Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
3,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to go into hospital on tues for an endoscopy,the following week i have to go in for an gastroscopy,im not quite sure why i have to go and have both procedures done
ah well gotta go and have them done what a thought

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
I thought an endoscopy was the same thing as a gastroscopy. Maybe where you live the term endoscopy refers to a colonoscopy which looks at your colon and the gastroscopy looks at your upper GI tract=stomach.Myabe give the Dr/facility a call to verify.Do you have to do any type of prep before the test? I believe there is no prep other than nothing to eat or drink after midnite the nite before for the upper endo/gastroscopy. A colonoscopy would require bowel prep the day before.I have had both, one right after the other and for me it was no big deal, the bowel prep was the worst part. Also I was given a light general, but usually the sedation given works fine for most people (I had adverse reactions to the sedation at another time, which by the way is extrmely rare)

·
Banned
3,903 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hi nancy , i called the unit earlier on and they said its the same thing gastroscopy/endoscopy ..docs look directly at the lining of the oesophagus (gullet)the stomach and the duodenum.phew what a mouthful oesophagus is
Of course they have slotted me in for 2.45 pm which means i cant have anything to eat from 10pm the previous evening,ohmigoddd how am i gonna manage? ill be starving i wonder if the disposable gowns they give you are edible? haha! i always seem to get the gown that has thingies missing cant think of the word, and my backside is always revealed
god help any student docs if they happen to be working that day, god that will put them off the medical profession (and anything else for life)

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
I bet it would be okay to eat/drink till midnite the nite before (here where I go its always nothing after midnight, even w/a morning apt. Where your test isnt till afternoon your stomach should be empty by that time. Where I go they give you something to eat/drink right afterwards when you "wake up". Maybe bring along a snack for after if where you go doesnt provide food.In my experience it can be sort of unsettling being half dressed w/residents, students, patients and dr's hanging around. But on the plus side IMO if there are students then its a teaching facility which is IMO a good thing=a place that knows what its doing.In my expereince the test was nothing/not bad at all. Good luck, but you'll do fine

·
Registered
222 Posts
joolie:Have you received the H-Pylori test results.Also, read that contaminated foods which result in food poisoning, could cause long term effects with the digestive system- certain bacteria.Appears that if anyone has food poisoning symptoms- should take antibiotics and get tested for the H-Pylori.That web site is helico.comAppears to a degree that everything is interelated.BillBill

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.