Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,Just wondered if anyone else has had esophageal spasms? I have had chest and back pain for three days. So I went off to the urgent care clinic yesterday...my heart is fine, thank God. But the pain I get is in my chest and back. It feels like really sore muscles and tons of loud belching. No sweating, no radiating pain down arms or neck. I was given a cocktail of Maalox and Lidocaine. That helped considerably. I feel wierd going to the hospital every time this occurs. It has happened three times this year! I waited three days this time, before going in.... but I wonder how you can tell the difference between heart pain and esophageal pain? I am getting a bit tired and embarrassed going in every time this happens. Also, how might I prevent these spasms from occuring? I am taking Nexium for acid reflux already. If anyone has any ideas, I would be interested. Thanks

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
Unfortunately there isn't a good way to know esophagus pain from heart pain. However I think if you get it often enough to know the pattern, or know what calms it down you can for the most part trust when it behaves the exact same it is likely to be the same pain you had before.If you notice any other new symptoms with it, especially any on the list of heart attack symptoms or you are unusually fatigued or your heart rate or blood pressure is way off from usual then you would need to get checked.While they are not a part of IBS, they tend to be an upper GI functional problems and when one part of the GI tract is prone to functional problems/pain it seems more common for other parts to also have a tendency to the same kinds of things.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Unfortunately there isn't a good way to know esophagus pain from heart pain. However I think if you get it often enough to know the pattern, or know what calms it down you can for the most part trust when it behaves the exact same it is likely to be the same pain you had before.If you notice any other new symptoms with it, especially any on the list of heart attack symptoms or you are unusually fatigued or your heart rate or blood pressure is way off from usual then you would need to get checked.While they are not a part of IBS, they tend to be an upper GI functional problems and when one part of the GI tract is prone to functional problems/pain it seems more common for other parts to also have a tendency to the same kinds of things.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.