Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Flux, thanks for the tip about the enzymes for digesting food. I went and bought some immediately, as I was feeling a bit "off" and was having lunch with some friends and was worried about whether I would be able to eat or not. So I took one and lo and behold I ate some deep-fried fish (wasn't I daring?) and: NO PROBLEM!!The particular ones I bought have pankreatin and aspergillus oryzae in them. What is actually the "probiotics" that I see mentioned occasionally on the BB? Is this what you can buy in the supermarket in the milk section?Remember that I live in Switzerland so I am often not familiar with the products and brands available there.

G

·
Hey SusanKay,I think that tip was from Kmottus, I don't think Flux believes in that stuff, but I could be wrong.An example of a probiotic is acidophilus. It is supposed to replace a build up of bad bacteria in the gut with good. It's naturally occurring in the intestine, so the more of it the better. I use Herbal Roots, F.O.S. 8 billion plus (you want at least that) Acidophilus Ultra. It worked like a charm for me. I've read that people with IBS have problems with maintaining the right levels of good flora in the intestinal tract due to the chronic symptoms. Try it out. You can't O.D. on the stuff. Hope this helps.

G

·
Hey SusanKay,I think that tip was from Kmottus, I don't think Flux believes in that stuff, but I could be wrong.An example of a probiotic is acidophilus. It is supposed to replace a build up of bad bacteria in the gut with good. It's naturally occurring in the intestine, so the more of it the better. I use Herbal Roots, F.O.S. 8 billion plus (you want at least that) Acidophilus Ultra. It worked like a charm for me. I've read that people with IBS have problems with maintaining the right levels of good flora in the intestinal tract due to the chronic symptoms. Try it out. You can't O.D. on the stuff. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
quote:I think that tip was from Kmottus, I don't think Flux believes in that stuff, but I could be wrong.
Yes and no. I don't believe there is any point in taking enzymes to help digest food since IBS persons do that as well as healthy people do. However, a particular enzyme supplement, Creon, has been found helpful for some people who complain of bloating. I doubt its apparent benefit has anything to do with digestion per se though.I would recommend Creon as opposed to any other supplement because it was the one tested and because it is guaranteed to be authentic and free of impurities. It's hard to trust stuff bought what's over the counter because it doesn't have legally contain any enzymes and can contain impurities.Probiotics are strains of bacteria that appear to be helpful. In particular, some of the bacteria living in the colon break down undigested food and deliver the energy byproducts to nourish the colon. Lactobacillus GG in particular has been found to be helpful in treating antibiotic-associated colitis.------------------I am not a doctor, nor do I work for profit in the medical/pharmacological field, but I have read scientific and medical texts, and have access to numerous sources of medical information that are not readily available to others. One should always consult a medical professional regarding advice received.[This message has been edited by flux (edited 08-11-2001).]

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
quote:I think that tip was from Kmottus, I don't think Flux believes in that stuff, but I could be wrong.
Yes and no. I don't believe there is any point in taking enzymes to help digest food since IBS persons do that as well as healthy people do. However, a particular enzyme supplement, Creon, has been found helpful for some people who complain of bloating. I doubt its apparent benefit has anything to do with digestion per se though.I would recommend Creon as opposed to any other supplement because it was the one tested and because it is guaranteed to be authentic and free of impurities. It's hard to trust stuff bought what's over the counter because it doesn't have legally contain any enzymes and can contain impurities.Probiotics are strains of bacteria that appear to be helpful. In particular, some of the bacteria living in the colon break down undigested food and deliver the energy byproducts to nourish the colon. Lactobacillus GG in particular has been found to be helpful in treating antibiotic-associated colitis.------------------I am not a doctor, nor do I work for profit in the medical/pharmacological field, but I have read scientific and medical texts, and have access to numerous sources of medical information that are not readily available to others. One should always consult a medical professional regarding advice received.[This message has been edited by flux (edited 08-11-2001).]

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So then these probiotics come in a liquid in the supermarket or do you buy them in the health food store? I imagine I don't need this, though, since I have not taken any antibiotics in about 20 years. I am pretty sure it was Flux who mentioned the Creon. Do the ingredients I mentioned above match up more or less with those in Creon? The ones I bought are called Combizym, but I imagine you won't be familiar with this brand (it is a small Swiss company that makes them).

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So then these probiotics come in a liquid in the supermarket or do you buy them in the health food store? I imagine I don't need this, though, since I have not taken any antibiotics in about 20 years. I am pretty sure it was Flux who mentioned the Creon. Do the ingredients I mentioned above match up more or less with those in Creon? The ones I bought are called Combizym, but I imagine you won't be familiar with this brand (it is a small Swiss company that makes them).

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
The brands of probiotics that seem to get the best reviews are Culturelle (lactobacillus GG) Probiotica and PB8. Like the enzymes you can't always be sure you are getting what the label says but there have been enough people here who seem to find these brands helpful that they probably do have active bacteria in them. Acidophilus is one commonly used term for them. Lactobacilli of various species are commonly used in alot of products as are some other species. It may take some trial and error to find a local brand that works well (a recent survey of European probiotics showed mixed results...but I don't have that handy so I don't remember which brands tested well--I'll see if I can find it). What you should notice if it is working for you is that the level of gas you have (often in terms of fart frequency) reduces within the first couple of weeks. So if your gonna experiment buy small amounts til you find one that works.Everyone's intestinal ecology is a bit different and even without antibiotics you may have more non-probiotic bacteria than probiotic ones.One of the big differnces is that probiotic bacteria produce virtually no gas from carbohydrates that you don't digest well that end up in the colon and some of the non-probiotic species produce copious gas from those same carbohydrates.I've used Enzyme Digestant from GNC for bloating and it works pretty well for me. I didn't bother getting the script and just decided to try those and see if they helped. I think the label has some of the same enzymes in the Creon (I remember looking up what Creon had in it before going to GNC). K.------------------I have worked for the government and at universities doing scientific research primarily in the area of the environment and the impact of environmental factors on human health, I have never done any independant clinical testing for the pharmaceutical industry, nor have I ever worked for a drug company. I have no financial, academic, or any other stake in any commercial, natural, or any other product mentioned by me.My story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html[This message has been edited by kmottus (edited 08-13-2001).]

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
The brands of probiotics that seem to get the best reviews are Culturelle (lactobacillus GG) Probiotica and PB8. Like the enzymes you can't always be sure you are getting what the label says but there have been enough people here who seem to find these brands helpful that they probably do have active bacteria in them. Acidophilus is one commonly used term for them. Lactobacilli of various species are commonly used in alot of products as are some other species. It may take some trial and error to find a local brand that works well (a recent survey of European probiotics showed mixed results...but I don't have that handy so I don't remember which brands tested well--I'll see if I can find it). What you should notice if it is working for you is that the level of gas you have (often in terms of fart frequency) reduces within the first couple of weeks. So if your gonna experiment buy small amounts til you find one that works.Everyone's intestinal ecology is a bit different and even without antibiotics you may have more non-probiotic bacteria than probiotic ones.One of the big differnces is that probiotic bacteria produce virtually no gas from carbohydrates that you don't digest well that end up in the colon and some of the non-probiotic species produce copious gas from those same carbohydrates.I've used Enzyme Digestant from GNC for bloating and it works pretty well for me. I didn't bother getting the script and just decided to try those and see if they helped. I think the label has some of the same enzymes in the Creon (I remember looking up what Creon had in it before going to GNC). K.------------------I have worked for the government and at universities doing scientific research primarily in the area of the environment and the impact of environmental factors on human health, I have never done any independant clinical testing for the pharmaceutical industry, nor have I ever worked for a drug company. I have no financial, academic, or any other stake in any commercial, natural, or any other product mentioned by me.My story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html[This message has been edited by kmottus (edited 08-13-2001).]

·
Registered
401 Posts
Hi kmottus .. the enzymes you are buying from GNC, are they labelled as being vegetarian by any chance ? Could you be bothered to post what is in them for me ... many times customers need enzymes and I need a good vegetarian brand to recommend in the USA.Thanks ..Kind thoughtsDianne

·
Registered
401 Posts
Hi kmottus .. the enzymes you are buying from GNC, are they labelled as being vegetarian by any chance ? Could you be bothered to post what is in them for me ... many times customers need enzymes and I need a good vegetarian brand to recommend in the USA.Thanks ..Kind thoughtsDianne

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
They probably aren't as they have Ox bile in them. And I'd guess any enzymes made by the pancrease are animal derived as well.Vegetarian wise your pretty much talking things from papaya and I dunno if they would work the same as the Creon that was tests was mostly pancreatic enzymes.K.------------------I have worked for the government and at universities doing scientific research primarily in the area of the environment and the impact of environmental factors on human health, I have never done any independant clinical testing for the pharmaceutical industry, nor have I ever worked for a drug company. I have no financial, academic, or any other stake in any commercial, natural, or any other product mentioned by me.My story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
They probably aren't as they have Ox bile in them. And I'd guess any enzymes made by the pancrease are animal derived as well.Vegetarian wise your pretty much talking things from papaya and I dunno if they would work the same as the Creon that was tests was mostly pancreatic enzymes.K.------------------I have worked for the government and at universities doing scientific research primarily in the area of the environment and the impact of environmental factors on human health, I have never done any independant clinical testing for the pharmaceutical industry, nor have I ever worked for a drug company. I have no financial, academic, or any other stake in any commercial, natural, or any other product mentioned by me.My story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html

·
Registered
346 Posts
My daughter's gastro. prescribed creon forte. It does seem to have helped with the d. which the doctor wondered whether was more to do with fat malabsorption.There is a test where you eat a large quantity of fat, but my daughter refused to deliberately make herself feel ill during the school term. Creon contains pancreatic extract from pigs and that is lipase, amylase and protease. You take 1 or 2 with meals. Solvay pharmaceuticals. They are px only in Australia. If ones from plants worked as well I'd rather she was taking them. gilly

·
Registered
346 Posts
My daughter's gastro. prescribed creon forte. It does seem to have helped with the d. which the doctor wondered whether was more to do with fat malabsorption.There is a test where you eat a large quantity of fat, but my daughter refused to deliberately make herself feel ill during the school term. Creon contains pancreatic extract from pigs and that is lipase, amylase and protease. You take 1 or 2 with meals. Solvay pharmaceuticals. They are px only in Australia. If ones from plants worked as well I'd rather she was taking them. gilly

1 - 19 of 19 Posts