Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner

eric or kmottus?

429 views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  Mike NoLomotil 
G
#1 ·
I was wondering how long it takes for the body to react to a trigger food? I studied human physiology for my BS, but somehow we managed to never cover the digestive tract. When I eat a trigger food I usually have significant D within a half hour. Is this possible or is it all in my mind?Thanks-CAS

#3 ·
It depends upon how one defines "trigger". In normal people, the colon "awakens" shortly after eating. In IBS, this response may be exaggerated, so the apparent trigger you see may not be related to food per se. Lactose intolerance operates through a different mechanism, so if your problem were that and you consume a lot of milk at once, the effect might start in a few hours. If the problem were a true food allergy, it generally happens soon after the food is absorbed which is usually within a few hours.------------------I am not a doctor, nor do I work for profit in the medical/pharmacological field, but I have read scientific and medical texts, and have access to numerous sources of medical information that are not readily available to others. One should always consult a medical professional regarding advice received.

#2 ·
It depends upon how one defines "trigger". In normal people, the colon "awakens" shortly after eating. In IBS, this response may be exaggerated, so the apparent trigger you see may not be related to food per se. Lactose intolerance operates through a different mechanism, so if your problem were that and you consume a lot of milk at once, the effect might start in a few hours. If the problem were a true food allergy, it generally happens soon after the food is absorbed which is usually within a few hours.------------------I am not a doctor, nor do I work for profit in the medical/pharmacological field, but I have read scientific and medical texts, and have access to numerous sources of medical information that are not readily available to others. One should always consult a medical professional regarding advice received.

#5 ·
Depends on the food and what is going on mechanistically.From minutes to 48 hours is usually the window of opportunity. Food allergies can be almost instantaneous to a few hours with symptoms, but that usually isn't diarrhea (more of the tingly lips, itchy palms thing).Some of what goes on is the colon over-responds to signals from the stomach and dumps and that may or may not be a particular food (although things like the fattiness of the meal or the amount of the meal may play a role in what signals get sent out). So it may or may not be Food X, but some other quality of Food X that caused the problem.There is a normal increase in colonic activity after eating. In some people this normal increase seems to be exageratted.K.------------------�When I despair, I remember that all through history the way of truth and love has always won. There have been tyrants and murderers and for a time they seem invincible but in the end, they always fall�Think of it, ALWAYS. �Mahatma GandhiMy story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html I do not work for anyone who sells any IBS related products.[This message has been edited by kmottus (edited 09-19-2001).]

#4 ·
Depends on the food and what is going on mechanistically.From minutes to 48 hours is usually the window of opportunity. Food allergies can be almost instantaneous to a few hours with symptoms, but that usually isn't diarrhea (more of the tingly lips, itchy palms thing).Some of what goes on is the colon over-responds to signals from the stomach and dumps and that may or may not be a particular food (although things like the fattiness of the meal or the amount of the meal may play a role in what signals get sent out). So it may or may not be Food X, but some other quality of Food X that caused the problem.There is a normal increase in colonic activity after eating. In some people this normal increase seems to be exageratted.K.------------------�When I despair, I remember that all through history the way of truth and love has always won. There have been tyrants and murderers and for a time they seem invincible but in the end, they always fall�Think of it, ALWAYS. �Mahatma GandhiMy story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html I do not work for anyone who sells any IBS related products.[This message has been edited by kmottus (edited 09-19-2001).]

#6 ·
Cas, your gut can go off fifteen minutes after you eat and it may not be the food you eat.I highly, highly recomend you read this in Medscape.Especially figure 4It will give you some major insight into IBS."the gastrocolic reflex, a partly neurogenic process, refers to an increase in colonic motilityinduced by feeding. Postprandial deviations from the normal motility patterns lead to alteredbowel habits. For example, a spastic colon (eg, diarrhea-predominant IBS [D-IBS]) ischaracterized by an exaggerated motility response to food intake. This exaggerated postprandialresponse also occurs in response to intraluminal distention or to an injection of cholecystokinin(CCK -- a hormone released in the duodenum) in patients with IBS." http://www.medscape.com/CMECircle/Gastroen.../toc-CME01.html ------------------Moderator of the Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, Anxiety and Hypnotherapy forum.I work with Mike building his websites. www.ibsaudioprogram and www.healthyaudio.com I also work with Mike in IBS clinical trials using Mikes tapes at an IBS research facility.My own website on IBS is www.ibshealth.com Please visit for accurate information on IBS.

#7 ·
Cas, your gut can go off fifteen minutes after you eat and it may not be the food you eat.I highly, highly recomend you read this in Medscape.Especially figure 4It will give you some major insight into IBS."the gastrocolic reflex, a partly neurogenic process, refers to an increase in colonic motilityinduced by feeding. Postprandial deviations from the normal motility patterns lead to alteredbowel habits. For example, a spastic colon (eg, diarrhea-predominant IBS [D-IBS]) ischaracterized by an exaggerated motility response to food intake. This exaggerated postprandialresponse also occurs in response to intraluminal distention or to an injection of cholecystokinin(CCK -- a hormone released in the duodenum) in patients with IBS." http://www.medscape.com/CMECircle/Gastroen.../toc-CME01.html ------------------Moderator of the Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, Anxiety and Hypnotherapy forum.I work with Mike building his websites. www.ibsaudioprogram and www.healthyaudio.com I also work with Mike in IBS clinical trials using Mikes tapes at an IBS research facility.My own website on IBS is www.ibshealth.com Please visit for accurate information on IBS.

#10 ·
...and it has been recently discovered by multiple investigators doing in vivo small bowel studies that the proinflammatory mediators which cause these exaggerated reflexes through various specific non-allergy mechanisms are present in the proximal small bowel and are produced in response to specific food provocation of the immune system in IBS patients without food allergy. Not just any old food, which now can be seen as simply an after the fact consequence of the original insult which produces the exaggerated GC and migratory motor responses. So now there is a mechanism quantified which is consistent with the experience of the patient and the results of prior in vitro analysis. Major step forward, sort of like when they first quantified alpha-1 antitrypsin deficieny in certain emphysema patients. Shot holes in some theories people were attached to, but there it was.
next step is to figure out why these weird reactions occur we have known we have but evreyone keep saying we don't. You have to look at all the findings of the gastro, neuro, immuno, endocrine dysfunctions in IBS not just the parts that appeal to one theory or another to get the full picture and keep moving forward.MNL_______________ www.leapallergy.com [This message has been edited by Mike NoLomotil (edited 09-20-2001).]

#11 ·
...and it has been recently discovered by multiple investigators doing in vivo small bowel studies that the proinflammatory mediators which cause these exaggerated reflexes through various specific non-allergy mechanisms are present in the proximal small bowel and are produced in response to specific food provocation of the immune system in IBS patients without food allergy. Not just any old food, which now can be seen as simply an after the fact consequence of the original insult which produces the exaggerated GC and migratory motor responses. So now there is a mechanism quantified which is consistent with the experience of the patient and the results of prior in vitro analysis. Major step forward, sort of like when they first quantified alpha-1 antitrypsin deficieny in certain emphysema patients. Shot holes in some theories people were attached to, but there it was.
next step is to figure out why these weird reactions occur we have known we have but evreyone keep saying we don't. You have to look at all the findings of the gastro, neuro, immuno, endocrine dysfunctions in IBS not just the parts that appeal to one theory or another to get the full picture and keep moving forward.MNL_______________ www.leapallergy.com [This message has been edited by Mike NoLomotil (edited 09-20-2001).]

#15 ·
Julia:Admittedly it is a learned behavior not a natural behavior. At my advanced age and after many many years at the bedside with all manner of practitioners, and in research with all manner of investigators as a credentialled gofer, I learned one of the great truths of healthcare: Where Nothing Is Certain, Everything is Possible. So if you act like something is certain which has not been quantified you are a fool. And thats OK if its only Your life that will be affected by that behavior. But when you are asked to advise or counsel or examine or treat, and you accept, it does not matter what you are or who you are. You have the obligation to that person, morally and ethically, to force yourself into remembering that truth, and acting accordingly. I also learned alot of people in and around healthcare don't necessairly feel that way....they only give it lip-service. But we are not supposed to TALK ABOUT THAT, like its a dirty trade-secret. Nver bought into that and it always caused friction in my younger days when I was less, uh, subtle about it. Its one thing to slip once in a while, but another to make a habit of not remembering that truth, and that the first responsibility of any caregiver is "PRIMUM NON NOCERE": First Do No Harm. So when you guide someone, knowingly not accounting for as wide an array of possibilities as can be ascertained, you are violating that "Prime Directive" (Oh, thats Star Trek not Hippocrates. Sorry)Eat well. Think well. Be well.MNL________________ www.leapallergy.com

#14 ·
Julia:Admittedly it is a learned behavior not a natural behavior. At my advanced age and after many many years at the bedside with all manner of practitioners, and in research with all manner of investigators as a credentialled gofer, I learned one of the great truths of healthcare: Where Nothing Is Certain, Everything is Possible. So if you act like something is certain which has not been quantified you are a fool. And thats OK if its only Your life that will be affected by that behavior. But when you are asked to advise or counsel or examine or treat, and you accept, it does not matter what you are or who you are. You have the obligation to that person, morally and ethically, to force yourself into remembering that truth, and acting accordingly. I also learned alot of people in and around healthcare don't necessairly feel that way....they only give it lip-service. But we are not supposed to TALK ABOUT THAT, like its a dirty trade-secret. Nver bought into that and it always caused friction in my younger days when I was less, uh, subtle about it. Its one thing to slip once in a while, but another to make a habit of not remembering that truth, and that the first responsibility of any caregiver is "PRIMUM NON NOCERE": First Do No Harm. So when you guide someone, knowingly not accounting for as wide an array of possibilities as can be ascertained, you are violating that "Prime Directive" (Oh, thats Star Trek not Hippocrates. Sorry)Eat well. Think well. Be well.MNL________________ www.leapallergy.com

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.