Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know if I'm doing a no no or not. I'm IBS C type. What I've been doing, is when I don't go for a couple or few days, I drink a huge glass of skim milk, right before I go to sleep. And I go the next day, a mixture of D and C. Then my normal C type is normal C, but I do go, and have to strain. Is this good or bad. Yes I know, eat fiber, eric, I don't think I can get anymore fiber to go down. Had to stop a little while back, just couldn't swallow anymore bran. Now, another question...could this turn my C to D in the near future, or up the road a bit? Is this a no no?? or is it a "whatever works for one??" Now, as I think of what I am doing, I am getting a little scared. Do I need to worry, am I doing good or bad to my system. It's not like the milk is a trigger, so it seems, but it is, isn't it?I'm so confused about this now. Thanx for reading,Jadair

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
jadir, this falls under"whatever works for one"Drinking some milk is okay. If it were to bother you you might not want to, but if you don't have lacctose intolernce as a trigger to IBS I believe your fine with this and it may help you sleep.
Straininng however is not so good. It may be better to get up off the toilet and not spend to much time on it per sitting, but if you get up and move around for a little bit it may help you to go again and more completely.There may also be the feeling of incomplete evactuation which is a sensation to do the nerves signaling the brain which causes the feeling.IBS can alternated between c and d and what your saying here sounds a little more on the d side and c and d side and not so much constipation where you don't go for days at a time. A person does not have to go everyday really and bowel patterns are differrent for different people.Some people do switch however for short periods or sometimes for long periods and it has to do more with chemicals in the body that are helping to cause it in the first place. Milk would not be the culprit really. Milk maybe slightly consitpating somewhat however.Hope this helps somewhat but nothing you said here should scare you really. I sometimes will have some milk before bed and like I said it can help you sleep some, maynot be the greatest idea in the world but not super harmful either.You may try to not do it for while and see what effect it has and also it may help to switch to a different fiber sometimes and see what happens there also. On fiber Heather knows quite a bit in her book, it can be okay for some and not so helpful in others even though its important for general health also.

G

·
Hi Jadair,I am both IBS D & C. Sometimes I'll have the D for days.... then I won't go for maybe 3-4 days. Other times I will have C for days..... then all of sudden it'll turn into D again.I think the hallmark of IBS is that it is so unpredictable.During the time frames when I have D, I avoid the non-water-soluable fiber such as that in grains, but I still eat some fruit fiber.... especially apples (peeled).When C is the culprit.... I eat more other kinds of fruit such as pears, I reintroduce grains such as Cheerios (but not bran flakes) and I introduce red licorice for a few days (it contains sorbitol which gives me a bit more gas which I eliminate fairly easily... and it also makes me go)I find that hormonal shifts tend to be responsible for the disparity in regularity.(Kmottus... if you are reading this thread... can you give Jadair any suggestions?)Hope this helps, Evie

1 - 3 of 3 Posts