Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I know I need the antidepressant for IBS/Fibromyalgia/pain. I am just having problems sleeping with no resolve on Wellbutrin. I have been advised to try Serzone because of its ability to make you sleep, and without weight gain. Has anyone had any bad side effects on this medication? I realize no two persons are alike, but if I could just get a general idea how someone responded/reacted to it, I just might give it a try so I will not be up and down during the middle of the night, and can come into work and not have to go through the motions of pretending like everything is fine!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hi Rowe2I took Serzone before. The only problem is I took it just right before I started my IBS problems. It was a stepping up prosses and where I had to start out taking 50 mg and up to 200 mg when I got to around 100 mg is when I got what I thought was the stomic flu and it tured out to be my IBS. I soon learned afterwards that it can also cause Liver damage. I didn't have any side effects from it while I was taking it and I usaully get side effects. But If it helps with IBS, I am not sure if it will help. Just be carefull if u do decide to take it and good luck

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have been taking Serzone for about 2 years now after trying a variety of other antidepressants that I thought would kill me with their side effects. The only problem that I have had with it is that it took 6 to 8 weeks before i noticed any benefit (I was ready to give up). I take 450 mg a day along with 320 mg a day of Neurontin to enhance the effect of the Serzone. Neurontin is an anti-siezure med that for some reason helps Serzone work better. Thes helped my depression tremendously but did nto make my IBS-C go away.In the last few weeks, I've added Librax to my daily regimen and it seems to help quite a bit. Librax is a combination of 2 chemicals: one relaxes the smooth lining of your gut (eases spasms) and the other is a mild sedative similar to Valium but without the euphoric effect that Valium can sometimes have.My doc was reluctant to give me the Librax because he was concerned that since I have IBS-C, and Librax can cause C, it could become another problem. We took the chance and it has made a huge difference.Didn't mean to go off on a rant but I am grateful for the Serzone and equally grateful for the Librax.Good luck!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.