Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My doctor wants to do this test on me but I would like some input before I give them the go ahead.Is is painful? Does it take long? What should I expect?What was your experience?Thanks

·
Registered
23,983 Posts

·
Registered
23,983 Posts

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am taking Protonix right now to try and stop the reflux pain but she wants to dig further because nothing seems to work for me. I just have pain and no acid in my throat, no burning sensation either--just pain like I am having a heart attack or something only we know it's not my heart. I'm really scared to have this done because I have a very sensitive gag reflex and I can't eat or drink for 8 hours prior to the procedure which is bad because if I have one of the attacks, I have to drink water or pepto bismol to get it to stop.Thanks for your link Eric

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am taking Protonix right now to try and stop the reflux pain but she wants to dig further because nothing seems to work for me. I just have pain and no acid in my throat, no burning sensation either--just pain like I am having a heart attack or something only we know it's not my heart. I'm really scared to have this done because I have a very sensitive gag reflex and I can't eat or drink for 8 hours prior to the procedure which is bad because if I have one of the attacks, I have to drink water or pepto bismol to get it to stop.Thanks for your link Eric

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
It depends a bit on which method is used. The older method involved clunky tubes perfused with water. The newer method uses wires which are not as uncomfortable.

·
Registered
10,398 Posts
It depends a bit on which method is used. The older method involved clunky tubes perfused with water. The newer method uses wires which are not as uncomfortable.

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
Jleigh, I think they squirt a mild analgesic in your throat, it maaybe worse mentally then physically really, it helps more to be relaxed when they do it.It sounds like dyspepsia or Dysphagia.Read this it also has Functional Chest Pain. http://www.med.unc.edu/medicine/fgidc/esophagus.htm

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
Jleigh, I think they squirt a mild analgesic in your throat, it maaybe worse mentally then physically really, it helps more to be relaxed when they do it.It sounds like dyspepsia or Dysphagia.Read this it also has Functional Chest Pain. http://www.med.unc.edu/medicine/fgidc/esophagus.htm

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Functional Chest Pain sounds alot like it.I had never had this pain until the day I had my gall bladder taken out. That was in 1996 or 97 and I've had it ever since. It usually happens at night and wakes me up but has been known to happen in the daytime to for no apparent reason.I wonder what they can do for it if it is say--functional chest pain?

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Functional Chest Pain sounds alot like it.I had never had this pain until the day I had my gall bladder taken out. That was in 1996 or 97 and I've had it ever since. It usually happens at night and wakes me up but has been known to happen in the daytime to for no apparent reason.I wonder what they can do for it if it is say--functional chest pain?

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Oh, thank you Eric.All of your links are so helpful. I think it really could be Functional Chest Pain.I still have not heard from anyone who has actually had the procedure though, to see what their experience was.Anybody? Please....

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Oh, thank you Eric.All of your links are so helpful. I think it really could be Functional Chest Pain.I still have not heard from anyone who has actually had the procedure though, to see what their experience was.Anybody? Please....

·
Registered
203 Posts
I have had this test done 3 times. The unpleasant part for me (and everyone according to the tech) is getting past the gag reflex as the tube hits the throat. Once that is done, and you relax, it is a breeze. The tech will measure the pressure at the Lower esophagal sphincter and then withdraw the tube in 5 cm increments and have you swallow a bit of water he gives you. It measures abnormal esophagal motility disorders (achalasia, Barrets, nutcracker esophagus, and diffuse esophagal spasm. It takes about 30 minutes. Both of the techs I had do my tests says that about 1 in 10 people can not get the tube down due to gagging, and therefore not do the test (I hope that isn't you. Diffuse esophagal spasm and a hypertensive LES can give strong non-cardiac chest pain. If the pain comes from the esophagus, it is fairly easily treated once the source is known.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I have had this test done 3 times. The unpleasant part for me (and everyone according to the tech) is getting past the gag reflex as the tube hits the throat. Once that is done, and you relax, it is a breeze. The tech will measure the pressure at the Lower esophagal sphincter and then withdraw the tube in 5 cm increments and have you swallow a bit of water he gives you. It measures abnormal esophagal motility disorders (achalasia, Barrets, nutcracker esophagus, and diffuse esophagal spasm. It takes about 30 minutes. Both of the techs I had do my tests says that about 1 in 10 people can not get the tube down due to gagging, and therefore not do the test (I hope that isn't you. Diffuse esophagal spasm and a hypertensive LES can give strong non-cardiac chest pain. If the pain comes from the esophagus, it is fairly easily treated once the source is known.

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
Bump for J,go for it J, the thinking about the test is worse then the test. It really isn't that bad.They did this to me while I was having a really severe pain attack a long time ago. Actually I became so focused on the test the pain started to subside.Its an easy one though really and may help you get to the bottom of this for you.Stay as relaxed as possibble when they do it.

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
Bump for J,go for it J, the thinking about the test is worse then the test. It really isn't that bad.They did this to me while I was having a really severe pain attack a long time ago. Actually I became so focused on the test the pain started to subside.Its an easy one though really and may help you get to the bottom of this for you.Stay as relaxed as possibble when they do it.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks Bunged and Eric.I am going to have the test after the holidays.I am really stressed about it but maybe once I get used to the idea, the stress will subside somewhat. I have to find out what this pain is because it hurts so bad that I don't think I can live with it forever without finding out the source. I am taking Protonix right now to see if it helps and so far-after 1 1/2 weeks, it has not helped any. I have taken Aciphex, Prilosec, Prevacid, Zantac, Tagament, Nexium and now Protonix. Makes you wonder if it really is even acid reflux doesn't it?Thanks again for all your info and help.JLeigh

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.