Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it better to eat several small meals throughout the day to keep something in your stomach? I noticed that it had been several hours since I had had oatmeal for breakfast when I got a sever cramp in my stomach. I figure it was caused by my not eating. Does anybody else have this happening to them? I always start out by eating soluble fiber foods on an empty stomach. I also notice that when I first get up in the morning, I feel yucky since it has been so long since I had anything to eat or had any meds. Thanks for your advice. GadJett

·
Registered
33,934 Posts
Generally several small meals a day is better.Letting yourself get over hungry can increase the gastrocolic reflex (Increase in colon activity after a meal). The bigger the burst in activity can mean more IBS symptoms for some people.Morning tends to be bad for IBS as there is a burst of activity around the time you get up. That is the time every person's colon is at its most active.K.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Kathleen. I need to pay more attention to keeping something in my stomach to prevent the painful spasms. Since I don't really have an appetite, I sometimes get wrapped up in doing things and just forget to eat. Now I will make sure that I have plenty of soluble snacks on hand for inbetween meals. Your advise is appreciated greatly. GadJett

·
Registered
83 Posts
I eat small meals some days. I usually have a small breakfast just so i have something in my stomach and some energy to start the day. For lunch i will sometimes eat half and let it digest and an hour or so later finish the rest of it. A few hours later when i get off work i usually have a bigger portioned dinner. I stay away from dairy, caffeine, fats and sugars.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks ThewallsRclosingIn...I appreciate your comments as I try to figure out my IBSd. I am new to this, about six weeks diagnosed, and would love to have more good days than bad days; but so far, that is not the case. I, too, avoid dairy, caffeine and fats. Since I figured Splenda was part of my problem, I do put sugar in my peppermint tea. I am also doing the calcium and that has really helped control the diarreah. These boards are really helpful and everybody has such good ideas. Thanks again, GadJett

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.