Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have IBS flare-ups that don't seem to be triggered by food or stress?I've been modifying my diet for 8 years, since I started having IBS episodes. I know dairy causes episodes, as do specific kinds of stress, so I avoid them.But most of my episodes don't seem to be triggered by food or stress. They come when I eat exactly the same (non-trigger) foods I've been eating safely for weeks, and when my stress level is low and stable. What's more, after an episode peaks (within the first 12-24 hours) and I start feeling better, I can eat the same foods I ate beforehand with no ill effects; I don't have a heightened sensitivity to them while my intestines are still touchy.It's very confusing, and frustrating. I've had the usual tests -- blood, stool, colonoscopy, barium swallow with small-bowel follow-through -- and all come up normal. I'm not sure IBS is the right diagnosis, but my GI docs can't offer me anything better.I just want to find out what I need to change to stop these episodes from starting.

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
sometimes my episodes are clearly linked to food and/or stress. but, today, i had a lot of trouble and i did not eat anything out of the ordinary, and basically did housework all day (so fairly stress free). sure makes it hard to know what to do about it! hope this helps.~mrs. mason
bad colon

·
Registered
3,150 Posts
sometimes my episodes are clearly linked to food and/or stress. but, today, i had a lot of trouble and i did not eat anything out of the ordinary, and basically did housework all day (so fairly stress free). sure makes it hard to know what to do about it! hope this helps.~mrs. mason
bad colon

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Lissa1My IBS is related to food intolerance..For years I followed the rules of staying away from the foods they said to stay away from with IBS and didnt get any better...I stayed away from milk and dairy products and found out later that wasnt the problem...I deprived myself of alot of things that I could have eaten..all of the food they say stay away from when you have IBS is not problem for me..except caffeine.....My anxiety is almost gone today now that I dont have to worry about getting sick when I go out ..I dont wake up with the fear of facing the day and wondering what will today be like ???Hope you start feeling better soon and if food is one of your triggers with IBS remember it can be a delayed reaction and could be dose related..but everyone's body is different so what works for one may be alittle different for the other..IBS causes alot of emotional turmoil..and you might want to try some type of relaxation excerise.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Lissa1My IBS is related to food intolerance..For years I followed the rules of staying away from the foods they said to stay away from with IBS and didnt get any better...I stayed away from milk and dairy products and found out later that wasnt the problem...I deprived myself of alot of things that I could have eaten..all of the food they say stay away from when you have IBS is not problem for me..except caffeine.....My anxiety is almost gone today now that I dont have to worry about getting sick when I go out ..I dont wake up with the fear of facing the day and wondering what will today be like ???Hope you start feeling better soon and if food is one of your triggers with IBS remember it can be a delayed reaction and could be dose related..but everyone's body is different so what works for one may be alittle different for the other..IBS causes alot of emotional turmoil..and you might want to try some type of relaxation excerise.

·
Registered
6,730 Posts
Quickie: _______________________________________"Does anyone have IBS flare-ups that don't seem to be triggered by food or stress?" ________________________________________This is one of the most common symptomologic presentations in the "IBS population" esp. the d-episodics.Due to the interractive nature of the gastro-neuro-immuno system, and the many possible pathways by which symptom generation can be accomplished, and the fact that the time lag between provocation and symptom onset can be out of phse by up to 3 days in some instances, unless very very careful lifestyle analysis is done in a very specific,methodical and patient way, it can be impossible to establish a clear cause-effect relationship between dietary intake, perceived stress levels, and the onset of symptoms.This has been not only the clinical hallmark of many peoples condition but the situation that leads people (doctors and patients alike) to erroneously conclude that one or the other or even neither is related to their so called 'IBS episodes".IF the differential diagnosis has been properly made and easily identifiable pathology ruled out, then this conclusion ultimately proves out to be incorrect in most cases. It is akin to lacking any tools to see beyond the horizon, and from observing sunrise, travel across the sky, and sunset for years on end concluding that the sun is moving around the earth. As obvious as it seems to the senses and logic, it is the polar opposite of actuality. Heck suggesting otherwise used to get people killed not all that long ago...same as the Flat Earth Thinking.Now it just annoys some folks at least, to suggest such things...no death sentences handed down.Now, This situation is nobodies fault as for years ther has been no way to adequately isolate the provoking situations in cases like this.But that is no longer true, again with the caveat that you have been properly diagnosed first.These two books, if read, can help explain the whys and wehrefors of what such people experience so they can understand not only how and why this happens but what some of your options are to do about it."FOOD ALLERGIES AND FOOD INTOLERANCE: THE COMPLETE GUIDE TO THEIR IDENTIFICTION AND TREATMENT", Professor Jonathan Brostoff , M.D.. Allergy, Immunology and Environmental Medicine, Kings' College, London http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/089...6487508-3420903 IBS: A DOCTORS PLAN FOR CHRONIC DIGESTIVE TROUBLESBy Gerard Guillory, M.D.; Vanessa Ameen, M.D.; Paul Donovan, M.D.; Jack Martin, Ph.D. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-h...9085785-1742301 Of all the books I have read, and all the docs I have worked with, I recommend these two books esp. for those trying to learn to overcome the symptoms of IBS, with d-predominance or cyclic d& c in particular, who share the frustrations expressed herein.Eat well. Think well. be well.MNL

·
Registered
6,730 Posts
Quickie: _______________________________________"Does anyone have IBS flare-ups that don't seem to be triggered by food or stress?" ________________________________________This is one of the most common symptomologic presentations in the "IBS population" esp. the d-episodics.Due to the interractive nature of the gastro-neuro-immuno system, and the many possible pathways by which symptom generation can be accomplished, and the fact that the time lag between provocation and symptom onset can be out of phse by up to 3 days in some instances, unless very very careful lifestyle analysis is done in a very specific,methodical and patient way, it can be impossible to establish a clear cause-effect relationship between dietary intake, perceived stress levels, and the onset of symptoms.This has been not only the clinical hallmark of many peoples condition but the situation that leads people (doctors and patients alike) to erroneously conclude that one or the other or even neither is related to their so called 'IBS episodes".IF the differential diagnosis has been properly made and easily identifiable pathology ruled out, then this conclusion ultimately proves out to be incorrect in most cases. It is akin to lacking any tools to see beyond the horizon, and from observing sunrise, travel across the sky, and sunset for years on end concluding that the sun is moving around the earth. As obvious as it seems to the senses and logic, it is the polar opposite of actuality. Heck suggesting otherwise used to get people killed not all that long ago...same as the Flat Earth Thinking.Now it just annoys some folks at least, to suggest such things...no death sentences handed down.Now, This situation is nobodies fault as for years ther has been no way to adequately isolate the provoking situations in cases like this.But that is no longer true, again with the caveat that you have been properly diagnosed first.These two books, if read, can help explain the whys and wehrefors of what such people experience so they can understand not only how and why this happens but what some of your options are to do about it."FOOD ALLERGIES AND FOOD INTOLERANCE: THE COMPLETE GUIDE TO THEIR IDENTIFICTION AND TREATMENT", Professor Jonathan Brostoff , M.D.. Allergy, Immunology and Environmental Medicine, Kings' College, London http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/089...6487508-3420903 IBS: A DOCTORS PLAN FOR CHRONIC DIGESTIVE TROUBLESBy Gerard Guillory, M.D.; Vanessa Ameen, M.D.; Paul Donovan, M.D.; Jack Martin, Ph.D. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/search-h...9085785-1742301 Of all the books I have read, and all the docs I have worked with, I recommend these two books esp. for those trying to learn to overcome the symptoms of IBS, with d-predominance or cyclic d& c in particular, who share the frustrations expressed herein.Eat well. Think well. be well.MNL

·
Registered
325 Posts
MikeNoLo, I'm sure you have a ton of knowledge and information, however, I find it extremely difficult to get through your posts. I am not a medical professional and I rarely understand WHAT you are talking about. Could you PLEASE use "plain language". I'm sure I'm not the only person missing your message because I don't understand it.

·
Registered
325 Posts
MikeNoLo, I'm sure you have a ton of knowledge and information, however, I find it extremely difficult to get through your posts. I am not a medical professional and I rarely understand WHAT you are talking about. Could you PLEASE use "plain language". I'm sure I'm not the only person missing your message because I don't understand it.

·
Registered
6,922 Posts
Hi Lissa:Antibiotics can also cause D which, in some people, causes IBS. If you take too much of some vitamins you can also get D. Vitamin C in too large quantities will set me off. I'm sure there are herbs that will, also. Some medications have D as a side effect.I hope you're feeling better soon!JeanG

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.