Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well - i got the notice last friday - i've lost my job due to ibs... i don't really know what to do because i'm losing my insurance benefits as well. i had to go away for the weekend for my friend's bridal shower - so i kinda put all this on the back burner for the weekend, but now it's really hitting hard. anyway, i'm pretty depressed about all of this and of course the stress has caused the d to come back full force. i just want to cry...

·
Registered
897 Posts
Hi ebbie, I'm so sorry for what you are going through. Although your employer doesn't have to pay for it, you are eligible for COBRA insurance for at least one year, I think. Check it out and ask them how to sign up. Take care.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Ebbie I know exactly what you are going through. I lost my job as well. Remember the words my supervisor spoke ( the ####$####) *LOOK YOUR CONSTANT RUNNING TO THE BATHROOM IS NOT VERY PRODUCTIVE ALONE TODAY YOU HAVE GONE 10 TIMES I REGRET TO INFORM YOU BUT YOUR JOB HERE IS TERMINATED, UNLESS YOU CAN GET YOUR TOILETTING UNDER CONTROL* Get my toiletting under control?I wanted to rip this persons heart out. Like I can control how many times I go. Like you I lost my benefits. It's not fair at all and Ebbie I wish you the only best. I'm baby sitting little tikes in the comfort of my home at least Im my own boss and can go to the bathroom when ever I wish. Moneys tight...but for now it's the best I can do. Good luck Ebbie. My thoughts and prays are with you. God Bless.

·
Registered
927 Posts
There's no way an employer could do that here in New Zealand with our employment laws. You would definitely be able to bust a cap in his ass.you could even claim that the unique stress of this workplace was partly responsible for your IBS. most companies here would bend over backwards to assist. Poor you!

·
Registered
278 Posts
What kind of work do you do? In Colorado, I think a doctor's release would help cover (and of course expose) whateve illness you have so that by state laws, they must work with you as if you had a disability.... I fortunately am in sales and can come and go and go and go and go as often as I want. But not everyone has that freedom. I know you don't want to bring IBS up to the first place you interview with but maybe seek out a more understanding employer. I work in radio and have a very understanding situation. Six years ago when I started, I just had a good feeling that they would work with me with whatever came up and they always have. Hang in there! If they didn't understand then it wasn't the right place to be.Leslie

·
Registered
538 Posts
Hi Ebbie, sorry for your loss of your job. Don't use them as a reference. Make believe you never worked there if possible.I am quitting my job and I found out today that my boss is gone on vacation for the whole week and next week he will be out of the office for a few days. I will only get to see him on Tuesday and my last day will be Thursday. "YEAH"!!My words of comfort are, "God provides us with employment". I will pray for you to get a better job where people will be understanding of your medical problem. Hugz, Luci

·
Registered
244 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thank you all - how ironic - i worked in insurance. so basically they filled my position because i had not worked there a year and was not covered by the Family Medical Leave Act, or FMLA. it's a law that protects your job when you are out ill for extended periods of time. FORTUNATELY i have a good friend who works there and she is going to be my reference. i don't think it would be good to not put them on my resume lucia - it would look like i hadn't worked for the past year and i think that would look worse. anyway - thanks to all!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Ebbie- I haven't posted here in a long time... so long i had to reregister. I too, lost my job and stay at home now. So, i know some of what you are going through. I am starting an online biz (giftpond.com) instead of going back to work for someone else. Employers don't seem to get how this IBS works, ya know, and i didn't feel like i could handle the same type of experiences again. I am sorry about the job loss but, just know... it doesn't change the person that you are. Through all the IBS situations i have had (and there have been years)... i have learned that most people don't care if you are 'glued' to a toilet or not... they just like you for you and want you to be healthy. Ebbie- i wish you the best, chin up young person!

·
Registered
601 Posts
Put your friend on the resume. I did that. That sucks though- maybe there is an at home job you can do (like freelancing?) or something. Maybe leaving the job will ease the IBS - less stress and all! Although this is a new stress... but anyhow. Best of luck!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.