Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went yesterday for my endoscopy. I know I said Tues., but it was moved up a day. Anyway, they got me all hooked up and just liked I figured my blood pressure and pulse were high. I was shaking I was so scared. I was able to gargle the numbing medication and then they had me turn on my side and started delivering the medication. I was becoming very relaxed, but still very with it. They put the mouth guard in my mouth and I told them I was not out. AT that point they had given me the highest dose of versed they could, so they were unable to do the procedure. I was so upset I stared to cry. I didn't want to have to go through this again. They said I was so anxious that the versed couldn't take effect. When I had it done last year I was just as scared, but didn't have this problem. So I don't know why for sure this happened. So I'm rescheduled for Oct 2 and this time an anisteseologist will be there to give me, I'm not sure what exactly, but something to so I will be out. I was so drugged that I got violently ill in the car on the way home. Thank goodness my hubby had a plastic bag in the car. Even though I had nothing to eat or drink, I still managed to barf up something. Another mystery. That was a long 45 min. ride home. I came home and slept 5 hrs. I still feel out of it this morning. I'll be glad when this is out of my system. If anyone has to have this done, please don't let this scare you. The majority of people have no problems. I'm going back to bed. Bye

·
Registered
496 Posts
Donna
Im so sorry you underwent so much difficulty with endoscopy. Ive lived through this similar experience last September99. Its not unusual for the sedatives to not have taken effect for you to feel relaxed. True, your own fear and anxiety atop of ineffectual sedation complicated this procedure. Ive had 5 or 6 gastroscopies performed since 1987, the last one was in July of 2000- all were successful (no agony) save for that one in September99. at that time, I felt extreme anticipation & I believe the administration of sedatives were not adequate or were "spaced" too far apart, such that the first cc dose started to wear off before I could feel calm; I started to gag badly several times, yanked the scope out & they re-tried 4x til eventually my throat was so sore & I was very upset
. Im not sure what went awry with your case this time I can only imagine, that sedation was poorly given. I hope you wont encounter this problem on 10/02 Donna, Im sure it will be successful and painless then
esp. with an anesthesiologist involved. Take Care + Good Luck. PS yes folks, usually this procedure is painless without problems! Dont let either of us scare you
[This message has been edited by Lisa K (edited 09-19-2000).]

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When I had my endoscopy, they gave me Driperidol first, then the Versed, other than a few shadows and faint mental images,I cant remember a thing. I also had a colonoscopy at the same time and had some Demerol for that. I had some polyps removed and have to have surgery to get out a remaining flat polyp....only hope the surgery goes as well.I have anxiety also and was a bundle of nerves prior to the procedure...thats why they gave me the Driperidol first. I think it is the sense of losing control that gets me...plus a lot of "free floating", "what ifs"....adds up to a scary situation. Im sure your next procedure will be a snap.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Oh Donna, I'm so sorry this happened to you! I went through with my endoscopy today, but in my case I don't think they gave me enough of the Versid. I was very anxious too-and the spray for my throat did NOT help AT ALL-The doctor had to try it twice-and even then I still gagged really hard. The nice part is they found nothing-everything looked healthy so I hope I NEVER have to have it done again!! The only thing is-now why does my stomach hurt all the time and the nausea? ANyways-I hope all goes well next time and they can knock you out for it. If I ever have it done again I'll ask to be out for it!!!Hope you are better soon!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When it comes to endoscopy or colonoscopy, "out of it" is the only way to be!Angel...perhaps your discomfort is caused by the large amount of gas they inflate you with during the exam.....as it expels and/or otherwise goes away...you'll feel better. Maybe some ginger ale would help....it will pass.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone for your input. I feel a little more with it now, but have now developed diarrhea. Those drugs are sure messing up my already messed up system. Angelkitten, I'm sorry to hear that you weren't completely out. I'm so thankful my Dr. did not try and do the procedure anyway. The stuff I had to gargle worked great. I was so numb I didn't think I would be able to swallow, but I could. I have a feeling that when this test is finally completed that like you they won't find anything wrong. Not that I want anything to be wrong, but its like, ok ,where do I go from here. I've had every test that can be done. So I have to live the rest of my life this way. I guess I'll go back and try the accupuncture again.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Donna, so sorry to hear it was a bad experience. As I said, I understand about anxiety and nerves. I had a test a long time ago where they put a tube (I think with a scope camera). Don't know the name of it, does it sound like what you are having.Anyway, they told me if I felt like I could not do it in doctor's office, I could have it done at hospital. But I decided to have it in the office procedure room.They did not give me anything to relax before, but gave me something in an IV that definitely knocked me out. I don't know if it was supposed to. I did start to come to, began to gag, and evidently try to pull it out. I remember them telling me they were almost done. They kept trying to calm me, but then had to give me more cc's of whatever and I knocked out again. It all happened so fast, but when I really came to, I was so upset. If I ever have to do it again, I will insist that they not let me come to until it is all over. I didn't have to swallow that I know of. As I said, I was knocked out from the beginning.The anesth. will more than likely put you to sleep. Remind him not to let you come to till it's all over.I know you are going through a lot and are frustrated, it's easier said than done-but try to hang in there. yo

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Jean and Yo for the supportive words. I wish I knew what they were going to give me this time. I'm going to ask if they can let me stay at the hospital longer this time. I don't want to end up puking in the car again. That was scary. Not the actual puking part, but the way I felt before I did. My Dr. gave me a script for 1 mg of xanax to take befor I go that day. I need to talk to him about that. I can't tolerate that amount. I had to chuckle though. I guess he really wants me be relaxed. Now that I think that all of the effects of the versed are out of my system I'm not going to think about it until it gets closer to the actual date. Just to save my sanity. Errr...what little is left.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts