Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In terms of dealing with embarassment, the worst part about my IBS was that not only was I in an enclosed area in a basement, but I am bilingual. I speak Spanish pretty well, and understand it quite well. Well, on my resume for this temp agency, I had put that I was bilingual, so they stuck me in this area where everyone only spoke Spanish, or they were learning English as a second language, or they were quite bilingual as well with English being their second language. For those of you who always wonder what your co-workers were saying about you behind your back or secretly thinking, I ACTUALLY heard everything that people were saying and thinking about me. Because they thought that my grasp of Spanish was not that great because I spoke english as my first language and Spanish as my second, they would constantly talk about my smell~! I remember one of the workers (who had horrible breath by the way)say in front of me and everyone in the room, (in Spanish) 'she doesnt' understand what we say about her, as we say it right in front of her.' I wanted to scream at him that I understood every word they were saying about me. It was terrible... so humiliating. At times I didn't even know what to say.. eventually I couldn't take it anymore and just quit because after months I had found no solution and I am afraid that I had made some people actually quit because of the smell. They were at first my friends, then after I started having bouts with IBS, I could barely stand to face them from day to day. And this boss, in addition to bosses I've had afterwords would change their sweet tune of an attitude towards me once they realized I had G problems. One of the worst things they would say about me was "Pajaro que Uele a flor a flor" which means 'the bird that SMELLS from flower to flower,' but they told me that what they were saying was "Pajaro que Vuele a flor a flor." A VERY slight variation from the first one that means 'the bird that FLIES from flower to flower.' It took me a while to figure that one out.Once, in the earlier stages, I didn't realize a fart was coming and I accidentaly let one loose while I was working next to this girl from Venezuela. When one of the guys came back from lunch that I had a crush on, he was all like (in Spanish) who did that? And she totally ratted me out. That sucked, but the worst was yet to come..and not necessarily at this workplace. Another time when I was actually having a pretty good day, the same guy with bad breath was talking about it in Spanish and was like, 'the monster is sleeping' or something to imply that my IBS was dormant. That made me nervous and frazzled as hell, and for the rest of the day because of the whole mind body connection thing, I kept on having farting spasms. I could tell embarrasing stores about my experiences for days.

·
Registered
11 Posts
One time I was taking a nap during lunch and I farted so loud (in a room full of people) that I woke myself up. I played dumb like I was sound asleep so I wouldn't have to deal with it but of course that meant I heard everybody's comments. Horrible! Fortunately I'm not working with those people anymore. Ever feel like you'd rather lose a foot or something than have this problem? At least that, people would have sympathy for. This problem only brings out the worst in people.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know. I was just saying something to someone about that..well, i was telling my mom. People don't have sympathy for this sort of thing. I always say that I wish that at least I could have something that could be removed..or something that would eventually and surely go away.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
WOW!! Can I relate to what you guys are saying. I could write a book on the embrassing moments I have had, and the night mares I would wake up with, about me being around other people. Many times the sudden slience when you walk into a room tells you they have been talking about you. I remembr once we went to a social event and I had to go to the restroom, which was full of women. Soon as I went in a stall everyone else left. I dreaded walking out of there. Most times I am just shunned, left to listen to the remarks. I have had this many years and have learned to act dumb like I could care less.raina, yes, loosing a limb would be better than this, but still there are many people in the world that would trade me their troubles for mine.Keep praying for some answers.Hugs Joyce

·
Registered
927 Posts
For the guy with bad breath who complained about odors:perhaps he was talking about his own upper-lip.What a JERK! Makes you really bitter when you see people like this. How immature. Glad to hear you left there.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.