Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if docs can see gallbladder during an endoscopy. I had one 4 monthes ago, doc says all was clear. I think he mentioned the gallbladder being ok, but I don't remember or sure. I ask because I have some symptoms of gallblder problems, but they are pretty much the same as always, could be part of ibs also, since pain is both right and left as well as center back. What do you all think?

·
Registered
74 Posts
I'm sure an endoscopy could at see at least the external part of the gall bladder, but not what's inside. My doctor gave me a gall bladder ultra-sound in addition to an endoscopy to make sure my gall bladder wasn't causing my problems.I guess what I'm saying is that the endoscopy would most likely see any major abnormality in the way the gall bladder looks, such as enlargement, inflammation, or externally visible tumors, but will not really be able to see any internal problems in the gall bladder or its functioning. Possibly, blood test results combined with the endoscopy may give the doctor confidence that you don't have any gall bladder problems. But if you have doubts, be sure to let him know of your concerns, and if he thinks furthur testing is warranted.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
I don't think an endoscope can view the gallbladder but I could be wrong. I know they can visulaize the esophagus and stomach and up to the large intestine. I think there is a test called the ERCP that can view the ducts of the gallbladder. The only tests I know that can view the gallbladder are the ultrasound and the hida scan can view the walls and the functioning. They used to do a radioactive type x-ray but I don't think they do those anymore. The hida scan I believe is used instead of that type of x-ray now. http://www.asge.org/gui/patient/upper.asp http://www.gastro.org/public/brochures/ercp.html

·
Registered
208 Posts
Hi Kazzy,My doc used an abdominal ultrasound to rule out a gall bladder problem. The endoscopy I had soon after was to look at my esophagus, esophageal sphincter, and stomach. I didn't think they could see the gall bladder from in there, otherwise why do the ultrasound, but you should check with your doctor.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.