Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just did and it's pretty interesting, although my doctor makes me out to be something of a head case!
She kept noting that I "appeared depressed but won't admit it". I don't know whether to laugh or cry! Let's see, I go into my doc's office after being, say, D, for several days, waking up every morning completely nauseated and weak and tired, and totally frustrated after literally years of trying to cope, and she thinks I'm a little depressed.
YA THINK? I think she is mixing up my frustration and anger with depression. No WONDER she kept trying to put me on Zoloft! ugh! She also noted twice that she didn't think I was following the "recommended regiment for IBS". Her regiment? Citrucel twice a day, stay away from dairy foods. That's it. That's the regiment. DUH!!!!!!! AS IF!
I'm a little upset because I always liked my doctor and she never came out and told me that she thought I wasn't doing my part. IF she had, I would have let her know in no uncertain terms that I have done everything,
and I mean EVERYTHING
, she and my GI doc have told me to do and when it DOESN'T WORK, it's MY fault? As if I haven't spent the last 5 years of my life going to varoius outside sources and nutritional-type persons to point me in the right direction as far as mental outlook and diet and researching every crumb about IBS I can find in magazines and the internet???
AAARGH! It's like these doctors have absolutely NO clue. To read my medical records, it seriously sounds like I cannot handle going to the bathroom! You know, if you don't know me you would not guess that I even have this problem, I cope on my own, and I, like most of us, do NOT try to "cheat" my way through IBS by sitting by and doing nothing. HAD I kept on listening to my two lovely doctors I would still be writhing in agony every morning, afraid to go out anywhere, ever! Thanks to you guys, my own research, and even my Mom's own research, I have been able to live an almost normal life for the last 3 or 4 years (the first 2 1/2 with ibs were pure hell!). And I haven't been doing MY part???? UUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!Sorry, I don't normally get so animated, but gee whiz, what the heck else am I supposed to do? Tell me, am I or am I not entitled to get a little upset when I get a severe bout of IBS out of the blue even though I've done everything right? Or should daily nausea and reflux and intestinal pain just be ignored and accepted and embraced as just a part of who I am? I'm sorry-- I don't mean to vent. I know I don't have this IBS nearly as bad as a lot of you anymore (like I used to, I mean), but it still gets to me sometimes, and now I feel like I'm not entitled to the frustration because according to the doc's notes, "it's just IBS".

G

·
You know that reminded me of my experience at an allergist appointment a few weeks ago. It was my first appointment, and he was going through all the questions... He asked if I had any heartburn that I would consider out of the normal. I answered NO, but I do have IBS. I was hoping to get onto some food allergy discussion, but then he said, "Do you eat a lot of dairy?" I said, "No, I try to stay away from it." And he said (in a very all-knowing like voice), "Well, IBS is mainly just lactose intolerence." I immediately dropped it. I realize an allergist is not a GI doc, but come on! I almost said, "I got news for you, it is SOOOO much more than that!!"I guess I should be happy he didn't try to tell me it was all in my head!

G

·
WD40 - If they had a couple of months of it they would soon understand - but what are the chances of meeting a doc with IBS ??Because they can't cure or identify the cause I belive that they get fustrated and blame the sufferer for not coping or trying !I have had my share of 'come on its not that bad'I even had one DR tell me that this was really a 'WOMENS' thing and not to be so dramatic - I saw him again - NOT !I am very lucky - I have a great Dr and he belives that support and reassurance from a doctor is important for IBS - and he provided both - he has never given me that look of despair !So yes you have the right to be angry - and if your not happy then try finding a good Dr - they are out there !

·
Registered
360 Posts
It's funny you mention it,We got Tracy's medical records when she switched doctors and all those little observations she put in there made Tracy sound like a big cry baby. HELLO she had ENDOMETRIOSIS, that's painful honey! This doctor wrote about her using words like "complaining" and "weepy" and "weakness" and "emotional". She phrased it as if the entire thing was in Tracy's head! It's no wonder we switched doctors.Wes------------------Only those who risk going too far, will ever know how far they can go.

G

·
A few years ago, I got a copy of my medical record from my GP to take to my first GI appointment. In the file my doctor had written that I was a "demanding" patient but the questions I asked were "appropriate". "Demanding?" Well, I guess that was because I didn't like getting the brush off and kept insisting he answer my questions. "Appropriate?" I guess that means I stayed on the subject.I was a little miffed. He sort of described me as a b**** ... but in a 'professional' way, of course. (LOL) I must admit, when I go to the doctor, I am not 'little miss prissy patient'. I want answers!!!

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
I can only imagine what one or two (former) doctors must have written about me! Isn't it insulting that some medical doctors who we see for our physical health feel so "confident" in their abilities that they choose to judge us emotionally/mentally? I guess they need to write some personal notes for themselves as reminders. But I imagine we'd rather that they spend the same amount of time and focus reading up on IBS and ways to treat it, maybe also nutrition. We don't need to be told we're unhappy or whatever other trait the doctor wants to affix to us.
WD40 -- If I were you, I'd be half tempted to write the doctor a letter (not scathing, just educational!).[This message has been edited by HipJan (edited 05-12-2000).]

·
Registered
23,983 Posts
It is funny you wrote this because I was just thinking about it the other day and am asking for mine on Monday. probably the library of congress will show up.LOLWD, from your post I guess I know what to expect,especially since my old GI told me it was in my head, of course then they thought it might be and now I know more how much that plays into it,but it will be interesting reading.
Thanks for posting this it reminded me. Also WD its good you got yours and read it to know.

G

·
WD40 You are right, doctors don't have a clue. They are supposed to be healers, but they make little comments, or as in our case, they make notes that couldn't be more detrimental to our confidence in them. Their attitudes are 180 degrees out of sync with common sense. Yet, they show no hesitation in passing us to their colleagues for more testing, knowing there is nothing they can do or are willing to do. As soon as the money runs out we become a burden on them or they tell us we are making ourselves sick, or are not trying hard enough to get well.It's nothing more than a scam and the government lets them get away with it because we are too weak and frustrated to hold them accountable. I wonder if there is a connection to IBS and stress? DUH. Doctors are nothing more than incompetent mechanics deliberately skirting aroung the problem to assure job security and repeat business. I am mad as hell and I am not going to take it anymore

G

·
Most doctors when they don't know what to do for you will tell you it's all in your head or it's something else and minimize the pain and other symptoms. In fact they minimize even when it's quite obvious you are in pain right in front of them. I will never understand that. Recently I had something done where I was practically screaming and cried, and the doctor asked me if I was "a little sore." Please. Where do they learn this. I'm inclined to think it happen much more with male doctors and women patients.

G

·
Women are not exclusively treated patronizingly. I have talked with many men frustrated about their doctors treating them with disrespect. Doctors are becoming more and more like car salesmen. In it for the money, not for the cure.

·
Registered
304 Posts
I'm convinced I didn't complain loudly enough while in the throes of my uncontrollable diarrhea which became increasingly more problematic. My gastroenterologist must have thought I had accepted my condition and had learned to live with it. By the time he got around to repeating the colonoscopy almost a year and a half had passed from the time he had performed the first one. By then 95% of my colon was affected with ulcerative colitis. The first colonoscopy showed a normal colon. I have the pictures to prove it! Don't worry about how you come across. Keep searching for a physician who will listen and take you seriously. Best wishes.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I hate doctors. I have worked with them all my life. You have to remember...they work for YOU !And you can fire them. Once had a doctor charge me $10 more as we walked out the door of the exam room....because I asked one more question. I never went back.There are tons of doctors out there. You just have to weed through the bad ones to find one that will work with you. If you have a feeling that something is rotton...get a copy of the last years notes of your record. See if any personal comments were made. My doctor does not make them. She must have learned along time ago, that that was not a good idea. Remarks like that in a persons written record, can come back to haunt the doctor......lawsuits, etc.When a doctor puts you on antidepressants because you are depressed over the pain! That sure is a red flag. If they do not know what is wrong with you. Or can not find something to help you.....and puts you on an antidepressant.......get to another!!!doctor!!!! Geez This is not your problem! It is theirs. And, not wanting to say see my doctor associate....for a second opinion....they put you on a pill. I hate this. I hate to hear it being done, to people. It is so sad!Well, better get off my soap box now.
Have a good weekend!!!!!!!!!!

G

·
One doc wrote in my medical record that I was a "Bowel Baby". I asked a friend who is a nurse what this meant. She said that's what the medical profession calls someone who is obsessed about their bowel movements. Isn't that nice. I have terrible pain, constant D and they wonder why I think about it alot. Some doctors are PIGS. I wish they could have about 6 months of pain, "D", and accidental crapping of the pants. Actually I take this back....I wouldn't wish this one anyone, even my worst enemy.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
FraidyCat -- ooh, now that makes e really upset....your being called "bowel baby"! how demeaning and ignorant.sickofsick -- is it really possible to win lawsuits about what is written in medical records?...hmmm, guess so!------------------Cultivate gratitude. Believe in possibilities.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I was in an auto accident several years and my attorney got the records from my ortho dr - this was before my fms diagnosis. He admitted in the records he did not know what else to do for me! Even after the fms diagnosis they didn't know what to do lol - I can only imagine what my records look like now as I have been to the doctor with some odd complaints but once they did the testing I did have problems.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Tee, hee! I once glanced at my records when they were stuck in the door at the UCLA OB/GYN dept. The prior resident had written, "Asks a lot of anxious questions" (hey, and I'd thought this guy was my friend!) I was having extra-curricular bleeding that year, which he kind of brushed off as OK. Turned out it was something that needed to be taken care of. But probably not nearly as dangerous a scenario as I was making it out to be.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I am
I had a similar experience recently just trying to get written results from some lab work I had done. After six weeks of calling (this is a large medical clinic) I asked to be put through to a "patient advocate". Well, later that day my doctor "found the time" to call me and leave a message on my answering machine stating that she didn't WANT me to do that and if I ever did it again I would have to find another doctor. Needless to say I have found another doctor - hopefully one that is a little more understanding of patient's needs. I have kept her recorded message and plan to write to her (someday), but don't the energy just now to deal with her attitude.Thanks for letting me vent!
Janice

G

·
Had to laugh....I got both my husbands and my medical records....I was 130 lbs and they called me obease....my husband they called muscular. I think doctors are all nuts.

G

·
I just re-read these posts and got even madder. These people may be MD's but they are not trained psycologists. Their attempt at drawing conclusions from our mental health is deplorable...and frankly wouldn't hold up in court. The scary thing is they used these untrained conclusions to decide whether or not to treat us depending on our mental health. Can a doctor be sued for failure to treat? Their predjudice is affecting the treatment they give. And that makes me furious. VC

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Wow! I took a "quick" trip to Los Angeles over the weekend and just got back. (That is one LONG drive!) Anyway, I see that I seem to have hit a hot button with a lot of you! I know exactly how you all feel and many of the posts had me shaking my head.You know, I just realized today that at the bottom of every page, literally, in my file, is an advertistment for a prescription drug. Zoloft and Claritin seem to be the front runners. The receptionist a few appointments ago gave me a "Prilosec" pen, the post-it notes are courtesy of Dexon II (suture threads, I think?), and every time my doc has ever wanted to try me on something she gave me tons of samples, free from the pharmeceutical companies to try out. These doctors are bombarded by advertisements and freebies all day, every day...you think that has something to do with wanting to push the meds? *just a thought!*

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.