Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Eric, This is probably a stupid question but one that has been bugging me lately...I know you'll have the answer. If IBS is a mind gut disorder, which I believe it is, where does post infectious IBS fit in to the mind/gut connection of things? It would seem if you have a bug or ate something bad, after the bug runs it's course things would get back to normal. How would eating something bad cause the brain and gut to stop communicating normally long term? It makes me wonder if post infectious IBS is really IBS at all, but rather damage done to the GI system that Doctor's have not found an answer to yet. Whaddayathink? I'm not having any problems IBS wise, just trying to gain a better understanding. BTW thanks for those links to the music groups.Happy Easter!Brett

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
There have been studies that show that inflammation in the gut wall (chemically induced in rats, but inflammation is inflammation) causes damage to the nerves in the gut wall.That is the mechanism the propose for both PI-IBS and for the reason some people with Inflammatory Bowel Disease get IBS symptoms when the IBD is in complete remission.FWIW being able to heal the IBS with CBT for me seemed very much like when my CNS recovered control of a nerve I cut in my finger when it regrew. For a few days it was sending serious pain signals over every little touch. Eventually it got the feedback it needed to calm down and only go off when it was supposed to. The finger is simpler and the brain could do it automatically. It needed help with the much more complex Enteric Nervous System.K.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.