Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to ask everyone do your bowels ever follow your emotional pattern? Im 19 and have emotional swings every once and a while. If I cry for an extened period of time it brings on a case of IBS-D (I suffer from IBS-C&D) for 5 or 6 days at a time. This is not the only time I get my flare ups of IBS-d, but it is an good example of when i do get it. If I get too sad or nervous it will always bring IBS-D in almost excatly two days following. Does anyone else notice this? Thanks....I have been on paxil and many things for depression. Right now I am not on anything for it, I feel great. Im not depressed as much is that I am 19 and home for the summer with my family, that causes emotions, I dont cry all the time, just once in a while, normal crying. Therpy has never helped either[This message has been edited by Blackcat (edited 09-03-2001).]

·
Registered
922 Posts
Blackcat, IBS sure is affected by the emotions in most of us. Anxiety has always been my trigger. You are young and possibly a female and I would advise you to see your MD for help. Maybe a referral to a P/doc or counselor would be beneficial. There are AD meds that help with depression(excessive crying??) and anxiety at the same time, and since you notice a link to your IBS/D the meds lowering the anxiety will probably ease the "D" to some extent. If you possibly do have some chemical imbalance causing crying, depression and anxiety it can get worse if not acknowledged and treated by a P/doc you like and trust. Please ask for help, it is out there waiting for you! Good luck, Norb

·
Registered
922 Posts
Blackcat, IBS sure is affected by the emotions in most of us. Anxiety has always been my trigger. You are young and possibly a female and I would advise you to see your MD for help. Maybe a referral to a P/doc or counselor would be beneficial. There are AD meds that help with depression(excessive crying??) and anxiety at the same time, and since you notice a link to your IBS/D the meds lowering the anxiety will probably ease the "D" to some extent. If you possibly do have some chemical imbalance causing crying, depression and anxiety it can get worse if not acknowledged and treated by a P/doc you like and trust. Please ask for help, it is out there waiting for you! Good luck, Norb

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
As I sit here after a rough couple of days at work, I can assure you that IBS is indeed influenced by our emotions. My IBS is flaring up again on me as I let the stress get to me.I agree with Norb that if you find you are too sensitive to things and cry lots, to go to the doctor. I was depressed for a long time and now I am on antidepressants. I found that really helped my IBS as my emotions stabalized.Good luck to you, Black Cat. ------------------"It is only possible to live happily ever after on a day-to- day basis." --Margaret Bonnano

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
As I sit here after a rough couple of days at work, I can assure you that IBS is indeed influenced by our emotions. My IBS is flaring up again on me as I let the stress get to me.I agree with Norb that if you find you are too sensitive to things and cry lots, to go to the doctor. I was depressed for a long time and now I am on antidepressants. I found that really helped my IBS as my emotions stabalized.Good luck to you, Black Cat. ------------------"It is only possible to live happily ever after on a day-to- day basis." --Margaret Bonnano

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.