Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got a referral to see a gastrologist and I have an endoscopy scheduled in two weeks. I have been constantly nauseous especially after eating..I am very nervous about this procedure...

·
Banned
415 Posts
Hi andrea22,I had an endoscopy about 2 years ago. Really, try not to worry about it too much. I had a sedative and don't really remember much of what happened. The worst part was the waiting, i was nervous as you are. It was all over very quickly, felt about 30 seconds, and thanks to the sedative i really didn't feel much at all. I am hypo-active and had to have a little extra sedative, but it's possible for you to sleep through the whole thing, a couple of people there with me did.I hope you can relax a little now. Oh! They didn't mention the sedative to me untill i got there so don't worry if it hasn't been mentioned to you. Check with the hospital or your doc if it will set your mind at ease. Lisa

·
Registered
154 Posts
Andrea - this was so easy for me. I had one three weeks ago. I had a colonoscopy at the same time, so I was 'out' with sedation. My throat felt numb from a local anesthesia when I woke up... but I don't remember a thing...Super duper easy and really no prep (like colonoscopy) except for not eating 12-24 hours before procedure.You'll be happy you got it done. Good luck!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had an endoscopy done last year because my Upper GI showed I had gastric polyps. The test was easy--they gave me a IV called MAC. The dr removed 5 polyps--said they were inflamatory (nothing to worry about). I was also told I had chronic gastritis and H-pylori. After taking the medicine for the H-pylori, my nausea got better. So don't worry. I went to sleep only to wake up and the test was over--didn't remember a thing.TKC

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Andrea, I've had 2 of them. The first I was as nervous as you are. The 2nd I had done with a colonoscopy and I was so worried about it that I forgot I was having the endoscopy done! It's honestly nothing. You pretty much wake up after it's over and get sent home. I had no sore throat, nothing at all. Hang in there and try not to be nervous (I know hindsight is a wonderful thing!)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the comment. My dad has had one and says its nothing. I am just worried I guess about the sedative. I have to think that this test will hopefully bring me answers of why i am so nauseous. My anxiety gets the best of me!

·
Registered
585 Posts
AndreaThis is one of the easiest tests. Had one just 3 days ago and my second in 2 years. The sedation works so well that you don't feel anything. The waiting around in bed till the nurse comes and takes you to the room for the procedure was the worst part. The test was a breeze. Just be prepared to sleep the entire day when you come home and believe me it will the best restful sleep one can get for the day.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Hey Andrea. There are a few posts under an endoscopy topic on the 'Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease (GERD)' board. (i posted there the other day about an endoscopy) I didnt even have a sore throat after mine. I was allowed home as soon as i had woken up. They gave me some squash and biscuits when i woke up and then my mum came to take me home. She did have to prop me up a bit as we walked to the car. Hee hee. My legs gave way. Not in a scary way though, it was funny. THink i slept quite a bit for the rest of the day. I get so unbelievably nervous about stuff like this. And i wouldnt be scared about having it done again. Im such a wimp as well! Ele

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.