Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Banned
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi The best workshop for me was Hypnotherapy and Psychologic Treatment for Functional Bowel Disorders. Dr Lesley A Houghton Department of Medicine and Gastroenterology talked to me before the workshop about the lack of Hypnotherapy studies on men with ibs. She gave me her e-mail address and said she would talk to four Doctors at her Clinic in the UK about my problem and see what they have to say. They talked about women having a hard time dealing with Doctors who think ibs is just in a women's head. Then I told them try being a man with a women's problem. They also said it hard to do studies on ibs because of the placebo rate being so high. That is why Caltrate works because they think it will work so it does. I talked to a woman that goes to your ibs group in Portland she said she would fill you in on the workshop. TimTim

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
Tim, the woman might have been Jerri Pawson? She is the coordinator of the research group.I wish I could have been there,its different from the web in so many ways to be talking to people studying IBS.On a side note, I have seen some possible clues as to why the calcium might be working on symptoms other then a binder or placebo. However, there is a high placebo rate, but if you feel better what does it matter really. But the calcium might be doing more than I thought before really.Thanks Tim, if you can send me an email that would be great.When you see and here the research doctors talk about these treatments and why they work on IBS it makes a lot of sense. Its still confusing for the patients why it works and on what level, but I believe doctors and patients are learning and seeing the effectiveness of the treatments and the word is getting out that these treatments can and do work.------------------I work with Mike and the IBS Audio Program. www.ibshealth.com www.ibsaudioprogram.com

1 - 2 of 2 Posts