrhoid removal and weight loss can reduce the telltale noise. " http://www.kudzumonthly.com/kudzu/dec02/BreakingWind.html An unrelated fact from the article"Though, based on relative body mass, men do not have more gas than women, they do release more frequently - twelve times per day [b[as opposed to seven[/b] - and are less reserved in the delivery. "

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
[quoote]can help to get all the gas out of your system in one shot until you eat again./quote]It could conceivably help with gas in the stomach, but not gas in the intestine.

·
Registered
70 Posts
This is the first time I have posted on this forum. I have no particular advice, but I can certainly relate to your problem. I have recently signed up for some classes. I am IBS-D, and gas is definitely not a good thing for me. Lets just say I never know if I am just going to be firing blanks, so with every gurgle I run to the ladie's room. Have you ever noticed that the acoustics in bathrooms are better than anywhere else in the house ... or public buildings for that matter. The ladie's room at the college where I take classes is right across from the lecture theatre. The toilet seems to act as a megaphone. I am sure I am making quite a name for myself. I have tried elimination diets, total fasting, no carbonated drinks, using pro-biotics ... you name it. I have even been tested for bacterial overgrowth. So far I haven't found a solution. I try to maintain my sense of humour about it all, and merrily go on tooting my own horn. I am sure I hold the world title for the longest, loudest and most frequent gas emissions. I can literally walk from one end of the house to the other and back with a "clap of thunder" accompanying each step. The title passed to me (sorry about the pun) when my parents died. They both had the same problem. The only serious contender for my title is my grand daughter. I have hemmies and my ab muscles are shot. She is 2 years old and has neither of these problems. It makes me wonder if genetics plays a part. Is there a flatulence gene? My main point in answering your question is to let you know you are not alone.Take careKristy (alias thunder down under)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I just wanted to say "thank you" to everyone who responded to my post about flatulence. Even though it is embarrassing to admit, I am glad I am not the only one out there with this problem. Someone before asked me what I ate on a daily basis. Well, I tried cutting back on my usual foods and realized that the following foods cause excessive gas and bloating: fried foods especially from fast-food restaurants (someone mentioned french fries or fried onion rings...yup, my favorite foods, but it gives me gas for the rest of the day), garlic, raw onion, soda, gum, cheese, and milk (before I used to drink about 3/4 gallon per week, but it gave me horrible gas...now I try to drink milk with just my cereal, and it is much better). Am I also lactose intolerant because of my body's reaction to the latter part of my list? Thank you all for your suggestions. I will try them, and hopefully they will yield results! I just want to be normal!

·
Registered
4 Posts
heh.. I'm so glad I never grew out of finding flatulence amusing. It does make it harder to hide though, when I start giggling and going red.. Maybe I'll try cutting out potato crisps (I'm a fan of the odd salty snack) - it sounds like that could be a culprit..

·
Registered
116 Posts
Hi treehugger,If you want to get rid of your gas problem, I would start by completely eliminating all the foods you listed, including the milk with the morning cereal. Switch to hot cereal, like oatmeal made with water. After a week or so, you can try adding soymilk or rice milk to the oatmeal. I just wouldn't add it right away because you might have a soy intolerance.Most people don't realize that they can have food intolerances, which is not the same as being allergic to your food (life threatening). Common intolerances/allergens: dairy, sugar, gluten (in wheat and some other grains), and soy.Laylo

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
quote:Most people don't realize that they can have food intolerances,
Food "intolerances", whatever they are, have nothing to do with gas.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.