Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Eric, Do you have IBS under control? If so, what fixed you up? CBT? Do you take any meds at this time? Thanks, Brett

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
Brett about five years ago I came here when there was around 800 members, to learn about my IBS, find support and information and because I was really desperate and even suicidal. The pain IBS was causing me was extreme and I can't really convey in words how extreme the pain was and I had alternating d and c but leaned more to d. I also had other gobal IBS symptoms and non GI symptoms.One person on here talked me into trying "mike's tapes" which are gut specific hypnotherapy for IBS. That was the best thing I have ever done in my life for my IBS. Before that I had taken ton's of different meds and otc's and diet changes and you name it. So I read up on HT research for IBS and it sounded and looked good to me, so I went for it.I went from severe IBS to mild IBS and many symptoms did and have disappered for me. It has been five years since I did them, but I still practice the methods on my own now, as I have self taught myself HT as well. It is like taking a link out of the vicious cycle for me and greatly helped a huge part of the pain for me. I wrote this about four years ago.Ponderings of an IBSerhttp://ibsgroup.org/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/51510173/m/67910046Kathleen, on the other hand used cbt. CBT deals more with concious thoughts and reactions and HT subconcious thoughts and reactions. At the subconcious level is where digestion takes place, you don't have to physically think about digetion, it happens autonomically.I don't take meds anymore on a regular basis. I have taken one occasionally over the years here and there. I take altoids sometimes for the antispasmatic properties.I am a chef also, but pretty much eat whatever I want for the most part, minus soda and a couple other things I know really bother me. I learned for myself a long time ago foods could be triggers, but were not the problem for me and the act of eating was extremely important to me and to IBS.So I am doing about 80 percent better then I was five years ago and it has not gone back to its olds ways. I believe the HT made some changes both physically and mentally for me.I use it now as a tool for IBS, but also for life in general now as stress reduction, focus, extra energy, spiritually, fun and pain in general, like back pain or knee pain or general aches and pains as I get older. The d and c has gotten better and normalized more, incomplete evacuation sensations got better, back pain and general body muscle tension got better and a lot more. I have seen certain people's IBS go away even. But this is not a "cure" but a excellent tool and method of treatment, which is also very safe and generally enjoyable for most people. I also want to add this is Not Stage hypnosis, but clinical medical hypnosis targeted at IBS and that is really important.Hope that helps if you have any questions let me know.

·
Registered
557 Posts
mentioning trigger foods, well ive had intolerance tests abd they came back fine, but i know if i have say milk/chesse or wheat stuff that it makes my IBS symptoms worse, now if a test for intolerance says your fine but the foods still bother you, technically does that mean at some stage you would be able to eat those foods and have no problems but just have to sort out the actual reason behind why your stomach isnt accepting them, i mean like controlling your IBS more so that even if i ate these trigger foods i wouldnt actually have a problem because im not actually intolerate of the foods themselves but something else causing them to bother me....does that kind of make sense? because im confused as to why i cant eat them but my test was okay?

·
Registered
4,570 Posts
Hi Brett and Sophie22,I wanted to mention that Eric was the one who encouraged me to try Mike's CDs after over 20 years of severe housebound IBS and anxiety.Like you, Brett, I had some other issues going on, and the program worked FIRST on my other issues, before addressing the IBS - mainly my anxiety, my divorce and other surgeries I went through. It is an incredible difference to feel IBS twinges, and then in a few seconds, they usually dissapate. I am able to off-set attacks that once would lay me up for hours.Sophie - I had specific trigger foods that always would lead to IBS, and I had others that sometimes did and othertimes did not- to the point where I excluded everything but crackers and water - and still had severe D! I asked the doc to put in an IV for nurtrition - and over a weekend in the hospital - he did that as well as put me on antispasmodics, and I still had the IBS - after Mike's CDs, I can pretty much now eat anything I want - popcorn, and nuts were my worst, and I have nuts daily - I can even eat chocolates as well.I might also add, if you haven't read my story link, that I had been on several SSRI's and meds, diets, etc. and even a trip to Mayo and nothing relieved my IBS like the hypno did - so I was pretty skeptical by the time it was suggested to me.Feel free to email me if you want - I wish you both well on your journey to feeling better.

·
Registered
557 Posts
aw thanks marilyn im so gunna get those tapes, its just been a toss up this week of paying for my hair done for new years or getting the tapes i guess i could treat myself and get both

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
Brett, your welcome.Sophie22, The relationship of foods to IBS is a complex issue. Foods don't cause IBS. There are underlying problems to IBS, but foods can act as triggers for a variety of reasons, both chemically and mechanically and even psychologically.There can certainly be foods you don't tolerate well and even some you might not want to eat. There may also be foods you can eat again and there can be times you eat a food it doesn't bother you and the next time it does bother you. I will post some info on all this on this thread for you. Some of the info is understanding how the body works in general as well."Fats can also contribute to IBS symptoms. Fat in any form (animal or vegetable) is a strong stimulant of colonic contractions after a meal. Many foods contain fat, especially meats, poultry skin, dairy products, vegetable oil, and margarine and shortening."Wheat and carbs are precursors to trytophan, which then turns into serotonin. I will explain some more, but also need to dig up some more info.also if your "stressed or believe" a food might cause symptoms, sometimes its that and not the foods as well or sometimes its both reasons.I will post more on all this.

·
Registered
557 Posts
thanks eric its all really helpful, i find it so confusing the way its like hit and miss as to when some things make you worse and sometimes its just like you get away with iti dont have dairy but i reckon sometimes i can get away with wheat, is seratonin a good thing> ive definatly heard of it on here somewhere but cant remember if it was in a good or bad light

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
I will explain some more, but first a little about how the colon works.The colon a muscle when distended mechanically say by foods, works by releasing serotonin from specialize cells in the gut called enterochromaffin cells which release serotonin which then intiates gut contractions."The enteric and central nervous systems use the same hardware, as it were, to run two very different programs. Serotonin, for instance, is crucial to feelings of well-being. Hence the success of the antidepressants known as S.S.R.I.'s that raise the level of serotonin available to the brain. But 95 percent of the body's serotonin is housed in the gut, where it acts as a neurotransmitter and a signaling mechanism. The digestive process begins when a specialized cell, an enterochromaffin, squirts serotonin into the wall of the gut, which has at least seven types of serotonin receptors. The receptors, in turn, communicate with nerve cells to start digestive enzymes flowing or to start things moving through the intestines. Serotonin also acts as a go-between, keeping the brain in the skull up to date with what is happening in the brain below. Such communication is mostly one way, with 90 percent traveling from the gut to the head.Many of those messages are unpleasant, and serotonin is involved in sending them. Chemotherapy drugs like doxorubicin, which is used to treat breast cancer, cause serotonin to be released in the gut, leading to nausea and vomiting. "The gut is not an organ from which you wish to receive frequent progress reports," Dr. Gershon said.Serotonin is also implicated in one of the most debilitating gut disorders, irritable bowel syndrome, or I.B.S., which causes abdominal pain and cramping, bloating and, in some patients, alternating diarrhea and constipation. "You can run any test you want on people with I.B.S., and their GI tracts look essentially normal," Dr. Mawe said. The default assumption has been that the syndrome is a psychosomatic disease. But it turns out that irritable bowel syndrome, like depression, is at least in part a function of changes in the serotonin system. In this case, it is too much serotonin rather than too little.In a healthy person, after serotonin is released into the gut and initiates an intestinal reflex, it is whisked out of the bowel by a molecule known as the serotonin transporter, or SERT, found in the cells that line the gut wall.People with irritable bowel syndrome do not have enough SERT, so they wind up with too much serotonin floating around, causing diarrhea. The excess serotonin then overwhelms the receptors in the gut, shutting them down and causing constipation."http://ibsgroup.org/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/71210261/m/369100861I will tie this into foods more. But when you eat serotonin is released that starts contractions. That happens in all people. IN IBS something is wrong with that mechanism.

·
Registered
23,983 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Just wanted to thank you Eric for all your info. I have learned more from you on this one thread than I have in some books I have bought about IBS.Thanks for all you do for us!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts