Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone taken Erythromycin 3 times per day for motility?I am concerened about this because it will alter gut motility. I am supposed to take 500mg (liquid form for better absorption)Please help - I'm not sure if this may worsen the situation in the long term due to the flora/bacteria in the intestines.My doctor didnt/couldnt address my concern.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
2btrue.I'm not sure in your situation you really need to worry about the bacteria in the intestines. Didn't you have most of your colon removed?Pretty much all the bacteria are supposed to be in the colon, none in the small intestine. So I'm not sure in your situation you need to worry as much about your flora as that is mostly a colon issue.Usually the problem is you get too many bacteria in the small intestine and they screw that up.In your case I think the moving things out so you don't get overgrowth in the small intestine you do have may be more important than the short part of colon you may have.K.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank K,You're right - I have had my colon removed (the entire colon) however I thought small bowel bacterial overgrowth was a big thing but I may have misunderstood some postings I read. I think it was referred to as SBO.You're right about gettting things moving so one doesnt get overgrowth however wouldnt antibiotics encourage overgrowth as it destroys both good and bad bacteria??Does not having a colon mean that no good bacteria is necessary in the small intestines?Thanks again for your feedback

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
If things are moving properly there are generally a very low level of bacteria in the small intestine and only at the end.My sense is motility more than antibiotics are the problem with SIBO. There are a few specific bacteria that can take over when you are on antibiotics and cause overgrowth in the colon (like C. dif, fwiw erythromycin tends to be in the less likely to cause this group than many other antibiotics) but how much of a concern that is when you don't have much of a colon I do not know. If you have an internal pouch/ or a resection (rather than having a pouch) there is a short area where those bacteria might find a home, but not like when you have several feet of colon.Probitoics to keep the bacteria you would have as friendly as possible probably wouldn't hurt, but not if you are so motility challanged that you get too many bacteria total in the small intestine. I mean there are usualy some bacteria in the last part of the small intestine, but usually many times fewer than what you see in the colon.Colon bacterial overgrowth is more of an antibiotics wiped normal bacteria out and abnormal things started growing. Small Itnestinal overgrowth is more a matter of things are moving along and it is not getting flushed out regularly, so something like the erythomycin to keep things moving along may be more of a good thing than a bad thing.Should you get symptoms of C. diff, like bloody diarrhea, then you would need to be checked, but if overly constipated is the problem and your motility is that bad I would probably if it were me be more concerned about not keeping things moving.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks K,That makes a lot of sense. I'm going to "take the plunge" and take it today.I only have 15cms of my colon left so I wouldnt think the bacterial thing would be such a big issue.I hope it doesnt weaken my immune system though but I have to deal with one thing at a time for now. It would be interesting to see how it would effect the pain issue and pain having bowel movements. I'm scared but I have to try something different.Thanks again

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks so much for your support, I really appreciate it.I tried the Erythromycin yesterday - took a slightly lower dose 3x - It didnt help at all and kind of made me feel weak and shaky. I threw it down the drain.Oh well ....

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.