Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was recently put on two new meds for Rheumatoid Arthritis. One is called Misoprostol Tabs and the other is Diclofenac Sodium.Since I've been using it, I've had normal bowel movements around the same time each morning. I've researched the meds and know one of them is to protect the lining of the stomach for ulcers, but have no clue why all of a sudden the normal stools. Any ideas?
BTW..HI!

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
quote:One is called Misoprostol Tabs
This drug is sometimes used to treat constipation.

·
Registered
9,141 Posts
Misoprostol:http://www.gicare.com/pated/misoprostol.htmhttp://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.f...0&dopt=AbstractMisoprostol in the treatment of chronic refractory constipation: results of a long-term open label trial.Roarty TP, Weber F, Soykan I, McCallum RW.Division of Gastroenterology, University of Virginia Health Sciences Center, Charlottesville, USA.BACKGROUND: Misoprostol is known to be effective in stimulating intestinal transit both in healthy individuals and in patients with chronic constipation when evaluated in short-term trials. The aim of this study was to determine the utility of misoprostol in the long-term management of patients with chronic refractory constipation. METHODS: Eighteen patients were offered misoprostol (600-2400 microg/day) as adjunctive therapy in an open-ended, non-blinded trial. All patients were encouraged to continue the drug for a minimum of 4 weeks, after which time the effect on bowel movement patterns was evaluated and continued use of misoprostol was offered to those patients who demonstrated a clinical benefit. RESULTS: Six patients withdrew prior to 4 weeks because of side-effects. In the 12 patients who continued the treatment and were evaluated at 4 weeks, the mean interval between bowel movement frequency had decreased from a baseline of 11.25 to 4.8 days (P = 0.0004). Eight patients continued the long-term treatment, with sustained response seen in six. In a subset of patients (n = 4) the effect of single-dose misoprostol (400 microg) was evaluated compared to healthy controls (n = 5) on post-prandial segmental colonic motility. Misoprostol augmented the colonic motility response to a meal throughout the colon, and this was significantly greater in the left versus right colonic segments (P < 0.05). CONCLUSIONS: Misoprostol can be effective as part of the long-term medical treatment of patients with chronic refractory constipation, but side-effects are observed at higher doses and can be a limiting factor. Part of misoprostol's action may be mediated through the augmentation of colonic motility, particularly of the left colon

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
Hi Rowe, hope your doing okay and sounds like the bowel movements are going okay.
I hope everything else is as well for you.
also"Cytotec, Misoprostol, Cytotec, a synthetic prostaglandin (hormone-like substance), reduces the production of stomach acid and protects the stomach lining.""There is information out there on "prostaglandin (hormone-like substance), and IBS.

·
Registered
9,141 Posts
quote:This drug is sometimes used to treat constipation.
What mean sometimes?
Why it is'nt used more often?

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
quote:Why it is'nt used more often?
Because most doctors don't bother to go to the conferences.

·
Registered
9,141 Posts
Thanks for the tips,i will ask my breath test doc about Cytotec monday.

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
FYI Rowe"Researchers think that this increase in symptoms has a connection to hormones. The amount of diarrhea experienced by women with both IBD and IBS increases during the days before and during their period. There are two compounds that are being considered for causing this effect - prostaglandins and progesterone.There are several different types of prostaglandins that have different functions in the body. "The rest is here.http://ibscrohns.about.com/cs/relatedcondi...a/ibsibdpms.htmSo it could be helping in that way perhaps.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys! I'm fine, Eric. I'm taking a personal leave of absence from work, so I'm really enjoying doing some serious bird watching and relaxing. The other medicine I mentioned has helped with the swelling of my fingers and feet due to the RA.I just hope a good thing will last for a change!

·
Registered
9,141 Posts
Rowe,i have a prescription for Cytotec.The same drug as Misoprostol.What dosage do you take?

·
Registered
9,141 Posts
Do you take it with food?thanks

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My boat went to fast!
I take 200 MCG three times a day. Yep, the Misoprostol is generic thanks to my insurance company!
I really hope you get the same results I have gotten! I had a very bad bout of D this morning though, BUT..I ate a salad at 9:00 P.M. Is that asking for it or what!!??BTW..YES! Take it with food always. Also, I take the Diciofenac Sodium with it. Did the doctor tell you about that?

·
Registered
9,141 Posts
quote: I take the Diciofenac Sodium with it. Did the doctor tell you about that?
No.

·
Registered
9,141 Posts
quote:Did the doctor tell you about that?
What's the deal with the other drug Rowe?

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It is for arthritis pain. The other med you got was to protect the stomach lining from being damaged by the Voltaren (Diclofenac sodium)Have you tried the new med yet? Do you have any history of ulcers or anything to do with the stomach?

·
Registered
9,141 Posts
The Misoprostol is only to evoid being C.Why would i need others meds?Yes my stomack is sensitive.

·
Registered
9,141 Posts
http://health.yahoo.com/drug/d00303a1
quote:What should I discuss with my healthcare provider before taking misoprostol? Before taking misoprostol, tell your doctor if you have inflammatory bowel disease, irritable bowel syndrome, or other intestinal problems. You may need a dosage adjustment or special monitoring during treatment with misoprostol.
I tought it was to protect the lining of the stomack.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.