Irritable Bowel Syndrome and Digestive Health Support Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys!I am still struggling with excessive intestinal gas (bubbling gut) that seems trapped somewhat and am not getting pain around both hips on a daily basis. I have seperated from an unsupportive husband and am trying to get my life back (ie. working part-time) and even that is a struggle with my new pain. Is there anything that anyone has tried that has helped with the gas and pain??? I have tried numerous over the counter stuff/probiotics, etc. and nothing seems to work for very long. It is incredibly frustrating and at times I get quite depressed over this!! Do I want to live the rest of my life this way? I don't think so! I am considering trying accupuncture (ie. there is a self-accupuncture device called "accuhealth" that proports to help alleviate pain with IBS that comes with a 30 day money back guarantee). What do you guys think? I would love to have a survey of people that have gas problems to find out what if anything works out there!!!! Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
34,955 Posts
What is your diet like? Undigested starches in the colon are a big source of gas and so diet modification might be needed.For the pain things like antispasmodic drugs or herbs like peppermint may be helpful.K.------------------I have no financial, academic, or any other stake in any commercial product mentioned by me.My story and what worked for me in greatly easing my IBS: http://www.ibsgroup.org/ubb/Forum17/HTML/000015.html

·
Registered
102 Posts
Snoopy, I don't get gas that often but when I do, I can never tell if the gas is all that's going to emit (I'm ibs-d)! That's usually when I have those lovely accidents.Occasionally I get gas from too much Imodium.Can you take Gas-X or Phasyme? Sometimes one of those will help me but not always. I think Imodium has come out with something for gas, too.Good luck and keep us posted.-teresa

·
Registered
326 Posts
Snoopy, I know just what you are going through. I am one who suffers with this. Today was a bad day. I just seem to toot, toot and toot. I had to work this afternoon and could not release any gas. As soon as I got off work and got home I let loose. I still have it. I did take a tums a few minutes ago to see if this will work. I have tried alot of things, but can't seem to find something that will take care of it. I will let you know about the tums.

·
Registered
2,847 Posts
Try eliminating a lot of the sugars and acid foods in your diet including fruit, dairy, citrus, tomato, coffee, and alcohol and see what happens. Supplement with any vitamins/minerals that you would normally get from these foods). Did a lot for me. Of course if you have a grain problem, you would have to go through those and try to do the elimination diet thing (wheat, corn, soy etc.). I hate the fact that I can no longer eat some of those foods mentioned anymore, but no gas product ever worked for me. You may not have to eliminate all of them entirely, and be able to tolerate small amounts of them in a diet rotation. [This message has been edited by moldie (edited 03-06-2001).]

·
Registered
72 Posts
Snoopy, I have been battling G for about 6 months. A food journal was helpful for me to figure out what foods were causing it. I used the SCD diet as a guide (www.scdiet.org) but I still cannot eat a lot of the foods on this diet. What I did find out is that dairy and grains are my biggest problem.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
I have been using Culturelle for over a year. It is a special strain of friendly bacteria. It is made to work where it belongs in the large intestines. It can withstand stomach acid with can kill the friendly bacteria. It can be taken at any time.It can control certain kinds of D (intestines with an overgrowth of harmful bacteria) and for me personally has controlled intestinal gas. I take one capsule a day and two if I start to get D. I also have had no yeast infections since I've been taking it.I can't find it in stores, it's there someplace, so I order it by phone. You can find out about it at: http://www.culturelle.com/index.html Whatever you use, be sure it says on the container that it withstand stomach acid. This is often in health food stores in the fridge but I hear they have a brand at GNC stores that does not have to stay in the fridge. I don't know how effective these other brands are.------------------Forever Vikee

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
For me, dietary modifications are often unhelpful and seem to make little improvement. Most supplements and medications are very expensive and also ineffective for many people. Exercise, particularly walking, can help move the muscles around and expel the gas. I also find certain exercises or motions helpful for getting it all out. I usually have to squeeze my entire abdomen like I'm closing up a Ziploc baggie.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I've tried the elimination diet with bread and milk products but the gas still remains. I've taken all kinds of tests and used all of the products for gas but no luck at all.I have strong body odor now which is very hard to get rid of. Everyone thikns its stress but i'm, not sure. The gas only occurs at school and at work.------------------

·
Registered
117 Posts
Snoopy -- I am going to an acupuncturist for my stress/IBS problems. I also suffer from tremendous amounts of gas. It's been a little more than 4-5 weeks since I started and my stress has gone down => less IBS(D) and less gas
. He has been giving me some Chines herbs as well so I don't know what's helping. Acupuncture does NOT work for everyone -- my acupuncturist said he was willing to treat me for a maximum of 8 weekly sessions if I didn't show improvement. I don't know if you will see improvement in 30 days (I did, but everyone's different!), but you have nothing to lose! Acupuncture is supposed to be very good for pain. Let us know if it helps you -- I'd be interested for sure.Gasprob -- I just posted to you in another thread asking you to try a bland diet, but look like you have. Sorry about that!S.

·
Registered
79 Posts
gasprob - elimination of bread and milk might not be enough. i started on this kind of diet but it had no effect. i gradually brought my diet down to lean organic chicken and water and the gas problem disappeared within days. after reintroducing some foods i know for sure that animal fat is a major trigger for me and it doesn't take much of it to get me going.

·
Registered
79 Posts
well i only eat a few foods at the moment because i'm still in the process of reintroducing them. when i started on organic chicken only, i would skin it and boil it and then just eat pieces of it throughout the day and the following day. i knew within 2 days that it worked but from what i've read people suggest you try this for a week. you could start on a friday so that gives you the weekend in the comfort of your own home to try the diet without worrying about being hungry all day at school/work. at the moment i eat lots of peaches & pears throughout the day and drink lots of water. as well as boiled chicken i can also eat very lean lamb & beef which i oven cook until they're very well done. i've started eating white rice which seems to be going down well.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Gasprob, I have started eating a banana for breakfast everyday becasue I read somewhere that bananas are good for gas. Try it, you might find it works for you.For lunch, I carry some stuff I dump into the microwave -- one of the store bought rice thingies (Lipton Spanish rice is my personal favourite) with some spinach. These usually have spices, but for some reason they agree with me.I'm mostly vegetarian, so dinner is Brownberry wheat bread with stir fried veggies (you could microwave)I hope this helps you gasprob -- you seem to be having a tough time these days.Gotta go - Survivor's on!S.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I too have had a lot of gas and I believe enteric coated peppermint capsules can help. The only brand I have found is Peppermint plus by Enzymatic Therapy. The coating protects them from stomach acid so they get to the intestine, where the gas is. I aslo take calcium everyday, but don't know if it helps with the gas as much as it helps with D.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.