Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all. I just saw a commercial for something called Equalactin. It's supposed to solve both the constipation and diarhhea caused by IBS. I'm going to do an Internet search on it, but thought I'd ask if anyone had heard of it or used it.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I think they may have started with a radio ad campaign first, as I heard a commercial on WGN radio many months ago. In the commercial, the woman comes home from the dr.'s and tells her sig other that she has IBS. P.S. and she sounded rather upbeat about it

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
I think they may have started with a radio ad campaign first, as I heard a commercial on WGN radio many months ago. In the commercial, the woman comes home from the dr.'s and tells her sig other that she has IBS. P.S. and she sounded rather upbeat about it

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
It is a bulk forming fiber. Wouldn't that make it just like Citrucel, metamucil, etc? Doesn't sound like a miracle cure to me although I know fiber can be helpful in some cases.I've seen this in local drugstores like CVS.nancy

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
It is a bulk forming fiber. Wouldn't that make it just like Citrucel, metamucil, etc? Doesn't sound like a miracle cure to me although I know fiber can be helpful in some cases.I've seen this in local drugstores like CVS.nancy

·
Registered
922 Posts
Equalactin has been around for several years, they must be rerunning their commercials thinking people will believe it is new? I tried it way back and it does no more than eating something with fiber! If you need fiber eat veggies! Norb

·
Registered
922 Posts
Equalactin has been around for several years, they must be rerunning their commercials thinking people will believe it is new? I tried it way back and it does no more than eating something with fiber! If you need fiber eat veggies! Norb

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So you're saying that it's no different from the Prodiem I already take? That's very disappointing. And yes, the woman did seemed quite pleased to have IBS. Just what she was waiting for, a chance to use Equalactin!

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So you're saying that it's no different from the Prodiem I already take? That's very disappointing. And yes, the woman did seemed quite pleased to have IBS. Just what she was waiting for, a chance to use Equalactin!

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Yes, it has been around for a few years. I tried it and it worked, but I also had a very bad reaction to it - in the form of lots of gas, distention, discomfort, and gurgling. I found out that it contains citric acid, and I am very sensitive to that particular additive. I decided to stick to finely ground flax meal and lots of filtered H20 and tea. It works just as well, and doesn't produce the uncomfortable reaction. If I get a little too much stooling, I just go to a little more calcium carbonate supplement and if overly constipated, add a little more magnesium supplement. I suppose if you are not sensitive to what it contains, and you hate to eat veggies and whole grains, it might be a viable alternative. I think flux said once that it was no more than a combination of fiber and what a calcium supplement contains, which is why it may work for both conditions.

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Yes, it has been around for a few years. I tried it and it worked, but I also had a very bad reaction to it - in the form of lots of gas, distention, discomfort, and gurgling. I found out that it contains citric acid, and I am very sensitive to that particular additive. I decided to stick to finely ground flax meal and lots of filtered H20 and tea. It works just as well, and doesn't produce the uncomfortable reaction. If I get a little too much stooling, I just go to a little more calcium carbonate supplement and if overly constipated, add a little more magnesium supplement. I suppose if you are not sensitive to what it contains, and you hate to eat veggies and whole grains, it might be a viable alternative. I think flux said once that it was no more than a combination of fiber and what a calcium supplement contains, which is why it may work for both conditions.

·
Registered
605 Posts
I recently discovered Equalactin in the CVS nearby, and I immediately thought, "oh, gosh, here's something I haven't wasted my money on yet, I must try it." And, so I did. It is a form of calcium with alot of magnesium thrown in. And, let me tell you, I haven't had such bad D since I ate a bag of peanuts at the beach a few years ago. It has worked for a number of people, but I ain't one of them. If you search on the IBS board, you'll find many references to it. Good Luck!!

·
Registered
605 Posts
I recently discovered Equalactin in the CVS nearby, and I immediately thought, "oh, gosh, here's something I haven't wasted my money on yet, I must try it." And, so I did. It is a form of calcium with alot of magnesium thrown in. And, let me tell you, I haven't had such bad D since I ate a bag of peanuts at the beach a few years ago. It has worked for a number of people, but I ain't one of them. If you search on the IBS board, you'll find many references to it. Good Luck!!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.