Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does it bother anyone else that normal exam results aren't phoned to you? It drives me absolutely crazy that after invasive and serious exams, we are forced to wait until we can assume that the results are normal. After my ultrasound, I waited a week until I finally phoned my dr.'s office. They still hadn't received the results - so I had to wait even longer. And when I do phone for the results, I generally hear a rude nurse tell me that normal results aren't phoned in. How much trouble would it be for a nurse to phone patients with normal results too?

·
Registered
256 Posts
I absolutely agree! I work in a clinic and we call or send a letter of all lab, xray, and procedure results, normal or not. It is not just basic courtesy, but good medical practice to keep patients informed and document that they know what is happening to them. Many times other issues that require attention come up when you are giving out normal results. It's also an opportunity to give a person a pat on the back when they have improved their cholesterol or other lab.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I absolutely agree! I work in a clinic and we call or send a letter of all lab, xray, and procedure results, normal or not. It is not just basic courtesy, but good medical practice to keep patients informed and document that they know what is happening to them. Many times other issues that require attention come up when you are giving out normal results. It's also an opportunity to give a person a pat on the back when they have improved their cholesterol or other lab.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Count me in. I was just at the gyno. and I asked when I should call about test results. She said "we don't do that.If there is a slight problem we will notify you by mail.If there is a big problem we will call you". Great. So I can sit here and worry and hope I hear nothing ! That is so stupid! The last Doctor I went to sent a letter with the results, good or bad. I really appreciated it ,plus I could keep the letter with my other medical records in case I should need to refer to it some day. What it boils down to is that they are either trying to save money or are too busy because they have taken on too many paitents. A friend of mine tried to make an appointment for a physical and was told that it would be 18 mos to 2 years before the doctor could see her!! As John Stossel would say -Give me a break !!!! When my father was going through testing when he was diagnosed with cancer it was absolutely ridiculous. He had to wait up to 2 weeks after each test for results and then 2-3 weeks more for follow up appts. It was agonizing. I realize that Drs are busy but there has to be a better way.

·
Registered
693 Posts
Count me in. I was just at the gyno. and I asked when I should call about test results. She said "we don't do that.If there is a slight problem we will notify you by mail.If there is a big problem we will call you". Great. So I can sit here and worry and hope I hear nothing ! That is so stupid! The last Doctor I went to sent a letter with the results, good or bad. I really appreciated it ,plus I could keep the letter with my other medical records in case I should need to refer to it some day. What it boils down to is that they are either trying to save money or are too busy because they have taken on too many paitents. A friend of mine tried to make an appointment for a physical and was told that it would be 18 mos to 2 years before the doctor could see her!! As John Stossel would say -Give me a break !!!! When my father was going through testing when he was diagnosed with cancer it was absolutely ridiculous. He had to wait up to 2 weeks after each test for results and then 2-3 weeks more for follow up appts. It was agonizing. I realize that Drs are busy but there has to be a better way.

·
Registered
442 Posts
HiI wrote exactly the same things in an other message!!!!I'm fed up of that stupid system.Exams and .... nothing!!!Does it means the problem is gone????? NO, NADA, NON, NIET,...Because it's negative then suddenly you'r cured!!! You have to phone. Make an other appointment. Wait a few weeks. See you Dr. Set a new treatment/exam. Wait for the exam. Then back to the beginning ...i.e. no call if negative...----

·
Registered
442 Posts
HiI wrote exactly the same things in an other message!!!!I'm fed up of that stupid system.Exams and .... nothing!!!Does it means the problem is gone????? NO, NADA, NON, NIET,...Because it's negative then suddenly you'r cured!!! You have to phone. Make an other appointment. Wait a few weeks. See you Dr. Set a new treatment/exam. Wait for the exam. Then back to the beginning ...i.e. no call if negative...----

·
Registered
517 Posts
I totally agree with all of you on that one. In my town, they never call (although they always say: We'll call and give you the results...). Not only do you have to sit by the phone, but you always have to take the matters in your own hands. My GP sort of got fed up with me when I returned to inform him that 1. I was still having pain even if all the tests were negative 2. That I wanted him to manage my pain (which he refused to do) 3. That I wanted to see a GYN pronto, to which he said "no you won't have to wait long -" bull**, my appointment is scheduled for January 28 - still two whole months to go (that's going to help me!) 4. Refused to prescribe anti-depressants cause it's too early in the game (gee, if I need some, it would be now more than ever because I am so anxious about my condition).Bottom line folks, unless you are in their face or close to dying, you will always be just another number...Am I bitter? He** yes...
Nat

·
Registered
517 Posts
I totally agree with all of you on that one. In my town, they never call (although they always say: We'll call and give you the results...). Not only do you have to sit by the phone, but you always have to take the matters in your own hands. My GP sort of got fed up with me when I returned to inform him that 1. I was still having pain even if all the tests were negative 2. That I wanted him to manage my pain (which he refused to do) 3. That I wanted to see a GYN pronto, to which he said "no you won't have to wait long -" bull**, my appointment is scheduled for January 28 - still two whole months to go (that's going to help me!) 4. Refused to prescribe anti-depressants cause it's too early in the game (gee, if I need some, it would be now more than ever because I am so anxious about my condition).Bottom line folks, unless you are in their face or close to dying, you will always be just another number...Am I bitter? He** yes...
Nat

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.