Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, now you might be thinking I'm a big baby. But I've never had a tube stuck through my butt/mouth before.So I was wondering.. how does it go? I need to get one since I have IBS-D. Do I feel anything? Is it embarrassing? Will it hurt?

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
The procedure details depend on the facility where you are having it done and also the country. Here in the US sedation is typical but it is not so typical in the UK.Your best bet is to call your Dr's office for the kind of detail you seem to be looking for.Many, many of us have had these procedures and... survived. No reason to think you won't as well. :(All the best

·
Registered
2 Posts
I live in the U.S. and was sedated for my colonoscopy. Didn't feel a thing, before or after. My best friend went with me, because they don't want you to drive afterwards. The cleaning out part is so horrible, though, I will warn you. No eating the day before, except for broth. And you're made to drink God-awful amounts of this clear liquid that's water mixed with powder and it's okay for the first bit, but since it's slightly thicker than water and you have to drink SO MUCH of it, it becomes really disgusting. I actually threw it up twice towards the end and couldn't finish the last ounce or two, I couldn't get it down anymore.And if you ever have to do that cleaning out bit the night before, you are going to need this advice--STAY NEAR A BATHROOM AT ALL TIMES. Don't make any plans to go anywhere or do anything at all. And you may not want anyone around, if possible. You will be in the bathroom for hours. Literally, hours. You'll think you're done going, and you'll turn right around and go again. It's quite tiring and will weaken you. It's not fun, and you won't be good company to be around. But at least it's only for one night, thankfully.

·
Registered
14,427 Posts
What?? Are you asking if your driver watches the procedure??THAT would be HIGHLY unprofessional in my opinion. But I'm sure I must have misunderstood your question.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Hi Autosaver,Having recently had both of these tests done I can tell you the following from my experience, bearing in mind it will vary from person to person;Prep: I was booked into the hospital for a Tuesday at 1;45pm, so I started the prep on the Monday evening, food wise on Monday I did not eat anything from lunch time onwards which was only a soup for lunch. I had 3 saches of powder to drink, about one and a half pints per sache. 2 saches on the Monday PM and one Tuesday AM. It took just over one hour to get going. I will admit it was not fun but a means to an end, in the end it will just be like passing water pretty much.At the Hospital: I like in the UK but went private but assume NHS will be similar apart from own room etc. But upon ariving at the Hosp I was taken to my room and had my blood pressure taken by my room nurse and answered a few questions etc. About 40 mins later I had to don the old backless gown and was wheeled in my bed to the opperating theater (it is only in the theater as this is where the equipment is etc so dont freak out about this). You will then be given a sadation, needle in the back of the hand or inner elbow, this may/may not make you feel sleepy, but what it did to me was make me forget a lot of the procedure, I can remember bits but nothing specific, a bit like a dreamy haze. Had the Endo 1st, you will be asked to bite a guard which has a hole in it, they will then pass this down into your stomach. Again you may or may not react this this in any way. They then put some jelly on your bum and push the tube in right the way around your bowel while inflating with air so they can see. I saw some on the TV screen but did not want to watch it all. After you will go into the recovery room for a bit, have your blood pressure taken again and then once all ok they will take you back to your room/ward where they will let you rest. Then they will want you to eat/drink and wee before letting you go home (well they did for me anyway). You will need someone to drive you home.Hope this helps and it goes ok. Try not to worry!

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
Hi, I had a colonoscopy several years ago, and apart from embarrassment and an unpleasant night before, there is nothing to worry about. The biggest 'fight' will be with your own imagination - because you always/only hear about the worst of the event. Remember, as with all medical procedures, the doctor and nursing staff have seen it all before....you are not the first for them.....they are familiar with patients fears/anxieties, and know how to take care of you. As said earlier in this post, most of us here have survived these procedures - they are unpleasant but necessary, and after you'll wonder why all the fuss.Baz

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,This is my first post and i thought it might help you if you're worried about having a colonoscopy. I had a colonoscopy yesterday and had conscious sedation, this doesn't knock you out but makes you feel a wee bit groggy, everthing went fine and i felt nothing but was aware of what was going on all the time. The whole examination lasted 30 minutes but because of the sedation it felt nowhere near that long. Don't worry, it's not as bad as you're thinking it will be.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hey there,I got a colonoscopy done this time last year. The worst part about the entire experience was the prep. As if we don't have enough BMs with IBS-D, you gotta drink a ton of laxatives to clean out of it. But once that's over, it's really not that bad. I was completely knocked out. The last thing I remember was getting on the table and the IV in my hand. I woke up, with terrible gas and bloating, but that went a way quickly. I also experience less frequent BMs for about a month after, it was kind of refreshing.- 20 yr/old college kid.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I went for a sigmoidoscopy when I was 17. I am not trying to scare anyone, but for me it was very painful (no sedatives). Prior to the the acutal procedure, I was given the fleet enema to clear the lower GI. Unfortunately, that was extremely painful because it was fairly large...not like the one you can purchase in the store. Then finally came the sigmoidoscopy which was very uncomfortable, but not nearly as bad as the fleet enema. When the endoscopy is inside, you do not really feel anything. I am currently 18 and went for a colonoscopy about 2 months ago. The doctor gave me a general anesthesia, so I slept through the procedure and felt nothing. Many people say the solutions you are required to drink the day before is the worst part, since it sends you to the bathroom constantly. However, if you have IBS-D like I do, that seems like a piece of cake.So as long as your put under sedation it should be fine. I think for me the first procedure was very painful because I was already going to the bathroom so much, causing it to be very sensative in that area.GOOD LUCK!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.