Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at my gastro last week and am on lotronex. Am having constipation (which is really new to me) she gave me equalactin to try and am afraid only because I don't know what to expect yet I need help with the c. Anyone taken it? Thanks in advance for you kind responses.------------------

·
Registered
23,983 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
eric, thanks so much for your prompt reply. I have such a long history of gastro, colo-rectal stuff that I will one day get to put it all down. In the meantime I think you are right I haven't been able to handle fruit, vegetables , juices (maybe in mi-nute amounts) but with the lotronex feel maybe just maybe I can start adding more fiber and I think I will go to the citricil as for now I am more comfortable with it. I am also pretty new to this bb and not so great at the computer but did get to the sites you referred me to. I am going back to your site shortly. thanks again. Carole------------------

·
Registered
23,983 Posts

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
Carol-I take fibercon which has the same ingredients as equalactin. I have been taking 2 fibercons daily for many years (since my scope which diagnosed IBS-had alot of D at the time). Now I would say I can go both ways, C and D or on "good days" I just go alot. The fibercon definately helps me but it is different for everyone. I think you'll need to give it at least 2 weeks before you can know if it is helpful to you. Hope this helps and feel free to e-mail me any time if I can help you further
------------------Nancy

G

·
Carole -- I have used equalactin to stop attacks (I am IBS/D) it definitly helped, especially with the abdominal pain....make sure you drink tons of water with it though...especially if you are taking it for C...read the back of the box VERY carefully!

·
Registered
1,781 Posts
Ditto ChrissyC - you have to drink lots and lots of water if you're C. I took it and it helped, but found fibercon to be cheaper (from what I remember they had the same active ingredient). I switched to taking magnesium supplements since I can't drink that much water while at work.Ty------------------There is nothing so strong as gentleness,and there is nothing more gentle as real strength.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you all so much for your help. I really have a problem with lots of meds as my gut reacts badly to calcium, metamucil, magnesium, etc. at least it did a while back. I just can't handle anything too strong. I also have no storage in my colon as my sigmoid was removed about four years ago due to a rectal prolapse and a sigmoid that was ulcerated. So as I have no reservoior it is sooooo difficult for me to judge too much fiber-too little fiber. Up until the lotronex I would go anywhere from 5 to 15 times a day. Maybe along with the citricil (in the past it has helped with D and I think i am too chicken to try anything else right now}. My gastro is wonderful and I just saw her I think she would say to me perhaps lower the lotronex which could be another option. Well guys thanks again for all your input. It means a lot to me.------------------

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.